Tahitian Bridal Veil, Variegated Wandering Jew

Gibasis geniculata

Family: Commelinaceae (ko-mel-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gibasis (gib-AY-sis) (Info)
Species: geniculata (gen-ik-yoo-LAH-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Tradescantia geniculata

Blooms all year

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Hayward, California

Desoto, Texas

Dripping Springs, Texas

Fredericksburg, Texas

On Feb 27, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- I started Gibasis geniculata in my succulent bed from a small cutting in 2013. I don't think I would put it in an area that gets much water because it has spread fairly rapidly in the succulent bed where it gets water only once a month in summer and not in winter. I think it could quickly be a problem with lots of water. Mine grows in partial shade and migrates both into greater shade and lesser. It is under a winter cold frame so keeps growing all winter.

On Jun 1, 2014, PammiePi from Green Cove Springs, FL wrote:

Needed a ground-cover for a sloped area of my yard that is part/filtered sun, this plant did great and survives the hard freezes here. Easy to transplant, I got mine started from a couple of stems from my friend. Will spread but easily controlled, & blooms with delightful delicate white flowers all spring/summer long. Love it!

On Oct 9, 2012, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Very easy to keep..and in the San Francisco bay area will grow very fast as a shade ground cover-although it takes no foot traffic by man or dog or even cats. I found that it will reseed everywhere..in other potted plants-even as an epiphyte in baskets of Brom's or Tillandsia's outdoors.
Oh,and one thing...the variegation is easy to lose. They will revert to all green if in too much shade or not enough judicious pruning.

On Sep 19, 2012, jamic from Fredericksburg, TX wrote:

I discovered Gibasis Geniculata while tending my neighbor's garden this summer, affectionately referring to it as "kudzu" because it grows quickly & can be propagated by simply sticking a piece in the soil! Mine does best in full shade (the Central TX sun is too intense), with minimal watering (can easily be over-watered in summer heat). Does well in containers (w/ plenty of drainage) & as ground cover in shaded bed. I've since found smaller plants in 6-pk's @ my local nursery. A new favorite!

On May 24, 2009, kcviolet from Kansas City, MO wrote:

I bought this plant in a hanging basket for my mom (who lives with me) for Mother's Day last year. It did well on the porch all summer, then I moved it to a south facing sun room inside for the winter, where it became enormous. I moved it back to the porch in the spring and it started to die off. I figured it had outgrown it's pot and took it down to take some cuttings (root hormone and potting soil). Imagine my surprise to find five baby finches smack dab in the middle of it! The cuttings are growing (and so are the finches), which is a good thing, since I can't water it till they leave. Incidentally, when I moved it inside, I set the whole thing in a new oil collection pan (from the auto store) and watered it from the bottom. It loved that.

On Jan 30, 2007, Jeff30103 from Adairsville, GA wrote:

I placed it on my front porch in the summer and it did beautifully. Bloomed all summer long. I brought it in for the winter and it is in a middle room a use to store plants for the winter. I am pretty sure it is not dead there is a LOT of green on it but it looks semi-dormant.

On Sep 22, 2006, cflowerseal from Arlington, TX wrote:

On Oct 8, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very pretty in a hanging container, but whatever you do, don't let it get loose in Florida.

On Oct 7, 2004, aangell from New London, CT wrote:

Just wanted to make a botanical error note. Gibasis geniculata is actually Gibasis pellucida. This is a common horticultural confusion made between the two. My reference is The New Royal Horticultural Society Dictionary of Gardening published in 1992.

Editor's Note

It appears Gibasis pellucida: is a separate and distinct species, although there has been confusion between them in the past.

On Mar 17, 2004, tntevans wrote:

My husband and I had 2 of these plants hanging on the backdrop at our wedding in 1998. We gave one to my brother and he killed it, but we kept the other one and still have it today!!! It sometimes dies off quite a bit but I always bring it back. If you pick out the dead parts, a lot of times they will have a section on them that is not dead. If you pull the dead part off and replant the live part it will grow back. We love ours and they are beautiful plants to have indoors.

On Jan 6, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I had this plant in a hanging pot on my porch, but I didnt know that too much sun light would kill it, so it died a few weeks later. I wonder if this plant can be used as ground cover in shady areas.

On Jan 5, 2004, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

My friend has this plant in Clearwater, FL. It grows up amongst her potted plants in the shade of an old Southern Cedar and hangs over the walls bordering her front yard. It has bloomed all year. I gave a neutral rating because it is considered invasive although my friend says it is easy to pull out when it comes up in the wrong spot

On Apr 13, 2003, fleurette from quebec

Very easier to keep in house and growing fastly, very nice little flowers in spring and summer.