Confederate Jasmine, Star Jasmine
Trachelospermum jasminoides

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Trachelospermum (tray-key-low-SPER-mum) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Synonym:Rhynchospermum jasminoides

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Ashville, Alabama

Birmingham, Alabama

New Market, Alabama

Wilmer, Alabama

Glendale, Arizona (2 reports)

Tempe, Arizona

Citrus Heights, California

Corning, California

Desert Hot Springs, California

Elk Grove, California

Fallbrook, California (2 reports)

Knights Landing, California

La Jolla, California

Laguna Beach, California

Los Altos, California

Los Angeles, California (2 reports)

Manhattan Beach, California

Martinez, California

Modesto, California

Murrieta, California

Oxnard, California

Palo Alto, California

Pasadena, California

Rocklin, California

San Clemente, California (2 reports)

Santa Ana, California

Stockton, California

Vacaville, California

Van Nuys, California

West Covina, California

Wildomar, California

Auburndale, Florida

Bartow, Florida (2 reports)

Boca Raton, Florida

Cape Coral, Florida

Clearwater, Florida

Deltona, Florida

Dunnellon, Florida (2 reports)

Gainesville, Florida (2 reports)

Holmes Beach, Florida

Interlachen, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)

Kissimmee, Florida

Old Town, Florida

Orlando, Florida

Palmetto, Florida

Port Orange, Florida

Rockledge, Florida (2 reports)

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Sanford, Florida

Satellite Beach, Florida

Sebring, Florida

Tampa, Florida (2 reports)

Titusville, Florida

Umatilla, Florida

Venice, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

Winter Haven, Florida (2 reports)

Zephyrhills, Florida

Soperton, Georgia

Ainaloa, Hawaii

Benton, Kentucky

Bastrop, Louisiana

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (3 reports)

Bossier City, Louisiana

Flowood, Mississippi

Madison, Mississippi

Mathiston, Mississippi

Petal, Mississippi

Las Vegas, Nevada (2 reports)

North Las Vegas, Nevada (2 reports)

Alamogordo, New Mexico

Brooklyn, New York

Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Charlotte, North Carolina

Elizabeth City, North Carolina (2 reports)

Fayetteville, North Carolina

Lake Lure, North Carolina

Littleton, North Carolina

New Bern, North Carolina

Raleigh, North Carolina (7 reports)

Rowland, North Carolina

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Woodward, Oklahoma

Albany, Oregon

Mill City, Oregon

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

Springfield, Oregon

Beaufort, South Carolina

Bluffton, South Carolina

Charleston, South Carolina (3 reports)

Clemson, South Carolina

Moncks Corner, South Carolina

North Augusta, South Carolina

Piedmont, South Carolina

Rock Hill, South Carolina

Saint Helena Island, South Carolina (2 reports)

Sullivans Island, South Carolina

Summerville, South Carolina (2 reports)

Sumter, South Carolina

Chattanooga, Tennessee

Collierville, Tennessee

Knoxville, Tennessee

Lake City, Tennessee

Munford, Tennessee

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Bastrop, Texas

Grand Prairie, Texas

Hallettsville, Texas

Haltom City, Texas

Humble, Texas

Kerrville, Texas (2 reports)

Liverpool, Texas

Plano, Texas

Quemado, Texas

Rosenberg, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)

San Augustine, Texas

Everett, Washington

Felida, Washington

Olympia, Washington

Otis Orchards, Washington

Seattle, Washington (3 reports)

Vancouver, Washington

White Center, Washington

Woodland, Washington

On Feb 20, 2014, SavvyDaze from Lady's Island, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have Confederate Jasmine planted in various places around the yard here in Coastal South Carolina. By far, the ones that receive at least 6 hours of direct sun, grow faster and are more vigorous than those in part shade or dappled shade.

Even during hot, humid summers with very little rainfall or supplemental water, the Jasmine doesn't seem to mind. It continues to grow like there is no tomorrow.

The freak ice storm that hit our area in the winter of 2014 didn't even phase the Jasmine. The unusual low winter temperatures this year hasn't caused any die back or loss of foliage.

