PlantFiles: Dwarf Mouse-ear Tickseed, Lobed Tickseed
Coreopsis auriculata 'Nana'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Coreopsis (kor-ee-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: auriculata (aw-rik-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Nana

By Sheila_FW
Thumbnail #6 of Coreopsis auriculata by Sheila_FW

By amethystsm
Thumbnail #7 of Coreopsis auriculata by amethystsm

Positive ms_greenjeans On Jun 9, 2011, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I use yellow and orange colors only sparingly in my gardens, and I have had very poor luck with coreopsis in general. I planted several Jethro Tull, Creme Brulee, and Sweet Dreams over the years, only to lose them all. I planted three of these near the end of the season last year, so they did not bloom. But holy cow -- this spring they are full of bright orange-yellow flowers which look great with the dark green foliage. I love it! I'm a fanatic about deadheading, so we'll see how much repeat bloom I can get out of these--but I'd like them even if they only bloom in the spring.
Update 2012: Nana blooms prolifically and repeatedly for me (with deadheading). I'm writing this in late October, and most of the plants recently had a flower or two on them even after several frosts and freezes, although as the growing season progresses the stems seem to get shorter so the flowers don't show as much. I have it in several locations because it's a great border plant. It does like to spread out, so I've been able to divide. It does like to be watered more than other coreopsis.

Negative Get_growing On Dec 13, 2010, Get_growing from Dallas, TX wrote:

Early bloomer, March (?) here in Dallas. Yellow flowers on long stems are cute, but nothing special, and foliage is decent. I rate it negative because of the extremely short bloom time...about a month or so. This was true for me even with deadheading. Was a mealybug magnet! For the space they take, it wasn't worth it, so I yanked 'em up last summer.
There are far better coreopsis and/or early bloomering choices than this.

Neutral Meig On Jun 15, 2008, Meig from Far Northwest 'burbs, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

So far I am not very impressed with this plant. It does form a nice mound of foliage, but so far I haven't seen much in the way of flowers. It has been planted for a year in my garden. Unlike my other coreopsis, it doesn't seem to rebloom for me, even after deadheading. I have it planted in full sun, in two different spots, in completely different areas of my yard, and both plants have performed in the same way.

Positive aspenbooboo41 On Jun 4, 2007, aspenbooboo41 from Whitehall, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I also love this plant! I have posted a picture of one of mine in full bloom with what seems to be a hundred flowers.
The flowers rise a good 8-12" from the plant and they are such a vibrant yellow that they almost seem to glow. These plants are definitely eye-catchers. The foliage is a very nice deep green and looks good all season.
I have mine in average garden soil wherethey get sun from morning til about 1pm. Last year (first year) plants were pretty much just foliage with only a few flowers (which bloomed at foliage level so were kind of hidden). I was so excited to see them come back this year, about 3 times bigger, and with such spectacular blooms.
Cons- Pillbugs and slugs. However, the slug holes aren't that noticeable since the plant is so lush, and although I see the pillbugs under the basal foliage I can't see what damage they are doing either. I am keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

Positive htop On Dec 29, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
'Nana' Coreopsis is a low maintenance plant that spreads easily over time by stolons to form an attractive mat-type ground cover, but is not invasive. It requires full sun or part shade and prefers moderate to average moisture and well drained soils. It will tolerate poor soils, but is less tolerant of drought than most coreopsis; however, it still does okay in dry soils. Easy to grow, this compact plant attains a height between 6-9 inches flowers included. It is an early spring into summer bloomer and will bloom repeatedly if the spent blooms are removed. Its 1-2" yellowish-orange (goldish-orange) flowers contrast nicely against its deep green foliage. In the hottest part of the summer, it ceases to bloom if not dead-headed (sometimes even if dead-headed). When the temperatures start to moderate in the fall, it begins bloomimg again. It has been in growing in 2 locations in my yard for 4 years, producing more blooms in the full sun area. During the winter, it is green, but not blooming and a little tired looking. A great border or edge plant, it can be grown in containers also. It attracts butterflies.

Positive berrygirl On Aug 30, 2003, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I've been growing this for about three years and I love it. It spreads, so this year I put it in several areas, including my 'May Night' Salvia. Te combination of purple and yellow is pretty. It seems to thrive in Georgia (U.S.) summer heat. It dies down in winter but is one of the first green things I see in spring. It's pretty carefree but needs deadheading to prolong bloom.

Blytheville, Arkansas
Vale, North Carolina
Whitehall, Pennsylvania
Knoxville, Tennessee
Alice, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Garland, Texas