PlantFiles: Common Camellia, Japanese Camellia
Camellia japonica 'Pearl Maxwell'

Family: Theaceae (tee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Camellia (kuh-MEE-lee-a) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Pearl Maxwell

» View all varieties of Camellias

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Partial to Full Shade

By yvana
Thumbnail #2 of Camellia japonica by yvana

By doglover
Thumbnail #3 of Camellia japonica by doglover

Positive AliciaTremblay On Mar 13, 2010, AliciaTremblay from Ames Lake, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I planted this one a couple weeks ago. The blossoms have held up surprisingly well through the consistent rains we've had since then.

Positive HollyBC On Aug 17, 2006, HollyBC from Comox, BC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I've just pruned this so don't have a picture as it's *in recovery* however I'll add the details I know. This plant is likely 15 or more years old, planted in the shade in what I'd estimate to be Zone 7B. I'm estimating the Zone as I only moved here a year ago and am still analyzing what possible micro-climate situations exist as this is an acre plus property with huge trees surrounding it.

This Camellia was planted directly beside a Debutante Camellia so we've two stems eminating from the same area (and worse there was --operative word *WAS* -- I hope! -- a Hydrangea planted within another 2-3'. Good grief - what were they thinking?? We've pruned it back considerably this year hoping to get some centre growth it was not exhibiting thus making it into an appearance of one bush plus fertilized, added new topsoil and some fish compost.

This is (these are) pretty old varieties however thought I'd add the comments in case anyone is interested in the future. It certainly does fine even with the severe neglect of more recent years, it blooms, gets no direct sun at all though a reasonable amount of morning and evening light.

I'll try to remember to add some photos down the line but please feel free to email.

Carmel, California