I planted these Jasmines straight into the sandy South Carolina soil without amending it & it has done great. I rarely fertilize it & when I do, it it usually just an ... read more

On May 17, 2013, smcatl from Atlanta, GA wrote:

For the past two seasons this plant has thrived in our yard. My mother, in Griffin, Georgia, 40 miles south of Atlanta, had a magnificent specimen that took over a 10 foot high wrought iron terrace railing.

On Dec 27, 2012, CatladyDane from Orlando, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I planted one small plant years ago. It has thrived and grown to cover a chain link fence about 20' long. My neighbor has one that covers a fence and goes up the telephone pole at the corner. When in bloom the fragrance is just heavenly! I basically do nothing to care for mine except trim a bit now and then because it has no more growing space available. (As with all new plants, I did take care to water it well when first planted and until established.)

On Dec 10, 2012, FlaFlower from Miami Dade, FL (Zone 11) wrote:

I don't notice that it smells like much of anything, it is unruly and ugly as far as growth habit goes, the flowers are a star shaped but nothing to get all excited about. I planted one when we moved in here 5 years ago, good thing it was behind the shed, because shortly it will be gone round up is coming...can't waste real estate on something that is so unattractive and un amusing all the way around.

On Jul 9, 2012, karnak from Mission Viejo, CA wrote:

Love Love the smell & how bushy & lush I always see these plants around town, bought 3 for my front & 3 for my back yard & lets just say this was about 3 years ago & nothing really is going on with them. The ones in the front get a bit of sun in the morning & plenty of water however they are still the same size as when I got them just about 3 ft a few of the vines have grown out to wind on the trellis but other then that nothing. The ones in the back well they are mostly in the shade all day, it looks like I am trying to grow sticks they have a few leaves on top & that's its. Alright let me have it what am I doing wrong!! I want these plants to grow crazy out of control, bushy I want them tall growing on their trellis to help create a privacy area that's scented :) is there some magic ... read more

On Jul 4, 2012, davysmom03 from Bastrop, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have had this plant for 3 years, and it's nice. I have it on a short trellis (3'), and it is not out of control by any stretch of the imagination. The variety I have is Mandianum or 'Mandy.' The petals are cream-colored, and the flower has a yellow center. It doesn't seem to have quite the fragrance as the regular variety of confederate jasmine. I had the regular variety several years ago, and it had a wonderful fragrance that was similar to gardenia.

On May 13, 2012, itom37 from Charleston, SC wrote:

Planted this along a fence that receives full sun 6-8 hours a day. In Charleston, I've seen it do well in shadier areas as well. It certainly thrives here, needing no watering, and has grown quickly to fill the space. It blooms in mid spring and has a beautiful scent. I like it for the evergreen foliage as well.

On Jan 7, 2012, Floritucky from Benton, KY wrote:

Although considered a zone 8 and higher plant by most authorities, it has performed well over through winters for us here in western Kentucky. I think zone 7a is a more appropriate zone label.

On Dec 8, 2011, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Stuck two of these in the ground four years ago against two good thick metal trellises , Now they have a main stem the size of my wrist , have completely twisted and gnarled the trellises and are pretty much supporting themselves . All I do is trim them when they start grabbing for nearby plants and they pretty much take care of themselves . Love them and their blooms in spring . They also sailed through this 2011 Texas drought unscathed . I have them in full blazing sun and they seem to be happy wet or dry as a bone .

On Sep 20, 2011, Toots136 from Glendale, AZ wrote:

This is one of my favorite plants. Moving to Arizona from Illinois was a challenge in many ways, gardening being one of the biggest. I bought 2 small star jasmine plants to put on each side of my back door leading to my garden and soon after decided to start a compost pile/hole in the ground near it. I fed and watered the compost pile regularly, not thinking about the vine more than lacing the long branches that it produced. It took 2 years for them to bloom and oh my!!! It was glorious, especially at night. They filled the area with the most beautiful fragrance! They grew up, up, up, to over the top of my house and in the meantime I had to take snippers with me to cut my way out of the door on a regular basis. One morning I decided to cut a few blooming branches to put on my desk at work.... read more

On Jun 17, 2011, luella10 from Modesto, CA wrote:

