PlantFiles: Mother-of-Thousands
Kalanchoe 'Houghtonii'

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Kalanchoe (kal-un-KOH-ee) (Info)
Cultivar: Houghtonii
Additional cultivar information: (aka Houghton's Hybrid)

Synonym:Bryophyllum

Thumbnail #2 of Kalanchoe  by onalee

By onalee
Thumbnail #3 of Kalanchoe  by onalee

Positive barrms04 On Dec 19, 2010, barrms04 from Louisville, KY wrote:

My son bought me this plant and others in a huge pot for Mother's Day. This plant of course has grown way above the rest. I now have flowers and they are beginning to fade. When I cut off the flowers will they grow back? And can I prune this plant? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Positive Dave_in_Devon On Dec 20, 2008, Dave_in_Devon from Torquay
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

Here in the UK K. delagoense (tubiflorum) and diagremontianum are the commonest of the viviparous Kalanchoes and x houghtonii (Houghtons Hybrid) is not often seen. I came across it in Cyprus a while ago and was struck by its ruby red flowers held on long stems well above the plant. I brought back some offsets and have found it to be reasonably hardy here if protected from excessive winter wet. It flowered here for the first time in spring 2008 and is a very handsome plant - far more attractive than either parent.

Positive jamalsvenmark On May 3, 2006, jamalsvenmark from Vilseck, Bavaria
Germany (Zone 5a) wrote:

EXTREMELY invasive plant! LOL. I live in Germany and of course the climate is way too cold here to grow it outside, but it grows more than well indoors. My plant has very large leaves (compared to all the others I've seen on here) and has hundreds of miniature plants that grow all around the leaves. Whenever they fall into a close by pot they start growing, and it's hard to keep them in their own pot. Also I have to clean the floor and window sill constantly. I uploaded a picture of my version of the Chandelier plant so you know what I'm talking about. The blossoms of my plant are very dull and pale and vary anywhere from a light copper to light lilac. My oldest chandelier plant is 5 years old and blooms for the first time. As most succulents it doesn't require much care, as long as you give it enough light and not too much water/fertilizer. If you water too much the plants tend to mold and die, so rather keep it too dry than too wet.
Altogether very attractive and bizarre appearance!

Neutral Kelli On Jun 24, 2005, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Said to be a hybrid of B. daigremontianum and B. tubiflorum.

I like the cluster of flowers that it forms, much like B. tubiflorum. I would imagine that it is invasive under the right conditions. My is on the porch and nothing has yet figured out how to root in the concrete.

Positive Happenstance On Feb 16, 2005, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

B. daigremontianum X B.delagoense

Positive forestroll On Jan 26, 2005, forestroll from Colorado Springs, CO wrote:

I had this plant many years ago but didn't know the name of it at the time. I had great success with it. I grew it indoors here in Colorado, and loved it. I will add that the 'babies' do fall off and will reseed quite effectively. The plant was given to me and I transported it in my car, which developed a leak in the window seals. I didn't use that car again for many weeks after and when I went to drive it again, the 'babies' that had fallen off the plant, had gotten into the moist carpet, sprouted and the entire floorboard of my car was filled with plants about two to four inches tall. Seems to like humidity but will also do well in arid conditions.

Mountain Home, Arkansas