Purple Velvet Plant, Purple Passion Vine, Trailing Purple Passion Plant
Gynura aurantiaca 'Purple Passion'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gynura (jy-NYOOR-uh) (Info)
Species: aurantiaca (aw-ran-ti-AYE-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Purple Passion
Synonym:Gynura sarmentosa

Orange

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

From leaf cuttings

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Lakewood, California

Boones Mill, Virginia

Spokane, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On Jan 18, 2014, HotMemaw from Armstrong, OK wrote:

My mom had this plant a lot, and it has always been one of my favorites.

In my experience, if this plant does not get enough sunlight the purple fades away, leaving a dark-green leaf.

Both The National Gardening Association (www.garden.org) and the Home and Garden Education Center of the University of Connecticut (http://www.ladybug.uconn.edu/hotissues/safeandpoisonoushouse...) state that Purple Passion is safe and nonpoisonous.

On May 13, 2013, Andropogon from Saint Peter, MN wrote:

I have several of these plants and have had zero problems with them. They handle neglect well (I've been neglecting them for about 10 years now) and grow in all areas of the house, from sunny to shady locations, but place in the sun to get the most purple color. I wait until they are nearly completely dry to water from the top (avoid getting moisture on the leaves) and fertilize once a year in the spring. They propagate easily from cuttings, just place a slip in a container of water.

On Apr 23, 2013, creash from Logansport, IN wrote:

I followed the recommendations here, and mine is dead. Very dead. I watered from the bottom, followed the sun recommendations, etc etc. Very very picky plant, apparently.

On Nov 21, 2012, Paylady from Newark Valley, NY wrote:

I do love this plant but am having problems with it. White spots hav appeared on the leaves and parts of the plant seem to be dying. Does anyone know what I can do to save it?

On Oct 11, 2009, marylouhermann from Springfield, OH wrote:

This is a beautiful, fast-growing plant. But there is some type of disease on the leaves lately. Looks like lots of white colored bugs, covering most of the leaves. Help!

Mary Lou

On Aug 27, 2008, philotea from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

I killed a couple of these before I figured out how to take care of them. NEVER LET THE LEAVES GET WET! I'm actually growing these very successfully in containers without drainage. Here's how: Wait until the soil dries out, even until the first day the plant wilts. Then WATER THE SOIL, taking care not to let any of the leaves or stems get drops on them. (If you're not sure how much to water, then use a containter that drains until you figure it out.)

Watering from the bottom works great, too, just don't let it sit in the water too long. Leave it long until the roots have soaked up all they want, maybe 20 minutes and then take away the excess.

You should also avoid very humid conditions (e.g. bathrooms).

On Mar 19, 2008, raygray20 from Miami, FL wrote:

I read on another site that this plants fruit can be used for cooking and jellies. However, the leaves and the stems are poisonous if ingested. I havent had mine flower yet but when it does I plan on finding out how the fruit tastes!

I plan to start clipping it and making more of this plant I really love it as its my favorite color, purple! This is one of the first plants I have had to actually grow and care for the other 3 are doing great as well.

UPDATE: I have had success with the roots forming on a clipping, when should i transfer it to soil in a pot???

On Feb 24, 2008, mcdannells from Central Oregon, OR wrote:

This plant is taking over my grow room which is fine by me. It gives a very nice purple color which if in bright light the leaves will turn almost yellow/orange, dry up then fall off. This does like the shady part of my indoor garden.
I pluck off the fan leaves which then gives the new top the power to grow resulting in a bushy look. I feed miracle grow to the ones in the grow room and they do fantastic!!
Only bugs I have noticed who like this plant is the white scale. I grow organic the best I can and use natural predators as well as my fingers to kill the scales.

I also have a couple of the variegated forms of this plant. Very striking with the white/purple fuzzy leaves. This variegated form grows slowly in our grow room, however in our kitchen (eas... read more

On Feb 14, 2008, Neuling from Carrollton, TX wrote:

I purchased this plant about a five weeks ago, and then another about a week ago.

These plants came from Wally World, so naturally the soil was dry and the plants were wilting. I took the best looking plant out of the batch each time.

I watered the first plant from the top, but it seemed to be slipping even more. Then I read about watering from the bottom. So I re-potted the plant (barely any soil, all roots!) and started watering it from the bottom. The first plant nearly doubled in size.

The second plant has been re-potted as well (those poor roots!) and is starting to perk up its leaves.

Both plants seem to do well in low light. I haven't had any real trouble out of either of then. It's nice to have a plant as pretty as thi... read more

On Aug 8, 2007, ZEMTEK from Kansas City, MO wrote:

This plant definatly dont take neglect very well at all. I have not had much sucess with them in the past but this year my sister gave me a small clipping maybe 6 inches. I put it in a clear glass container of water on the window cill on the south side of my house. I had good roots in about 3 weeks.

I bought pots from wally world that have the bottom watering tray, which i dont use i just like it to see how much water is in the bottom of the pot. I still water from the top though. Now i have the plant hangin on my back porch on the east side of my house and its a monster. I have 5 big shoots off of it so far, the longest one is about 5 feet long. So far it actually has flowered twice this year.

When i potted the clipping i used the soil ya get at wally world... read more

On Jan 11, 2007, stargazer24 from Lewiston, ME wrote:

Two years ago I got the plant as a clipping from my neighbor and as soon as it had enough roots I potted it. It made a great hanging plant and tripled in size. Since then I have made clippings for my family and friends as its a favorite. However, I had to trim the main plant it seemed to be dying and I wasnt sure what to do. The clippings I made rooted but they dont seem to be taking to the soil. Should I put them in water again and let the roots grow longer?
Thanks for any feed back
-dave in maine

On Feb 20, 2006, maryjaneheart from Lewisburg, PA wrote:

I just bought this plant a few days ago, and I'm new to taking care of plants. This plant is beautiful with its purple leaves but, my plant is a little small. I've been told to pinch it off? How big does my plant have to be to do this, and where do I pinch them off?

On Sep 1, 2004, AngelicFlame from Canton, OH wrote:

My friend gave me a purple passion start a year and a half ago. I love it. It took off as soon as I got it. I have found that if you cut the stem so you have at least 4 leaves and stick it in soil it roots it's self. My plant seems to love high filtered light, and that seems to keep it nice and purple. They benefit most from a bottom watering planter. It's a beautiful addition for any home.

On May 5, 2004, BUBBIES from Chino Hills, CA wrote:

I purchased this plant about 2 weeks ago and it looked like it was in good condition. Two days after the purchase, I went out of town for 5 days and when I came back, the plant had wilted considerably. I made sure to water it before I left and when I came back, the soil was still moist and actually there was some water sitting in the pot base. I was so disappointed because my mother used to have cuttings that thrived in plain water so I'm really surprised that they wilted so fast and is continuing to wilt. I know they're easy to grow so I have to ask....what happened?

On May 1, 2004, Charleen43 from Claremont, NH wrote:

This plant also propagates well from sticking a branch with leaves in a cup of water. (do not allow the leaves to sit in the water or they will shrivel up and always water from the bottom of the pot.......just like you do with african violets) They love to sit on window sills with indirect sun while growing roots. Ten days ago I placed three short branches with leaves in water and today the new roots were over 2 inches long.

The flowers are usually bright orange and they can smell like a skunk to some people.....me included! I tend to pluck the new buds off, however my mom loves their flower's scent.

I believe this plant is poisonous to pets.
Charleen43