When I moved into my house 18 years ago, the first thing I saw as I walked into the house was an ugly 7 foot tall wooden fence about 20 feet from the patio door. I had to cover it up. So I built a raised bed 24 feet long at the base of the fence and planted 6 star jasmine plants. I provided them with drip irrigation and a trellis fastened to the fence to climb on. The plants quickly covered the trellis and within a couple of years, pulled the trellis off the fence. I pruned the vines heavily and got rid of the trellis. Without the trellis, the vines don't climb as high, but I have to prune them hard every year after they bloom, or they'll take over the patio. I live in USDA Zone 9b. We had a 24 degree freeze last January, and there was no damage. The vines are on a south-facing fence in fu... read more

On May 14, 2011, cjohnweb from Rocklin, CA wrote:

This is actually one of my favorite plants, it is the reason I started gardening. When I was young I remember sitting at my moms home in the Summer time, the windows and back sliding glass door open and the curtains down.....just trying to keep cool....and the breeze would carry in the most amazing scent of the Star Jasmine / Trachelospermum that was growing in the backyard. I have to say that the fragrance is unforgettable and if you have kids their sensitive noses will pick it up and it will remind them of home. Grow it up a wall, trellis, or fence and you can get a lot of flowers without taking up too much space. It will take over a yard if left unkept though so you have to spend some time working with it - but it's worth it. It's extremely pretty and fragrant when in bloom. It is a mus... read more

On Apr 24, 2011, DebinSC from Georgetown, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Though it is listed as sun/part shade, mine (which is the "Madison" variety) is on a wall in full, though high, shade and blooms beautifully each year; however, if you grow it in full shade, especially in the humid south, it is subject to mealy bug issues, so you have to watch out for that.

On Apr 18, 2011, walksfarwoman54 from Lacey, WA wrote:

I am new to this site but wanted to make a comment about this plant. I live in the Olympia area of Washington state. I have a Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum Jasminoides) that has been growing in a large pot for several years. I have not given it any special treatment in our cold winters here. It blooms for me very well with very fragrant blooms that I have had many comments about. As it has been in this pot for several years I am going to give it to my daughter to plant in her landscaping and start a new plant from cuttings. I would appreciate any comments about others success and methods for propagation.

On Apr 6, 2011, jglenncox from Antlers, OK wrote:

I am seeing a plant named "star jasmine" offered in nurseries this year. The scientific name shown is jasminum polyanthum. However, the plant is actually "pink jasmine". The blooms have a pink cast. The blooms on this vine STINK!!! Real star jasmine or confederate jasmine is trachelospermum jasminoides. The blooms on a true star or confederate jasmine have a delightful smell. Don't make the mistake of buying jasminum polyanthum.

On Oct 7, 2010, Robynbird from El Paso, TX wrote:

I wanted to make a comment about misinformation on this page regarding this plant. I noticed when I searched that there were many websites stating that this plant was poisonous, making me very nervous to plant it for shade on my patio. I hope it is comforting to others to know that the University of California has concluded it is not poisonous, though like any plant it might cause an allergic reaction. It has no medicinal use so it shouldn't be ingested, but it should not be toxic to animals or people unless an allergy is present. The ASPCA has confirmed it as well. I urge people publishing to any place, including the web, to practice good research skills and use reliable sources. I was greatly disturbed that I was not warned at the nursery of the plant's harmful nature, and I though... read more

On Sep 4, 2010, Bubbha from Houston, TX wrote:

Star Jasmine is an invasive non-native plant.

PLEASE consider growing plants native to your area.

Invasives should not be encouraged, much less sold.

Non native plants do not support the insects and animals which live in any given area. So they undercut, in a very serious way, the entire foundation of the native environment.

I've grown star jasmine very 'successfully' for many years, even carefully transplanting a mature vine from one location to another. They're very easy to grow, as most invasives usually are, and i enjoyed the few weeks of fragrant white bloom every year. But I will dig up and remove these transplants, and replace them with all native varieties.

Once your gardener's eyes are aware of thi... read more

On Jul 31, 2010, jerseyearth from Fair Haven, NJ wrote:

Here in Central Jersey, I brought the potted Star Jasmine inside for the winter and stored it in a somewhat dark basement for the winter. Watered about once a month. It went dormant. In the spring, brought it upstairs and put in a sunny window. Straggly vines and flowers appeared about 3 weeks later. BUT, when I put it outside, pot and all, it grew bigger, and the leaves grew shinier. It bloomed in June heartily. I will repeat the basement thing, then repot in the summer. Gotta save this plant for as long as i can!

