PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing
Ferment seeds before storing

Regular Leaf

Thumbnail #1 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by cricketsese

Thumbnail #2 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by cricketsese

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by cricketsese

Positive 2gardenkate On Dec 28, 2010, 2gardenkate from Crofton, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

This variety has been a reliable producer for me here in the mid-Atlantic. I like the flavor and the tomatoes have been some of my biggest. I had success with RC Mortgage Lifter in 2009 when we had a cool, rainy start to the growing season and again in 2010 when we had record heat waves.

Positive dlbailey On Feb 19, 2010, dlbailey from Central Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant does produce fruit in the Central Valley if planted before 100 degree weather hits. The two years that I have grown ML it has produced 5-10 huge, very delicious fruit. One of the best tasting tomatoes. It is worth the space eventhough it is not a big producer.

Positive gardenbugde On Feb 18, 2010, gardenbugde from Smyrna, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grew this for the first time in 2009 and had great success! I had a problem with BER for a while, then after I gave them a dose of calcium, they were fine! I stuck a plant in the compost heap and from that plant I got my biggest tomato--- over 1 1/2 pounds! These are yummy! Remember that they don't get brilliant red, but have a pink tinge to them when ripe. If you wait too long, they will get mushy. They are on my must grow list for 2010!!!

Neutral Suze_ On Dec 14, 2007, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Better than average flavor, but not a favorite of mine.

Neutral jjpm74 On Aug 9, 2007, jjpm74 from Stratford, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

Plants produce huge fruits. Good disease resistence. My largest was almost 4 pounds. Good for slicing, but lacking in the flavor department.

Positive buddym On Feb 7, 2003, buddym from Creal Springs, IL wrote:

Good yield, no disease. Production slowed some when temps hit the mid-90's (Zone 6-Southern Illinois), but picked up again. Taste was outstanding, very meaty with few seeds and little gel. Canned nicely, great slicer.

Neutral aceayers On Feb 6, 2003, aceayers from Casey, IA wrote:

Good disease resistance. Had a lot of blossom end rot 2002 but these toes were not effected. Great producer but not anything special on taste.

Anderson, California