Dwarf Mouse-ear Tickseed, Lobed Tickseed 'Nana'

Coreopsis auriculata

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Coreopsis (kor-ee-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: auriculata (aw-rik-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Nana

Vale, North Carolina

Whitehall, Pennsylvania

Knoxville, Tennessee

Alice, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Garland, Texas

Newport News, Virginia

Orchards, Washington

Birchwood, Wisconsin

On Sep 19, 2014, anelson from Birchwood, WI (Zone 3b) wrote:

It surprises me that this plant is listed as being hardy only to zone 5a, because I have been growing it in zone 3b for 3-4 years now without any problem. It is not in a protected location, but has our good ol' Wisconsin freezing West winter winds hitting it full blast all winter. It has a very tidy low growth habit, forming a nice mound of darker green leaves. In early spring it sends up it's bright yellow blooms whose stems radiate out in every direction - not just straight up, and set off well against the dark foliage background.

On Jun 9, 2011, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I use yellow and orange colors only sparingly in my gardens, and I have had very poor luck with coreopsis in general. I planted several Jethro Tull, Creme Brulee, and Sweet Dreams over the years, only to lose them all. I planted three of these near the end of the season last year, so they did not bloom. But holy cow -- this spring they are full of bright orange-yellow flowers which look great with the dark green foliage. I love it! I'm a fanatic about deadheading, so we'll see how much repeat bloom I can get out of these--but I'd like them even if they only bloom in the spring.
Update 2012: Nana blooms prolifically and repeatedly for me (with deadheading). I'm writing this in late October, and most of the plants recently had a flower or two on them even after several frosts ... read more

On Dec 13, 2010, Get_growing from Dallas, TX wrote:

Early bloomer, March (?) here in Dallas. Yellow flowers on long stems are cute, but nothing special, and foliage is decent. I rate it negative because of the extremely short bloom time...about a month or so. This was true for me even with deadheading. Was a mealybug magnet! For the space they take, it wasn't worth it, so I yanked 'em up last summer.
There are far better coreopsis and/or early bloomering choices than this.

On Jun 15, 2008, Meig from Far Northwest 'burbs, IL (Zone 4b) wrote:

So far I am not very impressed with this plant. It does form a nice mound of foliage, but so far I haven't seen much in the way of flowers. It has been planted for a year in my garden. Unlike my other coreopsis, it doesn't seem to rebloom for me, even after deadheading. I have it planted in full sun, in two different spots, in completely different areas of my yard, and both plants have performed in the same way.

On Jun 4, 2007, aspenbooboo41 from Whitehall, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I also love this plant! I have posted a picture of one of mine in full bloom with what seems to be a hundred flowers.
The flowers rise a good 8-12" from the plant and they are such a vibrant yellow that they almost seem to glow. These plants are definitely eye-catchers. The foliage is a very nice deep green and looks good all season.
I have mine in average garden soil wherethey get sun from morning til about 1pm. Last year (first year) plants were pretty much just foliage with only a few flowers (which bloomed at foliage level so were kind of hidden). I was so excited to see them come back this year, about 3 times bigger, and with such spectacular blooms.
Cons- Pillbugs and slugs. However, the slug holes aren't that noticeable since the plant is so lush, and ... read more

On Dec 29, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
'Nana' Coreopsis is a low maintenance plant that spreads easily over time by stolons to form an attractive mat-type ground cover, but is not invasive. It requires full sun or part shade and prefers moderate to average moisture and well drained soils. It will tolerate poor soils, but is less tolerant of drought than most coreopsis; however, it still does okay in dry soils. Easy to grow, this compact plant attains a height between 6-9 inches flowers included. It is an early spring into summer bloomer and will bloom repeatedly if the spent blooms are removed. Its 1-2" yellowish-orange (goldish-orange) flowers contrast nicely against its deep green foliage. In the hottest part of the summer, it ceases to bloom if not dead-headed (sometimes even if dead-headed). When th... read more

On Aug 30, 2003, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I've been growing this for about three years and I love it. It spreads, so this year I put it in several areas, including my 'May Night' Salvia. Te combination of purple and yellow is pretty. It seems to thrive in Georgia (U.S.) summer heat. It dies down in winter but is one of the first green things I see in spring. It's pretty carefree but needs deadheading to prolong bloom.