Dutchman's Pipe, Broadleafed Birthwort
Aristolochia macrophylla

Family: Aristolochiaceae
Genus: Aristolochia (a-ris-toh-LOH-kee-uh) (Info)
Species: macrophylla (mak-roh-FIL-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Aristolochia durior

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

Charlotte, Vermont

Leesburg, Virginia

On May 28, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This woody twining vine was once commonly used in New England for screening front porches. The big tropical leaves overlap like shingles and are quite attractive. The flowers are small and inconspicuous.

In Z4 and south, it does not die back to the ground in winter.

It is vigorous and a bit rambunctious here. Care is needed in placing it, as it can strangle other plants. I believe that in New England, it was usually grown up strings. I suspect that it can damage trellis and other wooden structures if it's allowed to twine about them. (This seems to be happening on one of the properties I maintain.)

I'm familiar with Massachusetts' native flora, but I've never encountered this species in the wild. In Maryland, in the middle of its range, it's bee... read more

On May 27, 2015, negutron from Barker Heights, NC wrote:

Someone here posted that it contained antitumor compound aristolochic acid. According to wikipedia, despite Aristolochiacea plants in Chinese herbal medicine, the compount aristolochic acid is carcinogenic, mutagenic and nephrotoxic. I think there are safer things to use for cancer, like green tea or black cherry rootbark than this

[HYPERLINK@en.wikipedia.org]

Sorry to spam up this area with inappropriate herbal junk i just didn't want anyone to go making a decision on this plant thinking it was herbally useful. It may however be useful for repelling snakes.

On Jun 12, 2013, burien_gardener from Burien (SW Seattle), WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Wish it were as rambunctious as some claim it to be. Must be a climate thing, 'cuz here in Seattle my vine has barely reached 8 feet in 10 years and the beautiful leaves are sparse; there are a few flowers this year. Can't figure out why it won't cover my deck roof...!

On Feb 13, 2013, LarryROlson from Moreland, GA wrote:

I am thrilled to have this plant in my garden! Since then, I have enjoyed a constant parade of one of the most beautiful butterflies on planet Earth in my yard. I don't think I ever saw them before I planted it.

I'm going to try some different pipevine species in the future to see who will do the best in my area, and provide even more food for these regal aerial acrobats.

On Aug 1, 2010, cam2 from Houston, TX wrote:

I have had this plant for 3 years; it grows nicely, but has never bloomed for me.

On Sep 23, 2009, NancyMcD from Grand Marais, MI wrote:

This gorgeous plant makes wonderful tropical-looking foliage that absolutely solidly covers what it's growing on. This is fine in the right place. HOWEVER, be very careful where you plant it. Ten years ago I foolishly planted it within six feet of other perennial climbers, and failed to keep a close enough eye on it. It romped right over its neighbors and killed them, and started to eat a six-foot shrub rose. Now I'm struggling to get rid of it. We never saw pipevine swallowtails on ours, or I'd find a way to live with it. It is lovely, with its overlapping heart-shaped leaves, and worth growing if you have a good spot for it. The bottom line: Think twice, even three times, about siting before you plant this.

On May 18, 2009, tabasco from Cincinnati (Anderson Twp), OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This particular Pipevine, Aristolochia macrophylla, is commonly found in semi-wooded areas growing up trees here in the midwest and east.

Aristolochia macrophylla serves as one of two pipevine host plants for the Pipevine Swallotail, Battus philenor, in our midwest region. (The other is Aristolochia serpentaria, Virginia Snakewort.)

According to some sources, the Pipevine swallowtail population has diminished since much of the naturally growing aristolochias have been destroyed by development. Thus an effort has been launched to encourage planting of pipevine host plants to forestall continued depletion.

We have this vine in our woods and it is easy to grow. It's a pleasure to have the pv swallowtails visiting our flower garden in the sum... read more

On Jan 24, 2008, NoLawns from Warrenville, IL wrote:

Foliage looks weedy, good for screening... Never seen a flower on it. Any thoughts?

On Jan 22, 2005, JodyC from Palmyra, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

It contains the antiseptic,antitumor compound aristolochic acid.

On Feb 24, 2003, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

A. macrophylla is generally grown for its ability to grow fast, climb, and create shade or privacy to an area. It dies down each winter and returns in spring. The leaves are heart-shaped with a rough texture. The flowers are insignifcant, a brownish and cream color, and resemble a Meerschaum pipe. They have a strange, but not unpleasant odor and are attractive to the Pipe Vine Swallow. This plant can grow up to 18 inches per year, and a strong trellis is needed.