PlantFiles: Sweet Shrub, Carolina Allspice, Strawberry Shrub, Bubby Bush, Sweet Betsy, Florida Spice Bush, Flori
Calycanthus floridus

Family: Calycanthaceae
Genus: Calycanthus (kal-ee-KAN-thus) (Info)
Species: floridus (FLOR-id-us) (Info)

Synonym:Calycanthus sterilis

Herbs

Partial to Full Shade

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Maroon (Purple-Brown)
Brown/Bronze

Aromatic

This plant is resistant to deer

From hardwood cuttings

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By gonedutch

Thumbnail #6 of Calycanthus floridus by samkar

By Kim_M
Thumbnail #7 of Calycanthus floridus by Kim_M

Positive bobbieberecz On Jun 2, 2014, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

Not sure whether to rate this a neutral or positive. I have two plants that get partial sun and mostly shade. Both are in very fast draining soil. One gets a few hours of morning sun the other just an hour or two of hot afternoon sun. Both have leafed out beautifully with plenty of blossoms. Why neutral? At the nursery I literally followed my nose to the shrub that was perfuming the air from quite a distance away. I was so intoxicated I bought 2 plants on the spot, though I was told I would have a grove quickly if I didn't keep on top of the suckering. My plants both smell like sour rotting apples....not at all spicy. The second reason for neutral is that it is a nice green bush but the dark flowers can ONLY be seen up close. This is a good bush for one of those winding garden paths but if you're looking for color that you can see from your porch or lawn chair across the yard, this isn't it. It survived with no dieback our unusually cold winter. So far it's been a good sport and is doing its job in the garden.....just wish the scent was there as that was the whole reason I bought it in the first place.

Positive _emily_rose On Apr 2, 2014, _emily_rose from Chattanooga , TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have a 'thicket' of Carolina Allspice near the edge of my woods. These are either wild, or descendants of plants that would have been set out in the 1960s. They are in quite a bit of shade, but grow to about 6 feet tall, and cover about a 20 foot wide area. I am considering transplanting a small number of them into a shade garden I am developing.

Positive cargarden On Sep 16, 2013, cargarden from Goodview, MN wrote:

Live in Winona, Mn zone 4 but getting warmer each year except for last year. I have 3 Sweet shrubs and found out where you get them desides on the size of flower at least in my case and the flowers really don't have too much of a fraqrance but the leaves and stem do (strong). Wish the flowers did, I have the white, and the maroon from White Farm which are a larger flower and a maroon from Spring Hill with a smaller flower. I am confused on should they be in full sun or shade as different places call for either, They are in full sun and also have one in part shade. How do you get them so you get the fragrance so you can smell with out breaking the wood. Have a few dogs next door to us and that is why I got them because they say it freshes the air. As you know what dogs do if the extremities are not picked up.

Positive flutterby267 On Jun 27, 2013, flutterby267 from Taunton, MA wrote:

We have one of these on the property that my grandparents planted. It's over 50 years old, planted in almost full sun. There is the remnant (suckers, I can't get my mother to let me replace it), of a quince next to it that gives it some shade in the middle of the day. It still blooms like a champ in late spring with plenty of seed pods to follow.

Positive whipporwill On May 19, 2013, whipporwill from Middlebury, IN wrote:

My sweet shrub is growing(and scenting) nicely in Northern Indiana. It has been divided several times. It was transported from my childhood home in the Shenandoah Valley of VA. and doing well in Elkhart Co. IN. A great conversation plant and deer don't bother it!

Negative Samamfee On Sep 8, 2012, Samamfee from Rome, GA wrote:

I got some seeds of this plant. But I read here that the seeds will not grow here. So I'm back at square one or I need to buy the friggen bush instead.

Neutral countrylife4me On Jun 3, 2012, countrylife4me from Beargrass, NC wrote:

I have a question. My Sweet Betsy bush has never flowered. I moved it and put it in a pot where it has been for a couple of years now. Any suggestions as to what to do for it? I live on a wooded lot with very little sunshine.
Thanks

Neutral Brckfield On Apr 15, 2012, Brckfield from Hazel Dell North, WA wrote:

My sweet shrub is growing beautifully, however, there is no fragrance. I live in WA state.
any one have an idea why the plant has no fragrance.