On Jul 12, 2010, lee_ro from Raleigh, NC wrote:

I moved to my current residence in Raleigh, NC in 2005. In the backyard, to the left and the right of my fenced gate there were a couple jasmine plants established and growing over the fence. Vines extending about 20-30 feet in either direction. The scent in spring time is intoxicating-- a little too intense in my opinion, but still not bad. The flowers so floriferous that it looked like my fence was covered in snow in the spring.

I estimated the plants had been established for a few years by the time I moved in to the residence in 2005, judging on how lush they were. Very low maintenence, I would just trim them when they began encroaching on other plants in the garden. The jasmine plants withstood a summer drought here a few years ago, too. Never had to go out of my ... read more

On Jun 27, 2010, SouthernBelles from Soperton, GA wrote:

After observing how a local florist used the confederate jasmine as a fence cover, I was determined to do the same on my new fence in 2004. I started out with 36 plants and watered them faithfully the first summer. For about 5 years I would lose 1 or 2 due to temperatures dropping in the 'teens in central Georgia; but, I would always go back and replace them the next spring. My diligence has paid off. I now have a beautiful full privacy fence created by my confederate jasmine on my chain link fence. It's a definite plus when it blooms. Now that they are established I hardly water them at all. They require little care--just a capful of "osmocote" fertilizer after they bloom and a good trim about the first of July. Any trimming after that time make them more venerable to the next cold wi... read more

On Jun 20, 2010, luvprimitive from Evington, VA wrote:

I have been growing this in a large pot for several years. I was bringing it in my greenhouse in the winter because I thought it wasn't hardy in my central Va. area. This past winter scale attacked it so I decided to leave it out and just let it die. To my amazement, it has come back beautifully and there are no scale right now. So it overwintered in zone 7b in a pot. And this was one of our harshest winters in a while. I'm going to put it in the ground.

On May 22, 2010, RedChloe from Pooler, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love my jasmine, it grows over a swing and perfumes the whole yard.
A note to cece71... the west tends to be alkali, try giving your sad plant some kind of fertilizer for acid loving plants (like azaleas). There are several good ones on the market

On Apr 25, 2010, Zoot from Birmingham, AL wrote:

My neighbor has this vine and it is flourishing in zone 7b, Hoover, AL. It is looking great even after this colder than usual winter.

On Apr 21, 2010, JayneW from Tomball, TX wrote:

We planted this plant near our back door and patio, hoping to enjoy its fragrance when we sit out on the patio. It's grown beautifully and this is the second year we've had it blooming. There's just one problem. It has absolutely NO SCENT. We call it the Star Scentless.

On Apr 7, 2010, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

In my rather cool greenhouse, overnight minimum, 50 to 55 degrees, in Zone 5, the Star Jasmine stopped growing in October and just sat quietly green and shiny until March. After a month's growth it is sparsely budded. I like this because, stalled out like that, it did not cover up the other stuff in the greenhouse.

On Dec 1, 2009, altoclef from Los Altos, CA wrote:

These plants have covered our back fence for over 20 years. For that they merit as positive a rating as I can give.them. However over the last 4 years, we have been losing plants at the rate of 1 or 2 per year One will turn a beautiful shade of red during the summer, and is totally dried up by winter. No signs of trouble occur before the leaves turn unseasonably red. The cultural conditions for each of the plants has been different, e.g. sun, shad, moist, dry.... Do plants die of old age?

On Oct 22, 2009, ninihii from Limuru
Kenya wrote:

Our Trachelospermum J has recently shown significant growth followed by the well known white star flowers.

We have now observed that "hundreds" of what look like small 'green-bottle' flies have been attracted to the blooms and stuck their probiscuses into the centre - but apparently are unable to withdraw them, almost as if the flower has clamped them. The just struggle there until they die. I have tried pulling a few out, which can be done but with considerable difficulty! I have now transferred a couple of chameleons from other plants in the garden to this one, and they seem very happy with their new-found source of food! But I was wondering if anyone can throw any light on the phenomenum we are experiencing? Has anyone seen anything similar, and do they know why it ... read more

On Aug 6, 2009, bluffles from Austin, TX wrote:

Love the smell of this. I've planted this in part shade and it still produces lovely blooms. Attracks the hummingbirds like crazy. It seems to be fairly invasive. I often cut back the reaching vines...but then it seems to bloom more for me ;-)

Also, I have to admit the soil it's planted in is mostly clay with some topsoil on top. Still thrives! Love this plant!

