Helichrysum, Licorice Plant
Helichrysum petiolare 'White Licorice'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Helichrysum (hel-ih-KRY-sum) (Info)
Species: petiolare (pet-ee-OH-lair-ee) (Info)
Cultivar: White Licorice

Aloha, Oregon

Salem, Oregon

Pikeville, Tennessee

On Jul 2, 2008, stevelvv from San Diego, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is the second season and the plant is thriving beautifully. Now it is in full bloom and the flowers have a golden yellow appearance in small clusters. A very unique, pungent smell that attracts flies. Not noticeable unless you get a very close whiff. Excellent on a retaining wall in a dry landscape environment. Can be a focal point in a rock garden. I highly recommend this plant.

On May 13, 2004, nanette0269 from Bradenton, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant is thriving in zone 9B. The mound is about 2' tall and home to several lizards now! I cut it back last week by 1/3, so now its only about 5' long. Its foliage is very dense on top and slowly spreads and takes over other plants, but can easily be pulled out without the need of heavy duty scissors.

On Jul 25, 2003, Chel wrote:

I live in zone 6/7 (Missouri). I have this plant in a hanging basket since it is not hardy in my zone. I love the way it looks and feels to touch. However, I think a bird tried building a nest in the middle of my plant with PINE NEEDLES - at first I couldn't figure out why the leaves were turning brown because I was watering it (not overwatering) and it just wasn't doing well at all. Therefore, my conclusion would be that it does NOT do well in ACIDIC soil. I am going to re-pot with fresh soil and see if it will do any better. I was planning on wintering the plant indoors, so I hope it doesn't die.
I hope this info helps.

On Mar 14, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Helychrysium is a trailing plant that will fill in quickly and spread to make a thick mound. It's silver foliage is especially nice in a container planting where it will spill over the edges and mingle with other flowering plants. It prefers full sun and is tolerant of dry conditions. However, it will perform better with extra water when it's extremely dry.