Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

Violet Allamanda

Allamanda blanchetii

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Allamanda (al-uh-MAN-da) (Info)
Species: blanchetii (blan-CHET-ee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Allamanda violacea

Brown/Bronze

Cream/Tan

Silver/Gray

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

This plant is resistant to deer

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By grafting

By tip layering

Martinez, California

Interlachen, Florida

Kihei, Hawaii

St Thomas, Mississippi

On Sep 28, 2013, robertbgillies from Volcan,
Panama wrote:

I live in the province of Chiriqui in the country of Panama. This tropical vine is commonly planted here at both lower and higher elevations and can be purchased at local nurseries. I live at 1400 meters in elevation where it grows a little slower than at sea level because the weather here is cool. It was slow getting started but now it has become quite large and covers part of the carport roof and the entranceway. It has beautiful big dark pink flowers and here in our climate is in bloom 365 days per year. At any one time it has at least a couple dozen blooms on it. It makes quite a show and is one of the first things you notice as you approach my home. I suppose you would say where I live is zone 11 and down near sea level is zone 12. I had to make a trellis for it to support it and temp... read more

On Nov 14, 2011, gonetopottoo from Rockport, TX wrote:

Remember that many of the catepillars you are seeing are the young of the many beautiful butterflies you enjoy in your yard. I know it is frustrating when they eat all the leaves but most host plants have evolved for this and will come back into leaf fairly quickly.

On Jun 16, 2004, jbhew from Nixon, TX wrote:

Blooms profusely spring till fall, very hardy in our heat of south Texas. Receives the most praise from visitors to my garden.
I have three plants that are 4 years old, this last fall before putting them in my greenhouse in october, I noticed there were spike covered large oval pods on two plants. I cut one off and left the other on the plant. The one left on the plant just recently turned brown and popped open this week to expose about 14 seeds. I would like to know how to plant these seeds and if others have experienced the same thing with their Allamanda's. I have not been able to find out anything from local nursaries or books.

On Jan 21, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro,
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This is still a not very popular Allamanda, although it grows more vigorously than its cousin Allamanda cathartica. The dark red flowers highlights it from the other Allamandas, for sure, and could as well used in landscaping combinations with them.

As other Allamandas, its sap is poisonous to kids and pets, but it doesnt prevent catterpillars and aphids to infest it from time to time.

On Apr 30, 2003, ranch45 from Interlachen, FL wrote:

I have this plant for two years now. It grows well in full sun (it is planted under my kitchen window - southern exposure).

When I purchased this plant, I also purchased a Mandevilla - I liked the combination of the two. Late in season, however, I noticed that these plants were overwhelmed with worms (they kind of look like caterpillars), which totally devoured every leaf on the plant. Try as I might, I can not get rid of them. This spring, I decided to do away with both; however, the Allamanda is coming back in full force.

On Jan 27, 2003, grovespirit from Sunset Valley, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Nothing but pleasure from this beauty, started from a single terminal bud cutting coaxed out of a Mexican restaurant while on vacation to Cancun. Blooms profusely in a bright, yet indirectly lit spot. If you want an exotic houseplant that's stunning, long-blooming, and easy to grow, try this! Just keep it warm. :) Mine bloomed 2/3 of the year in my warmest room, in Zone 7.5... These images are of plants grown in a Zone 9 rainforest dome. Unless you have a greenhouse or a bit of the tropics, your results may be less wild. I got 1-2 blooms at a time, from March-Sept. I hope to start over and grow another, since they are pretty easy to grow from cuttings!