On Jul 19, 2009, jimnroxz from Minooka, IL wrote:

We live in zone 5b around 60 miles SW of Chicago. Our confederate jasmine claims it is winter hardy to 0 F. While we overwinter ours in a heated (50F) garage, we are going to attempt to overwinter outdoors on the southern exposure of our home. We have had good luck with banana trees overwintering with a heavy mulch, so thought we'd give it a try. Will let you all know in the Spring 2010! Wish us luck!

On Jul 13, 2009, khabbab from lahore
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have it in a clay pot of 14 inches and it bloomed in spring and not after months. blooms are small and fragrant. It is not a vigorous grower as compared to other jasmines. i think it needs more fertilizer. its in partial sun.
Khabbab
Lahore Pakistan

On Jul 9, 2009, cece71 from Richmond, CA wrote:

I am having massive problems with my star jasmine. I bought it last fall as a good sized plant. It has grown and is vining up a trellis in pretty much full sun. It has never looked healthy however. It has looked worse as the summer has progressed. The leaves have yellowed to the point that I suspect one day soon it will expire. We have heavy clay here. We dug a big hole, used 1/4 to 1/2 compost, some time release fertilizer and have watered it reasonalby. What oh, what am I doing wrong? I usually have a pretty green thumb.

On May 4, 2009, TxSugarMagnolia from Yoakum, TX wrote:

My confederate jasmine is about 6 or 7 years old now, and was started in a pot in Conroe, Texas (about 30 miles north of Houston). It was moved in the pot to Yoakum, Texas (about 120 miles south of Houston) in 2004, and planted in the ground at that time, with a trellis for support. It is quite hardy, having survived a couple freezes in Conroe and a freak snow and ice storm as well as a couple freezes at this location. It is now in full bloom, and the flowers have always been extremely fragrant. I am extremely pleased with this vine, and plan on trying to propagate to other locations around my land. I highly recommend this plant for its fragrant blooms and year-round greenery.

On Apr 14, 2009, ABY102833 from Largo, FL wrote:

I bought 3 in 2007, and no flowers, I was ready to get rid of it, but I was told to have patience, and do not over fertilize it.
This April 2009 they are blooming beautiful.
Two of them receive the afternoon sun and sprinklers twice a week, the other gets the morning sun, and does not bloom as much.

On Feb 8, 2009, robslatt4567 from Collierville, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

I purchased a 1 gallon specimen in 2006 and planted it along a 6ft wooden fence along the south side of my house near Memphis TN. It grows in ph6.0-6.5 clay soil with only part sun. It has done well despite a setback with a large dog in 2007. I collected seeds for the 1st time just a few days ago in early Feb 2009. I will need to trim it back a little. It blooms in early summer for 3-4 weeks.

On Jan 29, 2009, jqpublic from Cary, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this plant. It grows against our house on a small metal trellis. We get quite cold some years. We've gotten to 11 and 13 this year. We've also gotten 6" of snow. The plant seems fine. Its been here for 8 years at least. Perhaps we haven't gotten any die-back because it is against the house?

On Aug 20, 2008, Ouisch from Janesville, WI wrote:

One of my absolute favorites! Just a few flowers smell the whole surrounding area. I lived in Seattle and it did just fine outdoors in a pot on the deck. Very hardy! Survived a ride on the back of a trailer with a tarp smashing it all the way to WI where it finally died after an awful hot summer. Finally mail ordered a new one and am also curious how well it handles the winter indoors.

On Apr 26, 2008, WombatFamily from Brenham, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Can't say enough good things. We plant it everywhere. I ignored it all winter and it was great, even through a 19 degree freeze, and one that I hadn't even put it in the GROUND yet. We plant it in pots, let it climb all over the porch, and intersperse it in the front garden to work as ground cover. It smells fabulous, blooms for months, and doesn't looks all gross and dead when it quits blooming. It's dark green all winter, and it will grow in full, hot, blazing, Texas sun or full shade. It grows much slower in shade but will still bloom.

