American Lily of the Valley

Convallaria montana

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Convallaria (kon-vuh-LAIR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: montana (MON-tah-nuh) (Info)
Synonym:Convallaria majuscula
Synonym:Convallaria parviflora

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Chester, Illinois

Warren, Ohio

Irving, Texas

Blacksburg, Virginia

Richmond, Virginia

Spokane, Washington (2 reports)

Madison, Wisconsin

Racine, Wisconsin

On Mar 10, 2012, themikesmom wrote:

Leaves are much taller, hardier, and a bit limey looking in apperance as compared to the european classic lily of the valley that is not as hardy, and has short and stockier leaves. they both are beautiful though. such a wonderful fragrance. my mother had the shorter european lily of the valley and it stayed small always about the same size but bloomed every year like clock work for almost century in her back yard in upstate ny. Sandra

On Jun 17, 2008, MissFabulous from Dunkirk, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

While this is very invasive, I wouldn't be without it because of the heavenly fragrance, which starts as the lilacs are ending, before the roses.

The best way to contain this plant is with a landscape barrier - either the 4" deep edging or plant in bottomless pots and bury those. It's worth having if you plan well and are prepared!

On May 19, 2004, weinerdog from Middleboro, MA wrote:

Extremely invasive plant. I planted some a few years ago and now I can't get rid of it no matter how much I try to dig it up. Underground runners keep going and going and going when I think I've gotten it all. Great plant for a wooded area or somewhere you don't care if it spreads. I must have the right location because it won't stop! Gets sun most of the day.

On Apr 26, 2004, Cheryl_IL from (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is my third or fourth year growing lily of the valley in zone 5 near Chicago. This year I noticed them start blooming around mid-April.

The first year I planted a few with white flowers. I planted some in shade and some in sun, and they all seemed to disappear. The second year a couple came back but only those that grew in shade, and a couple that wandered about 20 feet from where I planted them. They travelled from a sunny spot to the shadier bed.

That year I added a variegated lily of the valley that was generously sent in my first secret trade. I think 2004 is it's third year, and now there are three! It seemed to spread and grow slowly but it's very striking and well worth the wait. It gets both daily sun and shade.

In 2002 I recei... read more

On Feb 5, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Larger than C. majalis, this U.S. native can also be differentiated by the way its flowers are held higher.