Neutral joylederman On May 26, 2011, joylederman from Dover, PA wrote:

I have a question about Sweet Shrub. This is often listed as a plant attractive to birds & wildlife (in fact, I just got one from Tractor Supply, specifically sold as "Plants for Birds & Wildlife"). What is the feature of the plant that the critters like? Do birds eat the seedheads? Just wondering.

Positive JMCDawg On May 20, 2011, JMCDawg from Statesboro, GA wrote:

My Parents had Sweet Scrub planted outside bedroom window. It was always so good waking up with this sweet aroma in the air. Daddy would keep several blooms in his shirt pockets and pass them out at church. They are both gone now. Daddy passed this past November at the age of 98. There anniversary would have been May 5. I fill a vase with cuttings and put at the cemetary. I could sense there smile.

Neutral mentinsel On May 4, 2011, mentinsel from BREST
France (Zone 9a) wrote:

Hi from FRANCE
I'm looking for informations about calycanthus
According to french nurserymen
Calycanthus floridus seem to have no scent
I am fan of fragant shrubs
What do you think ?

Positive daisys_tia On Feb 21, 2011, daisys_tia from Battleboro, NC wrote:

My grandparents lived in a small town in NC and they had, as my Granny called it, " a Sweet Betsy Bush." This bush would be in bloom by mid spring and seemed like it would bloom through the summer. As kids playing and Granny watching us from her porch swing she would tell us to brush by the bush or pinch one so we could smell the sweet aroma as we played. This brings back such sweet memories of times gone by. As I remember, it was a hardy bush and all of us grandchildren loved to pick a blossom and smell it all day. The more you pinched it the better it smelled. For everyone that has one of the shrubs, I hope it brings great memories to you as well. I plan on planting some by my front porch so my grandchildren can have this wonderful experience also!!

Neutral RosemaryK On Feb 13, 2011, RosemaryK from Lexington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Wow! I can't wait to smell one. These are the cultivars listed In Dirr's Hardy Shrubs and Trees: 'Athens' or 'Katherine': a deliciously fragrant yellow flowered clone with heavier textured dard green leaves that turn golden yellow in autum; 'Edith Wilder': like the specieis but with guaranteed floral fragrance; 'Michael Lindsey': fragrant maroon flowers and spinach colored leaves on a more compact framework. I have also looked over the hybrids with the Chinese plant such as 'Hartlage Wine,' and although they sound great in looks, one can't expect them to inherit the fragrance of our American species. Now the job is to wait and smell some in bloom in order to choose. My local New England nurseries claim they sell them out every year.

Positive Pelfrey1 On Nov 8, 2010, Pelfrey1 from Ooltewah, TN wrote:

Having grown up with Sweet Shrubs in the South, while some find them invasive, I love having them around. They grow in most any soil, even the clay-chirt mixture of the south-TN area where I now live. I did come by a rather unusual green-flowered form with an intense fragrance that wafts through the entire garden in summer evenings. It has viable seed pods and I'm presently raising seedlings. Can't wait to see how it grows!

Positive burien_gardener On Nov 8, 2010, burien_gardener from Burien (SW Seattle), WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have a large spice bush in my south Seattle, Puget Sound garden. It does take a gardener to appreciate the flowers as it is not showy. However, I've seen White Flower Farm (?) offer a variety or hybrid with large white camellia-like flowers.

As to propagation, my observation is that spice bush is one of those thicket-forming understory plants. Mine has produced a number of suckers and I get to distribute them through my garden -- Yea, free plants!

Positive shannon2299 On Nov 8, 2010, shannon2299 from Owen Sound

Hi : I live in Owen Sound, Ontario,Canada...we have a Carolina Allspice in our back yard, it is about 30 years old now...My mother brought home a cutting from BC. Canada from my cousins...It stands around 10 feet now...One problem..I have tried to start a new plant. from softwood, and hardwood cuttings...It does not produce seed pods in the fall..can anyone tell me how come it does not produce seeds pods..I have had no luck starting new plants...I could use some advise...Thanks Shannon

Positive GardenSite On Jun 25, 2010, GardenSite from Woodbridge, VA wrote:

My "bubby-rose" as grandma called it, grew from a seed pod off a huge old bush at my grandmothers house in Pulaski, VA. This is its 12th year and did it ever blossom. I counted 37 blossoms while previous years have ranged from 0 to 3. And oh they smell so good... It has survived 4 in-state moves, various containers and at 3ft tall is the heartiest it has been.

