Kruse's Mallee, Bookleaf Mallee
Eucalyptus kruseana

Family: Myrtaceae (mir-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Eucalyptus (yoo-kuh-LIP-tus) (Info)
Species: kruseana (kroos-ee-AH-nuh) (Info)

Silver/Gray

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Buckeye, Arizona

Chandler, Arizona

Glendale, Arizona

Golden Valley, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Acton, California

Arroyo Grande, California

Henderson, Nevada (2 reports)

North Las Vegas, Nevada

On Jan 14, 2015, cocoajuno from Buckeye, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

The hardiness zone for this plant should include 9a and 9b.
I love this plant as a tree it is a beautiful specimen tree. I collected the seeds and plan to grow a few more.

On Nov 28, 2014, GracefulGhost from North Las Vegas, NV wrote:

Love, love, love this bush / tree! I bought this as a shade for my a/c unit thinking it would grow an average of 6" to one foot per year. Wrong! It went from a very small 3' in the pot I bought it in, to a whopping 8' in one full year! I love the look of this plant! Living in Las Vegas, NV, I am always looking for someting unique and eye appealing. This is tops on my list!

On Jul 21, 2014, Josh12 from Henderson, NV wrote:

I bought a Bookleaf Mallee at the nursery a few years ago and now it is about 10 feet tall. I love this tree it is so different from other trees. It is doing well here in Henderson, NV. We have very hot summers and our winters can drop below freezing. This is a great tree if you are looking for something different.

On Aug 13, 2011, upshotphx from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I bought these last year from a box-store. they were small and scraggly. Now one of these is over 7 feet tall, thick, lush and in full-bloom, with gorgeous yellow flowers. Very distinctive, decorative plant. can be trimmed, but i prefer a natural look. Once they establish, they are low-maintenance. good for xeriscaping.

On Aug 27, 2010, Marcyphish from Golden Valley
United States wrote:

The best way to make your garden stand out. The color shape and unique growth of this plant makes me smile everytime I see it. I am growing this species in winter temperatures of the high teens.

On Feb 3, 2003, Jerome from Beer-Sheva
Israel wrote:

Tall shrub or small tree which has beautiful silver leaves
that are used by florists. The silver leaves are very rich in aromatic oil. The flowers are yellow and attract bees and others insects. The plant prefers well drained soils in hot to temperate climates. This plant grows in my garden more than twenty years and always I think that it is very attractive and very ornamental.