Love this stuff.

On Feb 29, 2008, serenesower from Garland, TX wrote:

Purchased this plant in a six inch pot already in bloom. Plopped it in the ground at the corner of our lattice-enclosed pattio and it is slowly making it's way throughthe front and side. Survived the winter with minimal damage (none, in fact) and am hopeful it will take off once things warm up. Smell is great and very easy to take care of

On Dec 15, 2007, jdiaz from Chowchilla, CA wrote:

Commonly grown throughout central and southern california. Mine usually flower throuout the year, heavily in the spring and summer, and sparingly through the fall and winter time. I just trimmed my jasmines today, as they had grown into a huge tangled mess, and trained them along a brick wall. I have posted a picture of 2 of the newly trimmed and trained vines if you'd like to take a look.

On Nov 8, 2007, krissy_p from Pipe Creek, TX wrote:

I love confederate jasmine! The flowers are the most wonderful thing I have ever smelled, plus they are so easy to grow they are basically maintenance free.

On Mar 31, 2007, 1cros3nails4gvn from Bluffton, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

Confederate Jasmine is one of my favorite vines i have ever grown. the fragrance is absolutely heavenly and reminds me of warm southern summer nights spending time at the pool or near the lagoon harassing alligators... but anyways when it is in full bloom it looks like a night sky full of clusters and constellations of stars. i would reccomend this to any one who lives in the hardiness range.

On Sep 16, 2006, dbandtb from Plano, TX wrote:

Live in the Dallas area and have had 2 plants growing for 3 years now in the ground next to my patio cover. Have absolutely covered it and are wonderful climbers. You do need to keep the long, twisting vines under control as they try to latch on to everything.
Blooms pretty much all year, most prevalent in the Spring when I get hundreds if not thousands of flowers. Seed pods develop mid summer and usually burst Sept - October with tons of parachute type seeds.
Both of the plants have survived several winters without covering and we've experienced hard freezes as well as an occasional light snow.

On Jul 2, 2006, podster from Deep East Texas, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Low maintenance evergreen vine, with a month of delightful fragrant blooms in the springtime. It is planted on the east side of the house and in zone 8a that is the only winter protection it receives.

On Jun 18, 2006, eurokitty from Seattle, WA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This grows very well and quite quickly here in Southwest Florida. While it's very manageable, you must realize that these can grow into very strong vines. Don't grow it too close to the house, it can cause damage if left unchecked. We had a wooden fence that the vine literally started to tear apart. We cut it back and put in a wooden trellis about 1'' away from fence. But like I said, it's manageable and it will behave itself if you just monitor it. That vine has wrapped itself on the trellis, rather than the fence.

We bought a house that has only a chain link fence that separated us and a very close neighbor. However, taking out the fence proved unrealistic; there were all kinds of trees and bushes growing around/through the fence. Taking out the whole chain link fence mean... read more

On Jun 3, 2006, Shugababe from Wilmer, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This beautiful, prolific grower is a keeper, in Southern Alabama. The smell is wonderful! Watch what it's planted beside if you don't want it covered because it tends to go everywhere- we are constantly cutting it back. Even the smallest clippings root and bloom in no time.

On May 10, 2006, cottonfarm from Midlothian, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I purchased 2 half gallon plants in 2002, one is on the east side of a chain link fence about 4 ft from the garage, it will bloom and cover the fence in one season. it gets full sun in the morning. The other one is under the east side of a tree, and covers the chain link fence, I get alot of burn back in winter freezes. I just cut off the dead at the top and its back in no time.I would recomend using this to cover ugly chain link fence. My neighbor says she enjoys it alot, she says it smells so good, however I do not think it is that fragrant. If not for the die back this would be too hard to keep in. I sould add this is limey clay soil.

On May 9, 2006, gcfq from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a great plant. We love all jasmine. We also have a lakeview jasmine.The lakeview is new but supposed to grow fast like a tree. Blooms more than the confederate. I haven't pruned this confederate and don't know where to start. I also have verigated jasmine that does not do as well. Great Vine in Florida as I've never had to cover it in the last five years.

On May 3, 2006, beachkat from Cabo Real, Baja
Mexico (Zone 11) wrote:

I live in Cabo Real - Baja Mexico - this jasmine grows very well here thriving in the hot sun with some irrigation. I'm now trying to root some clippings. The scent is devine!