During my 12 years of watching I researched to find out the name and where it came from. At the start I knew of one at grandmas and one across the street from grandmas. It was certainly a surprise when I volunteered at Woodlawn Plantation to find it growing "like a weed" according to the regular workers, as they were trying to thin it out. The head gardener directed me to Monticello. There I found one growing to the left of the steps leading to the Jefferson cemetery. Jefferson detailed its name and origins in some of his writings at the gift shop.(which helped me find this website) I found one growing across from the Tiger/Lion area at the National Zoo in Washington DC. Even one of my old friends had one growing in his backyard in Arlington, Va.

I'll always cherish the times of my youth at grandmas when right after sunset it's cinnamon-like smell would fill the air. It has been an eye opener to see where all else the bubby-rose has been. If anyone knows some more historic places to find the bubby-rose please post. Thank you for reading and thank you for posting.

Positive gonedutch On May 7, 2010, gonedutch from Fairport, NY wrote:

I read from comments here that the scent of the flowers reminds readers of applesauce, cinnamon, and nutmeg. My olfactory association is with baked pineapple upside-down cake. The crushed foliage and bark have a more pungent scent still. I find the dozen or so plants in my garden grow well but individual stems are short-lived; about four years. I thin out the old growth each season and find that new growth comes back more vigorously. Here in north-western NY the maximum height of the shrub is about five feet. It grows equally vigorously in sun and shade. And it tolerates growing near Black Walnut trees; an added benefit in our area where squirrels have spread walnut trees all over residential gardens.

Positive totheMax On Apr 8, 2010, totheMax from Easton, MD wrote:

When I first moved to my husbands family home in Starr on Maryland's Eastern Shore, there was a very old Carolina Allspice there. It had been planted some 50 years prior by my husband's grandmother. It was nestled in an eastern corner of our old farmhouse, watered by rain that ran off of the un-guttered roof. It was as large as an elephant, and smelled heavenly of strawberries and melon, sometimes banana! When we tore down the old house, we had an excavator dig up the large plant and move it to another part of our yard....where it languished in somewhat declining form for a few years. We moved to Easton Md. bringing with us a much smaller portion of the shrub bush. This new portion was only large enough to fit into a child's bucket, yet in the last two years it is thriving once again. Looks and smells wonderful. It is over 6 ft. tall. I'll trim it to a somewhat more manageable size. It is once again planted on the eastern side of our home.
My sister in law bought an Allspice from a nursery and was very disappointed to find the blossoms without any fragrance and even worse this look alike impostor set out runners into her neighbors yard!

Negative vossner On Dec 17, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

My carolina allspice is still in the "stick" phase. Young plants need winter protection the first year.

update: did not survive my area. Tried growing it twice in suitable locations.

Positive zanlpn On Dec 17, 2009, zanlpn from Bristol, TN wrote:

I have a Sweet Shrub in my backyard from the home where I grew up. (Grew up and live in Upper East TN). I got a 2' "stick" 8 yrs ago from that home and it is now about 8' tall and doing wonderfully well. Maroon flowers with the strawberry aroma. Not real invasive but does multiply. This is from stock that is 60+ years old. Wouldn't trade it for anything! Is in full sun most of the day and is partially shaded by a pine tree. It only gets watered when it rains. Would recommend this plant to anyone who wants an old fashioned plant with a lovely scent.

Positive Jo_Ann610 On Jul 20, 2009, Jo_Ann610 from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant was growing in full sun in the back yard of the house I bought in Norristown, PA in 2003. It has done very well, considering most sources say it should grow in partial to full shade. I do love the smell of the flowers.

Neutral SantaRosaGal On Nov 16, 2008, SantaRosaGal from Jay, FL wrote:

8b Santa Rosa County, FL
I bought this shrub online. When it arrived 3 yrs ago it was two "bare sticks" in a pot about 2 feet tall. I planted it where it receives the morning and mid afternoon sun and shade in the late afternoon and evening. It did well for the first 1 1/2 yrs, grew to about 4 feet and leafed out well. Then a worker accidentally drug a large hose over it and snapped off the top half of the plant This year it grew back again but still has not bloomed. I am afraid it is getting too much exposure to our NW Florida sun as the leaf tips are brown, curled, and easily crumble in my hand by mid summer even though they get a fair amount of water. I am going to transplant it to a shady location this Fall to see if that will help.

