Elephant Garlic
Allium ampeloprasum

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: ampeloprasum (am-pel-oh-PRAY-sum) (Info)

Bulbs

Vegetables

Herbs

Purple

By dividing the bulb's scales

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Mobile, Alabama

Vinton, Ohio

Garber, Oklahoma

Hulbert, Oklahoma

Gold Hill, Oregon

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

South Beach, Oregon

Cookeville, Tennessee

Knoxville, Tennessee

Abilene, Texas (2 reports)

Arlington, Texas

Jonesville, Virginia

Madison Heights, Virginia

Bellevue, Washington

On Jun 1, 2012, Irislover_73 from Bellefonte, AR wrote:

This plant is SOOOO easy to grow and is not bothered by pests in our garden. The mild flavor makes it perfect for cooking, especially when children are eating the dish. The only thing with our's is that it does not make cloves, each plant produces just one big bulb.

On May 31, 2012, graceful_garden from Hahira, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Be sure to save the bulbils that form amongst the roots of Elephant Garlic - plant them, & they are supposed to form a solid bulb the first year, then a multi-cloved "head" the second year. Just harvesting my first real crop of Elephant garlic - after planting purchased "pearls" last fall. These pearls are young solid bulbs. Have about 6 bulbils on each of the harvested "heads", so will cure these & plant them in the fall.

On May 22, 2012, trooperwon from New Paltz, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

I planted the cloves in June of 2011. It did not flower. I left them in the ground all winter. they came back to life this spring of 2012 and they are about to flower. I will collect the seeds and try to grow the plants from seed next year.

On Mar 1, 2011, grovespirit from Sunset Valley, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I like to grow this plant just for its lovely flowers, because I don't want to have to water it a lot to get the big, edible cloves from it. Produces a very ornamental inflorescence similar to the commercial showy allium called 'drumstick allium'.

On Apr 13, 2009, texasflora_com from De Leon, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I find large clumps of this garlic (or actually leek) growing wild around many old homeplaces that were abandoned long ago. I contacted the garlic expert Bob at gourmetgarlicgardens.com and he told me what it was and that if watered, it would really form the large cloves familiar in the supermarket, but I've never seen these plants actually do so, but most I've seen got no care at all and survived all droughts, so maybe with some care, they will form the cloves. Bob said the plant was introduced by German settlers in Texas 150 years ago.

On Sep 1, 2005, Scorpioangel from Gold Hill, OR (Zone 7a) wrote:

just a side note .... critters also like this garlic. Ground squirrils, voles, and gophers. Lost a clump of EG again this year. Thank goodness I have it planted elsewhere.

On May 8, 2005, emilyrasmus from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

A number of elephant garlic bulbswere planted in the garden a number of years ago and now it's growing in every bed, even the shady beds. It's growing everywhere. From when I see a little stalk, I leave it until the next year and then harvest the mild-tasting cloves. It's bothered by few pests, but quickly multiplies.

On Apr 7, 2005, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love Elephant garlic, it is very easy to grow and very reliable, the cloves are large and very mild. I normally grow enough to keep us and our friends supplied for the year. Also the cloves can be frozen whole on a tray, and after they are frozen they can be bagged and they won't stick together, giving you access to whichever ammount of garlic you might need any time of year.

On Jan 23, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Elephant garlic is very mild, its cloves are much bigger than regular garlic. It is really more closely related to leeks than true garlic. It can be used as a substitute for either in cooking.