PlantFiles: Alberta Spruce, Black Hills Spruce, White Spruce, Canadian Spruce
Picea glauca 'Conica'

Family: Pinaceae (py-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Picea (PY-see-uh) (Info)
Species: glauca (GLAW-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Conica

Synonym:Picea canadensis

Conifers

Inconspicuous/none

Aromatic

This plant is resistant to deer

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
By grafting

Thumbnail #6 of Picea glauca by ViburnumValley

By slyperso1
Thumbnail #7 of Picea glauca by slyperso1

Neutral swbey1 On Jul 10, 2014, swbey1 from Sandy, UT wrote:

I have four of these great trees, however some of them have developed browning at the exterior. I think it is probably a sunburn as it has been very hot here for the last two weeks. Any suggestions????

Neutral MsAbsinthe On Dec 27, 2013, MsAbsinthe from University Park, FL wrote:

Can the Alberta Spruce survive as a houseplant?

Hubby ordered LL Bean's Woodland Tabletop Live Tree, which turns out to be an Alberta Spruce. When it arrived I checked out info online, and found horror stories about people who planted it outside the recommended zones. We live in Orlando, apparently zone 9, and it's allegedly hardy only to zone 8.

I called Bean. Their response was to send another tree. We called again, asking why they're sending living trees to a place where apparently they can't survive. They refunded our money. Now we have two free trees that I hope won't die.

Anybody have advice? The poor things are sprouting new growth in our living room, and I am not running a tree hospice. I hope.

Positive Mr_Monopoly On Nov 14, 2013, Mr_Monopoly from North Olmsted, OH wrote:

This is a very neat and tidy pine to own. It makes little to no mess, has inconspicuous cones, and if tended properly, makes a very attractive addition to any garden. I have a large specimen in my front garden, and a smaller on in a pot, so they make a great pot or garden plant. Additionally, the Dwarf variety of this plant is excellent for fairy gardens!

Positive Lisadia On Jun 19, 2011, Lisadia from Springfield, MO wrote:

I planted one of these about 1' tall from Walmart in 2007, later in Spring. So it basically just sat there that year since it had already budded out. In 2008 and 09 it grew to be 24" so it was growing much faster than expected. But in 2010 it put on an amazing 9" and actually budded out 4 different times between April and August! I measured it last fall and it was 33". This year it is already in its second budding and 37" tall, so it's already put on 4" this year and shows no sign of stopping.
I read that some dwarf Albertas revert back to regular Alberta Spruce but that is not the case here because when that happens the branches grow longer and it won't have the tight packed needles. Mine still has very tightly packed needles and branchings. It's just a fast grower compared to all the reports of 1 - 2" a year. Last year it even out performed my Noway Spruces !

Positive weather1_guy On May 15, 2011, weather1_guy from Rochester, MN wrote:

This tree is amazing. I bought this Fall of 2010 to plant in a container and overwinter it on my 3rd story patio (as a lil' 5ft Christmas tree). It got down to -30 last winter and I hadn't protected it at all and this spring it is covered with fresh green growth! My patio faces north so it only gets about 3-4 hours of direct sunlight a day (a few hours in the morning and a few in the evening). Great plant for a container :)

Positive purplesun On Mar 13, 2010, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

Didn't expect this to do well here in Sofia, Bulgaria. It has doubled in size in just two years and, of course, it hasn't suffered from cold. Heat hasn't harmed it either. It grows in full sun in a container on the roof of my garage. We are presumably in zone 6b, 2300 feet AMSL.

Positive atcps On Apr 19, 2007, atcps from WOODLAWN, TN wrote:

This plant is a wonderful plant. It transplants very easily and adds a little formality to the garden. I had a minor problem with bagworms last summer but I picked them off and the plant is recovering nicely.

Positive soulbloom On Aug 18, 2006, soulbloom from Richmond, VA wrote:

I like this little guy. Mine has grown some since I purchased it in spring/early summer. Nice additional, almost a must for a garden IMO.

Positive Sheila965 On Aug 2, 2006, Sheila965 from Rincon, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I just purchased these at Home Depot a couple of days ago. I live in Zone 8b. They look great at the end of my driveway. I just hope they can survive the heat but it is good to see other Georgians and a tropical climate such as Puerto Rico trying it as well.

