Hardy Chrysanthemum
Chrysanthemum x rubellum 'Sheffield'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Chrysanthemum (kris-AN-the-mum) (Info)
Species: x rubellum (ROO-bell-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Sheffield
Additional cultivar information:(aka Sheffield Pink, Pink Sheffield)

Smiths, Alabama

Norfolk, Virginia

Warrenton, Virginia

Ellsworth, Wisconsin

On Feb 20, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

One of the most popular of garden chrysanthemums. A pale single salmon-pink, one of the later varieties to bloom. This is said to have been rescued from an old garden in Sheffield, MA, and re-named after the town as the original name was lost. Sometimes sold under the incorrect name 'Clara Curtis.'

Garden chrysanthemums (including the "rubellum hybrids"---a trade name rather than a botanical one) are distinctly different from the "hardy mums" commonly sold in garden centers in the fall for bedding. For garden chrysanthemums to winter over reliably, they need to be planted in the spring. They're heavy feeders and tend to exhaust the soil quickly. Clumps tend to die out in the centers. They also tend to spread rather quickly, though they're easily pulled out where not wanted. ... read more

On Oct 17, 2013, ginlyn from Harford County, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

I first got this as a potted plant several years ago. Eventually I kept planting cuttings here, there and everywhere. I just love them and love how airy they look as cut flowers.

Would anyone have any idea as to why the ones on the south west side of my house have, for the last 2 years, come up white ? They're still pretty but I wish they would stay pink.

On Nov 12, 2012, Gracye from Warrenton, VA wrote:

I bought three plants this Spring. They were barely twigs, finally planted them a month later. They grew, I neglected them, they grew, I ignored them, they grew...
This Fall, they were over three feet tall, and fairly bushy. The huge amount of buds appeared. The beigey-brown color made my heart sink. Hubby noticed them, commented about the color "blending" into the landscape. Heart sank further.
They opened. BREATHTAKING! Soft, dainty, clearly pink, pointy, single flowers. Cut a ton of them for Church. A month later, my Church still has them, good thing cuz Hurricane Sandy ripped the plants up BIG TIME. Cut them almost to the ground, they look like they'll be just fine next year. I want MORE.

On May 6, 2011, natalie4b from Roswell, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Spreads rapidly, and can be a great filler where you need to cover lots of space. Easily pulled to keep in check.
Butterflies and bees love it. Though fragrance is not particularly wonderful, it looks lovely when blooms with it's peachy-pink happy heads. Does best in full sun, however it grows in shady areas of my garden, being on rather smaller side.

On Feb 25, 2011, whitesam9 from Dayton, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted this last year. It stayed fairly small all Summer so I didn't pinch it back. But it took off growing in early Fall and was absolutely covered in peachy-pink flowers from mid- to late- Fall. Very late bloomer, and the display of flowers that late in the year was just breathtaking.

On Oct 28, 2006, carrielamont from Milton, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I don't know where I first saw this gorgeous plant, or why I first fell in love with it. I think I (reluctantly) paid for it in winter 2005. I had totally forgotten about transaction by 2006 spring, I gave it to my helper to plant. I'm in love with this plant all over again, and this time, it's MINE! As the Asters are finishing, it springs forth from nowhere and what a performance. Also a great cut flower, long lasting in the vase!

On Apr 24, 2005, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I recieved about 5 small pieces of this plant in a trade in 2004 out of the 5, I had 2 pieces to survive, that was the ones that made the flowers in 2004 (NOV.)

Now in 2005 the area the plants take up is fantastic, I have a ton of plants and will probably trade some with the neighbors, I cannot wait to see the Fall show this year, 2005.

I pulled my clump down by two thirds early 2006, and now they are going more strongly than ever. The flow clumps top now reaches about 4 feet on either side of my walkway. They seem to like where they are in the slight afternoon shading of my dogwood tree and tea olive. Very late blooms this year with all our adverse weather.
This is one of the very few things the deer did not erraticate this year. (I am adding lo... read more

On Jan 8, 2003, Cactus_Joe from Vancouver

Profuse blooms in the fall provides a suitable final high light for the garden. There is no better plant to give your garden that final flourish. It is at it's most dramatic when planted en masse. It is hardy in zone 7, and hardiness may be pushed down with adequate mulching. It is easy to propagate by taking cuttings throughout the growing season.