Rieger Begonia, Elatior Begonia, Winter-flowering Begonia
Begonia x hiemalis

Family: Begoniaceae (be-gon-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Begonia (be-GON-yuh) (Info)
Species: x hiemalis (hy-EH-may-liss) (Info)
» View all varieties of Begonias

Brookings, South Dakota

Port Lavaca, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

On Apr 24, 2008, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

We enjoy this as a beautiful, long lasting annual in Florida. It can't stand the heat, though it is listed as a tropical.

On Mar 3, 2005, gretel from Greenville, SC wrote:

For six months my plant is blooming like crazy. At the grocery store I bought an orange plant in a 4" pot, and it continues with beautiful flowers. The store now has others in larger pots, but they are not as bright. I wish I could send a photo.

On Jun 15, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful plant! I say neutral because I only had it for a short time before I cooked it in the greenhouse by forgetting to open the door on a sunny day (got up to 109 degrees in there). It seems to be more sensitive than most plants as the heat didn't bother much anything else. Thank goodness it's resprouting from the roots now.

On Oct 12, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
The blooms are so great! I think I killed mine by overwatering! Next time I will bottom water it. Even though it died, I still give it a positive rating because it did prosper for a long time and provided me with much pleasure.

On Oct 11, 2003, barbur from Port Lavaca, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got a Reiger Begonia in February and grew it in pots on my front porch. The blooms are so colorful, they bloomed continuously untill July, and I was pleasantly surprised. They got mealy bug and all but one died before I could control it. I have been told that they have a hard time making it through our hot summers. They're so beautiful I will treat them as annuals.

On Apr 3, 2003, Eliza from Bucharest
Romania wrote:

They must be watched for whiteflies and aphids. They must be placed in air circulated areas of the room. They prefer temperature between 65-70o F, but will also tolerate temperatures of 40o for shorter periods of time. Over 70o F flowers may drop. Old flowers and bad leaves must be removed. They are mostly used for home decoration. My red one has flowered for 6 months and it still has flowers.