Marguerite Daisy, Summer Daisy, Cobbity Daisy, Paris Daisy
Argyranthemum frutescens 'Butterfly'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Argyranthemum (ar-ji-RAN-the-mum) (Info)
Species: frutescens (froo-TESS-enz) (Info)
Cultivar: Butterfly
Synonym:Argyranthemum frutescens

This plant is resistant to deer

Anchorage, Alaska

Canton, Ohio

Orient, Ohio

Orange, Texas

On Sep 1, 2011, ReetPetite from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

I buy new plants every year for both container and garden use. Wikipedia says seeds are infertile and that it is native to the Canary Islands so I've quit trying to collect seeds. I plan to take cuttings to grow indoors this year. I purposely did not deadhead one of my seven plants and it quit flowering in early August while all the rest kept going. They wilt off with insufficient watering but revive nicely if caught in time. I deadhead fully spent flowers and any with darkened central disk flowers, even if the lightened ray flowers could stay another day. The plants look brighter this way and I don't have to deadhead daily. I grow them in afternoon shade positions with enough peat for the soil to stay moist for two days in my 10% humidity climate and high 90s daily summer temps. Stil... read more

On Oct 19, 2009, dirt1237 from Millington, NJ wrote:

Millington NJ it wintered in a north facing garden--gets1/2 day of sun -Beautiful foliage and spectacular flowers-deadheading makes a difference in amount off blooms.
Ybirdpat

On Oct 19, 2008, katsu from Columbus, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is my new favorite container plant. I thought it was an Osteospermum until I saw the tag...but this really flowers more for us! It's October 19 and still cranking out the flowers. I was deadheading it a lot (it's actually hard to keep up) but now I'm not sure this is necessary to keep it blooming.

I'm a big fan of plants that look great without a lot of attention, and I love the soft yellow color. The flowers are about 1 1/2 to 2" wide.

I'll be looking for this guy next year!

On Jun 2, 2007, pegc0127 from Santa Fe, NM wrote:

I put 3 of these in last year..2 died off immediately. but the one which survived is about 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide, but no flowers yet. I'll patiently wait. The green leaves are really nice to look at but I can't wait until it blossoms.

On Jul 17, 2003, BougiKat from Kc, MO wrote:

I like the flowers, the interesting leaf shape, and a few plants but they reseed every year so that they and Blue Flax pretty much take over the (large) flower bed. I dig and give away as many plants as I can but I still end up pulling and throwing (OUCH). This is something I don't like to do to any flower.

Last summer I spotted Goldfinches eating the seed centers of flowers that were fading so my tolerance of the plant has been elevated.

I moved some of my "extras" this year to a new spot under a Finch feeder where I also planted a butterfly bush.

Zone 4 / 5A

On Feb 22, 2003, koldkitty from Anchorage, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

I grew the "Butterfly" variety (which is yellow)last summer in a container. One of the cheeriest and most hearty plants I have ever grown! I put a photo on the database ... gorgeous flower!!