On Apr 3, 2006, Sheila_FW from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have had several of these at my house. The first was on a lattice against a brick wall, the evergreen vine was eyecatching on white lattice. It was wonderful and hardy, until we had to take it out to paint our brick. Others my neighbor and I share on a fence between houses and it was very thick and lush. I liked it so well that I planted two more on a fence mid way down my yard and two on either side of an arbor. For two years it has lived on that fence, but never thrived, I blamed too much shade. Then on the arbor it thrived and covered it in no time. The aroma of the blossoms is so wonderful! But unfortunately this year it got to the mid 20s and I lost the ones on the arbor, the ones mid way down the fence, and it seriously damaged the ones between the houses. I love it's arom... read more

On Feb 13, 2006, droughtlover from Igo, CA wrote:

My Confederate Jasmine has survived for the past 2 years in my Zone 7 garden, but never grew much and never bloomed. The leaves and younger stems were damaged by frost; the leaves take on a red-bronze hue when they are frost damaged. It does put on a little growth in spring, but never seems to get very far. I have moved the plant to a more frost-protected position near the house, and took a bunch of cuttings. I'll try some different locations with the rooted cuttings to see where (or IF) I can make it thrive in my garden.

On Feb 4, 2006, temdevon from Saltillo
Mexico wrote:

My star jasmine had thrived for three years , has a great fragance when it flowers in April. Thrives well in very cold winters and hot summers here in Saltillo, Mexico. This plant is growing well and has covered a good portion of my fence.

On May 3, 2005, MrClint from Van Nuys, CA wrote:

Star jasmine is a proven performer here in Southern California. Its versatility, adaptability, drought resistance, and wonderful flowers & foliage make it a must have plant. It does well in full to partial sun, as a ground cover, bush, or climbing vine, and blooms spring to fall. For maximum flower power, guard against over pruning the new spring growth. Place it right outside the window of your favorite room, and let the breeze bring you an intoxicating treat.

On Apr 9, 2005, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Sudie Goodman, Zone 8b, Broaddus, SE, Texas
Purchased Star Jasmine in 6- inch pot in 2003, in full bloom.
Wow! the grandest fragrence!
Overwinter in greenhouse (no special light).
Began blooming in March. Placed pot on front porch for morning sun only which explains why it has few blooms and several dried leaves and vines.
I'll relocate to a new area where it gets more sun. Wondering Does this vine like to be pot bound? Will plant in ground as soon as I find accurate information on winter temperature tolerance.
Thank you, DG Family, for any information on when to tell if it needs larger pot? I'll check with County Agent about winter temperature adaptability.
Happy, productive Spring to All!

On Apr 9, 2005, nick89 from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Star jasmine is a tough, easy to grow evergreen vine. The flowers release wonderful fragrance on spring and summer evenings. It is fully hardy in north Alabama, suffering only minor branch tip damage. Some foliage still survived intact during an almost 8 degree freeze in the winter of 2002 to 2003.

On Mar 15, 2005, catguy from Phoenix, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

Mine has been in the ground for at least ten years in full shade and has taken that long to climb to the top of an 8 foot pillar. It's very luxurient but slow in the shade and am afraid to expose it to the desert sun. Blooms profusely in late March here in Phoenix.

On May 23, 2004, Mayahuel from Verona, WI wrote:

One of my most favorite things about living in South Carolina was the Jasmine and Wisteria. Being a Wisconsinite military wife, being able to experience this plant growing and blooming in the wild against my house was just wonderful.

Before I left to move back to the land of cows and Packers, I purchased a 2' specimen at the local nursery, and after surviving an exciting ride through 6 states, it is growing like mad on a trellis in front of my full length window.

I plan on putting it outside in the summer, and I am hoping it will do well inside when things get cold. For those of you who have overwintered it indoors, did you use plant lights or just let things go naturally?

On Apr 28, 2004, Cascade_Colonel from Portland, OR wrote:

Star Jasmine has one of the best fragrances of any plant. I highly recomend this plant. I do not believe some of the hardiness posts above, someone said they are only good to 40 degrees, that is simply not true. I live in Oregon and we get well below 40 degrees and the Star Jasmine does wonderful. If it was going to get in the 10's to low 20's, I would probably cover the jasmine with a plastic sheet for protection. The way I see it, the plant is so wonderful that you simply have to have it. if it gets killed by a freak storm, well, next spring go buy a new one. Have fun and enjoy the fragrance.

