Mexican Sage
Salvia mexicana 'Limelight'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: mexicana (meks-sih-KAY-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Limelight
» View all varieties of Salvias

Blue-Violet

Late Fall/Early Winter

Chartreuse/Yellow

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Castro Valley, California

Clarksville, Tennessee

Belton, Texas

Poquoson, Virginia

On Nov 2, 2014, trudybb from Youngsville, LA wrote:

I got a 12" plant at our local Master Gardeners' Spring plant sale a few years ago. It caught my attention because of it's bright chartreuse leaves that would stand out in my flowerbed. Then in September came the pretty dark violet blue flowers for a couple of months of Fall. I wasn't sure how frost hardy it was so I took several 10" cuttings and put in water indoors just in case it didn't make it thru winter. They rooted easily for new plants & although the outdoor plant took a beating it sprouted from roots in Spring. It makes itty bitty seeds in some flowers so after they bloom pick just the flower calyx & when thoroughly dry shake the container or hand break so seeds fall out. I've gotten seeds from about 50% of calyxes mostly to trade because water rooting cuttings is the way to go.

On Nov 8, 2009, SusiS from San Leandro, CA wrote:

I planted these from 1 gl pots in the spring (East Bay Hills), and now they shot up to about 6 ft - great plants and so beautiful. I am just not sure how much to cut them back and when (early winter, late winter)??

On May 20, 2008, SierraTigerLily from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I first saw this plant in my sister's garden in Pleasant Hill, Ca. She found it at the famed Berkeley Horticultural Center. I was able to locate a mail order source for it at plantsafari.com. My plants arrived yesterday and I will post again as to how they survive the Florida tropical summers.

On Jul 3, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A beautiful Sage, great abundance, vivid, royal blue flowers from showy lime reen calyxes. Upright spikes. large quantify of lower branches especially after a hard pruning in Winter. Long lasting, great in bouquet, Full sun. medium to low water.