PlantFiles: Pomegranate
Punica granatum 'Nana'

Family: Lythraceae (ly-THRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Punica (PU-ni-kuh) (Info)
Species: granatum (gran-AH-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Nana

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Good Fall Color

This plant is resistant to deer

From hardwood cuttings
By simple layering

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By lunavox

Thumbnail #6 of Punica granatum by KactusKathi

By htop
Thumbnail #7 of Punica granatum by htop

Positive henryetta69 On Oct 20, 2011, henryetta69 from Wichita, KS wrote:

I have 2 growing in full sun and everyone asks what they are. They supposedly aren't suppose to grow here, but they have been growing in my yard 2 years.

Positive trackinsand On Jul 28, 2010, trackinsand from mid central, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

one of my very favorite plants! i have mine in a bottomless pot in the garden and it blooms from spring to frost with flowers that are small but still striking even from a distance. the fruits are very small and i don't bother with them. the best thing about 'Nana' is the insect and disease resistance. nothing bothers it. drought tolerant too.

Positive Ficurinia On Dec 16, 2009, Ficurinia from Portland, OR wrote:

I have two of these that I grew from seed. They are three-years-old and fruited this summer for the first time. I was shocked since Oregon is not exactly warm. Maybe it was our really warm summer? (I should add that I only had 3 fruits, so don't get too excited.) Curious to see what happens this next summer...

Positive valleylynn On Aug 20, 2009, valleylynn from Dallas, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I purchased this plant from a nursery in Corvallis,Or about 3 years ago. It was about 1' tall and is now about 3' tall.
It has bloomed all summer for the three years I have had it in the ground. Seems to be very hardy here in our zone 8. So far has not set fruit, but worth having for it beautiful blooms.

Positive Milehigh_7 On May 25, 2009, Milehigh_7 from Henderson, NV (Zone 7b) wrote:

If you live in a hot, dry climate as I do this wonderful plant is an excellent choice. The problem with the 'Nana' variety is due to the fact that it has become a bit of a catch all category. Pomegranates that have been grown from seed are EXTREMELY variable.

Positive pbtxlady On Apr 18, 2009, pbtxlady from Garland, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I can't tell how big this "dwarf" is going to get. It was a foot tall when I planted it 3 years ago, and now it's almost to 6 feet. Mine is shielded part of the afternoon, but I have seen them grown in this area in full hot Texas sun. It begins blooming in mid-April and flowers continuously until frost. The bees and butterflies love it, and so do we. We get several dozen fruits from it every year, but so far very few are big enough to eat. Oh, well... maybe this will be the year.

Positive dnswilkinson On Dec 7, 2008, dnswilkinson from Elizabethtown, PA wrote:

I purchased a dwarf a few years back from a bonsai dealer. I did not train it as a bonsai - just thought it was an adorable plant. It was less than 10" tall then and is now close to 2', but I also trim it to keep it small in the pot. It does super outside in summer and I bring it inside during winter. It drops alot of leaves at first, but continues to sprout new ones and flowers all through winter inside. I have never gotten fruit. Is there something I can do to help it fruit or will it never fruit because it's dwarf? Any information would be appreciated.

Positive paizley On Oct 22, 2008, paizley from Placitas, NM wrote:

I have a potted dwarf pomegranate which is still in its original
pot. I received this plant as a gift in May 2007. The
plant is a little over 5 ft tall now so it has grown 3 ft.
I have fed it once. The plant spent its summer with full morning sun and afternoon shade. Grasshoppers would sometimes chew on the flowers. It overwintered indoors last year and bloomed continuously. I have just brought it indoors
yesterday as we are expecting a freeze tonight. I have two
fruit, one almost ready for picking. I started manually
pollinating the flowers in the past month to see if I could
encourage fruit production. There appears to be two more
fruit developing. I live at an altitude of 6500 ft in the
mountains of north central New Mexico (Placitas). The
summers can be on the hot side 92-96 degrees), but the humidity is low, though during the monsoonal season we may get thundershowers daily. The plant will spend its winter in front of a sunny warm window. I'm hoping it will continue to produce flowers over the winter and maybe I can force some more fruit.