Positive dee_cee On Apr 6, 2008, dee_cee from Birmingham, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

My grandmother had one of these at the side of her house when I was a kid & I always loved the smell. I was delighted to discover one growing in my back yard among a clump of althea when I bought this place a few years ago. I cut the althea back to give it room & it has gotten bigger & produces more flowers each year.

Positive kristywins On Nov 24, 2007, kristywins from Raleigh, NC wrote:

Re: Poisonous plant claim

I just wanted to note that someone has commented that this plant is poisonous and that is only partially true. Once upon a time the bark of this plant was used as a spice and may still be done safely since the only poisonous part of the plant is the seed - and then only if taken in large quantities.

Positive dirtybirdie On Feb 6, 2006, dirtybirdie from Union City, TN wrote:

I have a Sweet Shrub growing in my front yard. It was planted in 1942 & still going strong. I let it get quiet big, about 25 feet around , then trim it back a bit. My front yard joins the hiway & this shrub is really an attention getter. Have had many quirys about it. It's in full sun & fairly hard dirt, so guess they would survive about anywhere.

Positive ppatnaude On Jan 31, 2006, ppatnaude from Amherst, MA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Grows Well In Amherst MA one other interesting aspect to this plant is it's seed pod.

Positive escambiaguy On Dec 30, 2005, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

My great grandmother used to live on the same land that I do today and while she died before I was born, my mom has told me stories about about how she would wrap the blooms in a hankerchief and take them to church with her. She would smell them while sitting in church. It is a very long lived plant. Mine is over 40 years old. The only negative comment about the plant is that it spreads like crazy. I have to constantly prune the suckers. If left alone you will have a yard full of sweetshrub.

Positive Peachdumplin On Mar 22, 2005, Peachdumplin wrote:

I relocated from New York to SC some 15 years ago. In our yard off the back deck was a shrub, which my grand mother, who was a native to this area, called a "Sweet Bubby Bush".

She said that in her youth, she learned that she could use the flowers from this shrub as a sachet in her clothing drawers, which was common practice of young women in this area in the 1920's and 30's.

The Sweet Bubby Bush has a wonderful fragrance, and is a hardy shrub to grow in Spartanburg SC. We once transplanted this 7 foot shrub, and it survived, and continues to flourish in it's new location.

Positive carrieebryan On Oct 20, 2004, carrieebryan from Independence, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

My parents' house in College Park, MD had this and also I grew it in West Allis, WI. We called it "applesauce bush" because it smells exactly like warm cinnamon-flavored applesauce. In my 30-year plan I intend to add it to my garden in Independence, MO and am looking forward to it eagerly!

Positive WendyAloha On Sep 27, 2004, WendyAloha from Beaverton, OR wrote:

I have just purchased my first Sweet Betsy bush and am hoping for a happy shrub here in Oregon. I was inspired by my father-in-law who reminisced so charmingly about young girls carrying the buds (I'm not sure if by that he meant the flowers or the seed pods, since both are supposed to be fragrant) in their handkerchiefs tucked in a warm spot (I'll bet that's why it's called 'bubby bush' or 'bosom bush') as a substitute for the perfume they couldn't afford or weren't allowed to wear back in Depression-era North Carolina. I'm dying for a whiff, so hope it is happy on my north facing wooded hillside!

Positive Charleen43 On Jun 18, 2004, Charleen43 from Claremont, NH wrote:

We just cut down an old rotting non-blooming lilac in our back yard and discovered this plant in full bloom hiding amongst the "runners" of the lilac tree. What a surpise! We only moved into this house last Christmas so we had no clue what was growing around the house until this spring when all the snow was gone. I asked several of my sibling "master" gardeners and my Mom who knows every plant from New England just about and she had never seen or smelt anything like it...nor had anyone else. Tomorrow I was going to take a slip of it to the local nursery, BUT today I was thumbing through my shade gardening books and there was the allspice shrub staring me in the face. Again, Wow what a surprise and what a specimen.

Right now it is in full sun (all day sun) and from my readings it states it does best in shade - before we cut down the tree it was hidden in the shade by the dead lilac.

Neutral spaceman_spiff On May 29, 2004, spaceman_spiff from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have also heard the name "bubby" associated with this plant. My grandmother had one in her yard in Boone County, West Virginia, and always called it a "bubby rose." My aunt there had one, too, and I have seen it in several places in that area of West Virginia.

