Leopard Plant
Farfugium japonicum 'Aureomaculata'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Farfugium (far-FEW-gee-um) (Info)
Species: japonicum (juh-PON-ih-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Aureomaculata
Additional cultivar information:(aka Aureomaculatum, Aureo-Maculata)
Synonym:Ligularia tussilaginea

Partial to Full Shade

Late Fall/Early Winter

Alexander City, Alabama

Calistoga, California

Clayton, California

Crescent City, California

Atlanta, Georgia (2 reports)

Moultrie, Georgia

Wichita, Kansas

West Monroe, Louisiana

Kenesaw, Nebraska

Montclair, New Jersey

Raleigh, North Carolina (2 reports)

Columbus, Ohio

Royersford, Pennsylvania

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Okatie, South Carolina

Spartanburg, South Carolina

Bellaire, Texas

Conroe, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Missouri City, Texas

Stephenville, Texas

Chesapeake, Virginia

Lexington, Virginia

On May 6, 2015, abovepar from Kenesaw, NE wrote:

Really enjoyed this plant in a container in 2014. I failed to overwinter it inside though. (I'm in zone 5)
This year, I purchased another Leopard Plant. I see little rusty rings on the yellow dots of this plant. Anyone know what I'm dealing with?

On Apr 21, 2015, snafunaafi from London
United Kingdom wrote:

fantastic plant, bought at a tropical garden centre in the hope that it would flourish in a shaded area of my garden. Hostas beware this plant is a true jewel.

The area it lives in is a low rise flower bed, no more than 8 inches across and joins a high flower bed running across the bottom of the garden. Brick on one side and a wooden fence on the other. I cannot think of a more shaded inhospitable corner of the garden. Its yellow spots shine out from deep green leaves and together with a 1950s gnome, which my wife bought in Cornwell and I banished it to the corner from hell.

Surprised that this corner now looks enchanted.

Now for the down side. Slugs, snails and flying pest love this plant a real Japanese takeaway for pests. After being almost... read more

On May 21, 2013, Scuzelbut1 from Atlanta, GA wrote:

My neighbor gave me some of her plant she divided this spring. So far it has filled out nicely and I look forward to enjoying this plant in the years to come.

On Apr 17, 2010, BPlum from Alexander City, AL wrote:

I have an impossible shady boggy hard dirt no drainage spot where I planted this and it has survived. I'm improving the site and would like more, but it's very expensive to buy. Any sources?

For some reason, the spots went away. Maybe too much shade?

On Oct 6, 2008, robcorreia from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

Very nice plant for the shady garden. Likes lots of water. Pretty daisy-like blooms in October came as a surprise to me!

On May 31, 2008, janetcrotts from Raleigh, NC wrote:

I have a huge Leopard Happenstance (I believe) It is round about 3 feet or more in diameter--huge leaves. I have had it for about 5 years. It is in a pot just a little smaller than the plant. I have it outside most of the time except in winter when it is in my greenhouse--probably unnecessary but it seems to do fine in there. It has always been active shooting up new leaves. It has, however, stopped and has a slight musty odor at the soil level-not the leaves. At least 2 leaves turn yellow every day. I expect that it has some sort of mold that may be killing it. . I do not believe it has been overwatered but maybe so. Does anyone have any ideas to treat it at this time? This is very important to me, so please help if you can. janc2@mindspri... read more

On Feb 21, 2007, XylemPhloemCallie from Dallas, TX wrote:

Great success with Leopard Plant in full shade. It even made it through several hard frosts this winter. The flowers are a pleasant surprise in the fall, but the glossy leopard-spotted foliage is the true star of the show all year.

On Jan 26, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant. very slow grower for me. planted inground, in bright shade. Water only when limp, easily rotted when overwatered.

On May 23, 2006, doss from Stanford, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This farfugium is evergreen in zone 9 and is a bright sparkle in the woodland garden and gives the effect of sun filtering down from the trees. Here you can almost grow it in the dark. While only needing average water, it is sensitive to drying out but will let you know by wilting a little and then is easily revived.

One of my very favorite plants. Bait for snails and slugs!

On Jan 26, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

My information on this plant says it is hardy in zones 4-6, and so far it has survived here in zone 5. It didn't even die all the way back this winter.