Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Helichrysum, Silver Spike 'Icicle'

Helichrysum thianschanicum

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Helichrysum (hel-ih-KRY-sum) (Info)
Species: thianschanicum (thee-an-SHAN-ee-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Icicle

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Mc Kinney, Texas

Olympia, Washington

On Jul 31, 2016, Icicles from Berea, OH wrote:

Thanks for mentioning the Helichrysum 'Icicle'. I purchased 11 of these plants (4-inch pots, $1.00 each) at the end of the 2015 planting season; and I planted them in early September....in a row at the top edge of my tree lawn planting bed...northeast Ohio, 6a, 6b. I figured they would survive until our first frost. To my delight these plants never died back. We had a mild winter and despite getting sprayed many times with salt by our road crews, they all survived and displayed robust growth in the early spring setting many tight flower buds that eventually gave way to full bloom in May. What a lovely show of lemon yellow blossoms that lasted into July. Deadheaded in mid-July, these plants continue to look lovely! I'm not counting on another mild winter, so I'm prepared to "bubble wrap" my... read more

On Aug 17, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is a silver-leafed plant from northern China. It is highly xeric, and some sources say it's hardy to Z5a, at least where winters are dry. It is somewhat tolerant of the winter moisture of eastern North America.

I'm not clear whether "Icicle" is a cultivar name or a trade name for the species.

On May 19, 2013, Doublekranch from Fairmount, NY wrote:

I live in Zone 5 and have had success overwintering this plant in our cold frame. It must go in dry and stay that way until after the last hard freeze.

On Jul 22, 2010, suewylan from North Fork, CA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a loooooong bloomer! It's been blooming from May to July and only now, middle of July, are the flowers going to seed. It's lovely as an edging along my patio steps and also seeded itself into my herb basket. In another location, I have it as a single accent plant.

On the tag it said the flowers were nondescript, but I have use them in flower arrangements every summer. They last as dry flowers for quite awhile.

On Apr 16, 2006, shustwit from McKinney, TX wrote:

Mine is growing well in two beds (south and west) in Northern Texas. The one in the south bed of my house is almost 2' tall.

On Jan 27, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

An interesting foliage plant; its naturally spikey habit is a little difficult to work into planting schemes, but the texture it adds is worth the extra effort.

Fairly easy to root from tip cuttings.