A few years ago I ordered one in the mail from a nursery in the Carolinas and planted it in my yard in St. Petersburg, FL, since the nursery catalog said it was zoned for as far south as Zone 9. It grew successfully for a couple of years, and right about when it bloomed for the first time, I sold the house and moved. I divided a couple of rooted sections to bring with me to my new house, but it failed to grow successfully. After 3 or so years of appearing very sick-looking (and never blooming), it finally died. I decided to order another larger plant, which has been in my garden for about 2 months. It bloomed shortly after I planted it, and had many flowers, but I was very disappointed that the flowers had NO fragrance at all! The odor was the main reason I wanted it. I'm concerned that the leaves are not getting as big as I remember, so I'm wondering whether it dislikes the soil in my garden. But I'm especially disappointed about the lack of odor, and am wondering if this is a result of the soil as well. The nursery catalog touted the fragrance as a noted point of the plant, so I would expect that they would have sent me a fragrant variety.

Positive mommas_angels On May 13, 2004, mommas_angels from Elizabethton, TN wrote:

I live in the tri-cities area of Northeast Tennessee, this plant is not only known as the sweet shrub bush, it is also called "bubby bush". I was introduced to this plant by my mother-in-law. My brother-in-law gave me 2 starts of this bush and when ever I move I always take 2 starts of this plant with me. No, I have not moved across state lines with it and I would be completely devastated if ever I had to leave it behind. I enjoy the fragrance that blows into my home each spring and early summer as it blooms. I feel that everyone who enjoys the sweet smell of cinnamon.

Positive samkar On Oct 3, 2003, samkar from Lake Lure, NC wrote:

Attractive, intriging - brown flowers have a scent of ripe apples. Wood and leaves have a scent of camphor, and bark similar to cinnamon.

While plant is called 'Allspice', it is toxic, and must not be used as a herb or spice.

Positive patp On Jun 2, 2003, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I know this plant as Carolina allspice; other names are sweetshrub and strawberry shrub. Grows vigorously in shade or semi-shade. Soil ranges from acid to neutral. Native in rich moist woodlands; colonizes to form thickets. Grows 6-8 ft high. It's been called 'bosom' plant because the lady of the house would pluck the blossoms to put in her bosom when going out on the town.

Positive lupinelover On Jan 10, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Although this shrub is very easily started from seed, the fragrance varies from slight to heavy from seed-grown plants. The best way to ensure you get one that is nicely fragrant is to get a rooted cutting or sucker from a known plant.

Neutral darius On Jul 19, 2001, darius from So.App.Mtns.
United States (Zone 5b) wrote:

Sweet shrub grows 6-9' tall x 6-12' spread, often by suckers (which transplant easily). Flowers in May-June, with reddish-maroon flowers, but some var. have chartreuse flowers, and some have white flowers. The native shrubs found in the Smokey Mountains have reddish-maroon flowers. The bark was widely used in the mountains as a substitute for allspice.

The attractive seed pods are about 2" long, roughly shaped like a tear drop, with vertical ridged sides.

Zones 4-9.

Neutral tiG On Jul 19, 2001, tiG from Newnan, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Seeds may be sown in containers of sandy loam in March or April. Plants may be divided in the spring. Cuttings can also be taken in July and inserted in sandy soil in a propagating case in a greenhouse or frame.
These hardy, vigorous-growing, deciduous shrubs are found wild in the United States

Atmore, Alabama
Fitzgerald, Georgia
Hoboken, Georgia
Marietta, Georgia
Peachtree City, Georgia
Rome, Georgia (2 reports)
Villa Rica, Georgia
Machesney Park, Illinois
Waukegan, Illinois
Greenville, Indiana
Clermont, Kentucky
Georgetown, Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky
Louisville, Kentucky (2 reports)
Jarreau, Louisiana
Syracuse, New York
Warwick, New York
Asheville, North Carolina
Battleboro, North Carolina
Beaufort, North Carolina (2 reports)
Belmont, North Carolina
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
Norristown, Pennsylvania (2 reports)
Sharon, Pennsylvania
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
Woonsocket, Rhode Island
Charleston, South Carolina (2 reports)
Columbia, South Carolina
Toone, Tennessee
Belton, Texas
Tyler, Texas
Logan, Utah
Arlington, Virginia (2 reports)
Callao, Virginia