On Apr 13, 2004, DaraMV wrote:

I have several Star Jasmines in my yard and absolutely love them. This plant is very hardy here in So. California. It's drought tolerant too. Not terribly invasive like some other vines, but it can be somewhat fast growing once established.

The flowers are very fragrant. And it's a good scent that most will like, not at all displeasing. Star Jasmine has a very long blooming season. In So. California, from what I've observed, there are flowers on it from March until November.

Nothing bad to say about this plant except the it maybe toxic and the white sap can be irritating. So it's best to wear gloves when pruning or handling the plant.

On Apr 5, 2004, momx5 wrote:

I live in northwest Mississippi. It was very easy to grow and was beautiful. I did not know what to do during the winter months so I left it and am afraid to cut it back. I guess I will wait and see.

On Mar 14, 2004, phoenix52n wrote:

Every full moon, my Jasmine blooms. They are planted all around so that when windows are opened, the scent floats through the air - everywhere.

Easy to grow, but twines on EVERYTHING. Have to keep an eye on it, or it will latch itself all over.

On Jan 27, 2004, kviolette from Raleigh, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant has survived temperatures down to the low teens in the ground here in Raleigh, NC area when sheltered from the coldest north/northwest winds and with enough shade from the summer sun. Local nurseries/growers claim this is a zone 8 plant (10deg F) which appears to be true, especially after winter 2002/2003. Just wanted to add this since the confederate jasmine exhibits further cold hardiness than mentioned above.

Fabulous frangrance in May, just in time for Mother's Day. Glossy, mostly evergreen foliage with reddish hues in the winter. Vigorous grower but not invasive as other vines in our regions (most notably Wisteria sp.).

On Jan 25, 2004, gammy_ from Otis Orchards, WA wrote:

I purchased this plant in the spring of 2003 and transplanted into a larger pot for the deck - it was glorious and the scent was a nice addition to outdoor living. The growth was amazing. The Star Jasmine was brought into our sun room in September (only good to outdoor degrees of 30)and did well for a few months. I just gave it the second dose of systemic (January 2004) as the leaves have a great deal of sap. It still has not lost many leaves and if we can keep it going for about 2 more months it can again be outside where I am certain it will grow and bless us again with the wonderful scent. I see by the website and the people who have added information that Washington State is certainly not noted for this plant but would appreciate hearing from anyone with a success story from this regi... read more

On Jun 2, 2003, jimsgirl wrote:

This is a beautiful plant. I just started it on a copper arbor my husband built. The fragrance is wonderful.

On Apr 12, 2003, ranch45 from Interlachen, FL wrote:

I have lived here for more than two years now. Upon our arrival, this plant was growing wild (reaching into my livingroom window!!!) We did not know what it was, but decided to keep it as it looked so pretty. I cut it back to a more manageable size and it came back beautifully. I cover as much of it as I can in winter (since we do get a few hard freezes) and afterwards, I cut back what does not look good. By Spring, the growth amount is amazing and ready to burst with star shaped flowers. This is definetly a keeper for anyone who wants to cover a bald spot in the garden!

On Apr 11, 2003, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant behaves itself and does pretty much what the gardner wants it to do. It also grows fairly fast and, as my pictures show, attaches itself to unpainted wood. I have had poor experience trying to grow it on painted columns on my front porch--although, for those of you in zone 10, the vanilla bean orchid will attach to the painted surface of the columns.

On Apr 2, 2003, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant can also be grown as a low-growing groundcover shrub. It is often used in commercial plantings for an evergreen, easy-to-care-for hedge or 2'T groundcover.

On Jul 17, 2002, haighr from Laurel, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I live in Zone 6 and have to keep my star jasmine inside during winter as it is not hardy below 40 degrees. It has been thriving here for 4 years and blooms every summer when outside. The fragrance is wonderful. Had a bout of mealy bugs last year. I treated with alcohol spray, but to no avail all the leaves fell off. I used a systemic treatment which cleared it up and it came back full force!