PlantFiles: Clog Plant, Guppy Plant, Goldfish Plant
Nematanthus gregarius 'Black Magic'

Family: Gesneriaceae (ges-ner-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nematanthus (nee-ma-TAN-thus) (Info)
Species: gregarius (greh-GAR-ee-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Magic
Additional cultivar information: (aka Cheerio)

Synonym:Nematanthus radicans

Thumbnail #4 of Nematanthus gregarius by turektaylor

Thumbnail #5 of Nematanthus gregarius by turektaylor

Thumbnail #6 of Nematanthus gregarius by turektaylor

Thumbnail #7 of Nematanthus gregarius by turektaylor

Positive carpathiangirl On Jun 30, 2009, carpathiangirl from Akron, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Vigorous grower and nice bloomer even with little or no fertilizer and thrives on neglect. But it like no hugs because it's leaves are rather delicate and break off easily so be careful when moving it.

Positive orchid_rookie On Apr 27, 2008, orchid_rookie from East Northport, NY wrote:

This plant looks like my first goldfish plant! It seems to love a sunny window (at least in New York), and it responds well to occasional pruning. Mine blooms most of the time, and when it doesn't, it is a pretty foliage plant. I feed it African Violet food from time to time and am careful not to overwater it. Believe it or not, only twice a month!

P.S. I now have three goldfish plants -- one from cuttings, one purchased yesterday. I love this plant!

Positive gardenbugde On Apr 20, 2007, gardenbugde from Smyrna, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I purchased a small plant in the Spring of 2004. I had wanted one for years and was excited when I found one at a local nursery in bloom! I was in a southwestern facing window for awhile where it got light but wasn't getting "cooked". I moved it into a bigger pot and into a different spot where it got filtered light. About 6 months ago, I moved it to an Eastern exposure window and it's very happy there. It didn't bloom again until just a couple weeks ago. It's gotten very long and is covered with buds!
This is a very easy plant to care for... I don't ever have to fuss with it and it gets plant food (from March 1 to November 1) everytime I water it. It loves the eastern exposure and that's where it's going to stay. It roots fairly easily in soil with the help of rooting hormone. It will root in water, but it seems to take longer that way. I'm willing to share rooted/potted cuttings with those who are interested. Pls email me directly@ bayhon1965@aol.com

Positive blckwolf256 On May 7, 2005, blckwolf256 from Springville, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

I just bought one at Lowe's yesterday for $7.95. I have been watching a seller on ebay who has been listing them for several months. I just could not bring myself to bid $9.99, then pay for the S&H....so I was thrilled when I found it yesterday!!
Wish me luck with my new Goldfishes!!

Neutral LouElla On Jan 19, 2005, LouElla from Selah, WA wrote:

Retiree from Selah Washington .

A friend of mine has this plant growing in the east window of her kitchen on the windowsill. I have another friend who has a start off this plant growing in a northern exposure window. I have just aquired a piece of this plant and hope to get it to root. I have placed it in a "seed start/peatmoss" starting soil.

Negative tracey2 On Sep 28, 2004, tracey2 from Watertown, NY wrote:

I live upstate NY and a local supermarket was selling this absolutely beautiful/unique plant. My friend purchased one - we loved the flowers - but it shed leaves (handsful at a time) and flowers dropped off, so she didn't want it any more. I have a large variety of 'easy to care for' houseplants, so I offered to take it off her hands. There was no 'potting tag' and I'm not sure how to care for it. The leaves are dark green and glossy. Plant appears to be very healthy, but several leaves will drop off at once - dark, healthy leaves, not brown.

Positive captainswife On Mar 31, 2004, captainswife from Rosemount, MN wrote:

I bought this plant in the fall because of the orange flowers. It has done so well in a southeast window (indirect light) and has steadily bloomed all winter long with just brief dormant periods. I feed every two months with flowering houseplant spikes and allow to dry before watering.

Positive Umbrial On Feb 23, 2004, Umbrial from West Warwick, RI wrote:

I rescued two of these plants (half dead) from behind a pizzaria, not knowing what they were. I however was certain I could revive them from their stressed state. Years later, after being surprised by many yellow flowerings and vibrant trailing growth, I was still unable to identify the plant. Finaly an expert at a plant shop identified it as some type of goldfish plant (today btw), though he could not narrow down the exact type. I am overjoyed to see your picture and the end of an four year mystery. I look forward to collecting more types of the species. Thank you. -Ursula

Springville, Alabama