Positive vossner On Mar 29, 2008, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

definitely compact and frequent bloomer

UPDATE: Aug 2012. My plant continues to be beautiful and easy care. As of this writing, the plant is loaded with fruit. when researching whether fruit is edible, I could find no absolute answer on the subject. So... I've decided to find out for myself. I harvested some fruit today (late Aug 2012) and cut them open. Arils were white and very tart, I would not enjoy eating them this tart. I think they need to ripen another month. By my calculations, if plant blooms in March, fruit should be ready to harvest in September-October. I will pick remaining fruit in late Sep. and report accordingly.

Positive ManicReality On Apr 28, 2007, ManicReality from Houston, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

So far, so good. I have grown pom's before and they did well , up until an ignorant person ran over them with a lawnmower too many times. So Now I have 2 more poms and one less ignorant person, they should do great! I also have a friendly couple not to far from me that have a couple of these on their property that are in constant bloom. I love the way the flowers just pop out of their little casing. When I first saw them I thought they looked like shiny plastic figs that exploded into shreds, simply beautiful. Can't wait to see and taste the fruits.

Positive aasalas On May 21, 2005, aasalas from Lewes, DE (Zone 7b) wrote:

I was amazed to see that there's a beautiful (low, of course) 10-15' long hedge of this growing here in Lewes, DE, which appears to be at least several years old. The plants are all intertwined, and bloomed beautifully the past 5 years (first I saw them). Don't know if the dwarf ones fruit, but not here--too far north. They form lots of fruits, but freezing comes before they ripen. We've got the sandy soil, but I had thought we were too far north. I've planted several in full sun this year. I'll let the list know if they survive in future years . . .

Positive okus On Sep 27, 2004, okus from (Zone 8b) wrote:

Mine has bloomed continuously since mid-April. It is still blooming now and it is also covered in fruit. A really good value plant!

Positive angelam On Apr 9, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

I have a shrub at least 15 years old and about 4ft high. It is never pruned or watered but maintains a compact shape and a dense glossy foliage of an attractive bright green yellowing in Autumn. Its main flush of flowers is in the Spring but it then spot flowers all Summer and well into Autumn a beautiful contrast to the foliage. The fruit are small,hard and inedible but hang on the branches all through Winter if unpicked. A wonderfully lush looking shrub for a tough location.

Positive clantonnaomi On Mar 16, 2004, clantonnaomi from Iredell, TX wrote:

I have two of these growing in full sun in central Texas and I am very pleased with them. They are beautiful in the summer - covered with bright orange-red blooms and then later with small fruit. I have had them for three years and they have never gotten over three feet tall. I would highly recommend them.

Positive Pua On Mar 16, 2004, Pua from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

One of my favorite dwarf shrubs to 3 feet tall. Does very well in our San Antonio alkaline soil. A very nice shrub for the overdone dwarf yaupon holly and a lot more rewarding. Takes our hot afternoon sun very well and is drought tolerant.

Positive plantandsow On Mar 15, 2004, plantandsow wrote:

I have grown successfully so far 4 plants from seed. They are still at the seedling stage but are very healthy. I used organic soil to sow them in; I extracted the seed from the soft outer fruit and lightly covered them over with soil. I used an unheated propagator to germinate them.

Positive noxiousweed On Nov 13, 2003, noxiousweed from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I found the container this tree of ours came in - but ours is not looking so DWARF to me. :o) It's about 8' tall. I trimmed it back in early summer and it's about 8' tall again! It produced a single fruit this summer - about 3" across, almost full-size.

I wouldn't have known to choose it but I'm glad it's there. With its origins in the Middle East, it's an interesting addition to our California garden!

Positive dogbane On Nov 12, 2003, dogbane from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is an often overlooked shrub or small tree that has great qualities. It has no chronic insect or disease problems, can grow in sun or shade (more flowering in full sun), is drought tolerant and needs little or no fertilizing. Except for 'reclaiming' older specimens, it needs little pruning. Long lived, too.

Positive Monocromatico On May 28, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I have seen cute Bonsai specimen of this plant, and the fruits are equally edible, like the normal-sized varieties

Fort Payne, Alabama
Kilgore, Texas
Nacogdoches, Texas
Needville, Texas
Plano, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)