PlantFiles: Sacred Jasmine, Pikake, Asiatic Jasmine
Jasminum sambac 'Grand Duke of Tuscany'

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Jasminum (JAZ-mih-num) (Info)
Species: sambac (SAM-bak) (Info)
Cultivar: Grand Duke of Tuscany
Additional cultivar information: (aka Flore Plena)

Synonym:Nyctanthes sambac

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By simple layering

Thumbnail #6 of Jasminum sambac by SpaceCase418

By SpaceCase418
Thumbnail #7 of Jasminum sambac by SpaceCase418

Positive NikiTB On Jul 16, 2014, NikiTB from Des Allemands, LA wrote:

I have been having this plant since probably 2007 and never knew the name. It was passed down to me from my grandfather, who received it from his mother sometime in the early 1980's. He did not know the name either. When my great-grandmother had it, it was planted in the ground. My grandfather dug it up when she passed away and had it in a pot for over 20 years. It would die off in the winter and come back every spring. I have transplanted it three times into larger pots. It normally dies off only when we have a really cold winter in South Louisiana, otherwise it flourishes. I have debated planting it in the ground, but I am afraid grubs will eat the roots. I have noticed that the flowers turn brown if touched by human hands therefore, it is probably best not to touch them if you want them to be pretty and fragrant. After the harsh winter we had this past winter, I lost the entire plant. I cut back all of the dead branches and applied root stimulator to the soil hoping that it would come back. After a few weeks, I began to see small bits of green surfacing. I have two larger plant and another small one just establishing itself, therefore, if I am going to break it up, now is the time. For those living in the southern region, this is an excellent addition to your plants! It is very fragrant, and extremely easy. I just water and let it grow on it's own. I have done nothing other than fertilize when I fertilize my other plants and make sure I water it at least once a week. Super simple. Considering this plant has been around for over 35 years, that I know of for sure, I would say it is an easy addition.

Positive careyana On Jul 3, 2011, careyana from (Carey) Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Picked this up as a young plant from a local nursery last summer. Bloomed a couple of times. Kept well-protected on our back porch through a severe winter (for central Texas) of several days in the 20s. It was the last frost in late spring that killed off the top plant. Kept water it in hopes it would recover...and it is now larger than last year, putting out blooms again. LOVE this plant, the beautiful foliage and those half-dollar sized heavenly-scented blooms. So glad it made it!

Positive SpaceCase418 On Apr 10, 2011, SpaceCase418 from Annapolis, MD wrote:

this is quickly becoming one of my favorite plants. mine has endured a nasty cold journey from its nursery in Florida where it was covered in mold. it dropped all its leaves and then made a full recovery! now my entire room smells wonderful from its first display!

Positive Danasplants On Feb 22, 2010, Danasplants from Mulberry, FL wrote:

The scent of this plant is heavenly it blooms all summer long with little care.

Positive Vmoana On Jul 26, 2009, Vmoana from Royal Oak, MI wrote:

I was amazed & glad to find this in a nursery up here in Michigan. It loves our summertime weather, there are a ton of flowers and do they ever smell great! I will just have to cut it back hard in the fall to be able to bring it indoors. If it makes the winter I will report back.

I grew up in Hawaii and we had a hedge (6-8 plants) of this 'pikake' along the sidewalk. My parents started the hedge with cuttings taken from my grandparent's home in Honolulu. Having this plant on my back patio is like having back a piece of my childhood.

Positive astcgirl On Apr 6, 2009, astcgirl from Brandon, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a wonderful plant, every spring it starts putting out big blobs of blooms....if I sit out on the lanai in the evening I can smell it in the humid air. It's has a strange growing habit and sends up long canes, it doesn't really attach itself to anything but the canes are so long i can intertwine them on my arbor. Not the tidiest looking plant but I don't have the heart to trim as I want as many blooms as I can get. The scent is wonderful, strong but not overpowering, so much that you just can't help but stop by and sniff when you pass it. One of my favorite's in my "fragrant garden". I have it in afternoon sun in a large pot. I also have another smaller one in the ground in my front garden. One odd thing I did notice last year is that I found something that resembled a seed pod, it had two black pods attached together. I have never heard that this plant has seeds, and the birds got it while I was waiting for it to dry. Hopefully this year I will get another one and see if it was in actual fact a seed. I have been able to root this plant easily for friends by sticking in moist soil and either covering in a baggy or keeping moist.

Negative sylvainyang On Sep 14, 2005, sylvainyang from Edmond, OK wrote:

I planted this Jamsmine in Canton of China. It is a very spoil plant. It does not bloom that easy. The flower but easily die and dry out before they bloom. You can barely find a couple
of flower buds in the bloom season.

It is a hard to find plant. The simple version of the Asian Jasmines are bloom like Hybrid.

Positive sv On Apr 2, 2003, sv wrote:

I planted this Jasmine in 1996 in my garden in St. Petersburg, FL (zone 9b). It is in front of my porch on the NE corner of the house. It gets a bit of morning sun, but it is quite filtered by the neighbor's tall oaks and my Crape Myrtle. I wove the branches through the porch railings as they grew, but now I see that I'll have to pull out a lot of it because it's starting to over-run a lot of other things. It grows upright to about 3 or 4 feet, then cascades and grows outward, running along the ground and rooting at various intervals. The blossoms are just now opening, and my porch will be enveloped in a heavenly scent for a good long blooming period. The soil must be acid because of all the oak leaves. It is quite rich also. I rarely fertilize, and the only water it gets is from the rain, which is usually a lot in the summer, but can be drought-like from September through May. A brief freeze this winter that wiped out my basil and defoliated the Jatropha didn't faze this Jasmine.

Glendale, Arizona