Positive winging On Aug 1, 2006, winging from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a good foundation shrub in my area as long as you watch for and control spider mites, which can lead to dying off and ugly brown patches. Spraying it down with a strong jet of water every week or two does the job in discouraging the mites and helps provide adequate water as well.

Smaller specimens also do well in containers due to slow growth.

Negative nuckolsm On Jul 12, 2006, nuckolsm from Delta Junction, AK wrote:

Alberta Spruce is frequently sold in Fairbanks, Alaska supercenters and home centers - but it is hardy only in the most sheltered of microclimates. I've seen many people (including myself) plant these beauties in the interior of Alaska only to see them freeze out. I suspect the purchasing people buy for Anchorage - not realizing that Fairbanks and the interior are a lot colder. Avoid this if you see temps below -40F. Otherwise, a wonderful plant!

Neutral ineedacupoftea On Jan 18, 2006, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

If you like a plant that is just a blob of green all year.

Tolerates dry, alkaline, clay soil. My 10 year old plant is at a small 5'. It's counterpart nearby, however, a few years ago, began to show a growth from the rootstock that had been dormant for years, which eventually overpowered the graft. I cut off the graft to reveal a shapely Picea glauca. I have to admit that I was pleased that this pudgy thing is susceptable to roostock reversions.

I think the plant is overused in the face of many desirable new selections.

Positive CatskillKarma On May 23, 2005, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

There are two of these framing a shed door on my place. They were here when we bought the place. I decorate them at Christmas time every year--they are perfect for that. There's something a little fairy-tale ish about them, and they aren't what I would have chosen myself, but they are easy and look fine. My one reservation: dog pee browns them up real fast. My dogs likes to mark them, and we have to keep him away.

Positive misskaffee On May 22, 2005, misskaffee from SmallTown, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I bought 3 of these today to plant in sunny backyard central. My first day rating is positive - they are so cute! But I'm a tad worried about their fate in my hands for two reasons:
1) I'm putting them into spots recently vacated by a maple and 2 dogwoods that passed on to greener pastures. Sigh. Not yet sure why they croaked so fast...? Really hope I'm not sentencing the new guys to death row!
2) I am a bit concerned that our summers in my part of Georgia might be too hot. Glad to see I'm not the only one trying them out in the warmer zones. My fingers are crossed. I'd love to decorate these cool little trees at Christmas time!

Positive zeny On Sep 1, 2004, zeny from San Juan, PR wrote:

I live in San Juan, Puerto Rico and I Purchased this tree in Virginia and brought it to Puerto Rico and I thought it was going to die but to my surprise in doing excellent in 4 months that I have it here. Actually it looks more dense now and with more live. The tree is doing excellent and I have it in front of my house where it gets direct sun from the tropical island I life in for 5 hours a day when the sun changes direction. I do pour water twice a day to maintain a humid soil. I am in zone 11.

Neutral mikey12302 On Jul 28, 2004, mikey12302 from Santa Ana, CA wrote:

I live in Zone 10 (Southern California) and would like to hear about anyones experiences with the Dwarf Alberta Spruce in this area.

Neutral stevenova On Jun 10, 2004, stevenova from Newcastle
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

The only problem with this plant (at least here in the Uk) is that it, along with a number of other spruces is very prone to attack by two agents. One is a tiny species of Aphid and the other (in hot dry summers) is a spider mite. Both can defoliate the plant over a period of months without attention.

Positive branka On May 1, 2004, branka from Hobart, IN (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love these evergreens. The size and shape is perfect, it's a must have in my garden.

Positive pakang On Feb 17, 2004, pakang from Joliet, IL wrote:

Very soft-textured in comparison to most other evergreens. Requires virtually no trimming at all; maintains its shape naturally. Grows only an inch-or-two a year, so it's a good choice for planting near buildings where other shrubs or small trees may grow too large.

Positive vroomp On Jan 28, 2003, vroomp from Marietta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is a must for every winter garden. Slow growing, these trees take 10-15 years to get over 6'. Ideal for containers or as a specimen in rock gardens, I have used these in several landscaping projects over the past 4 years and have yet to lose a plant.They seem to prefer semi-moist rich soil.

Anniston, Alabama
West Kill, New York
Greensboro, North Carolina
Scaly Mountain, North Carolina
Bucyrus, Ohio
Cincinnati, Ohio (2 reports)
Middletown, Ohio