PlantFiles: Sacred Jasmine, Pikake, Asiatic Jasmine
Jasminum sambac 'Maid of Orleans'

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Jasminum (JAZ-mih-num) (Info)
Species: sambac (SAM-bak) (Info)
Cultivar: Maid of Orleans

Thumbnail #6 of Jasminum sambac by Thaumaturgist

By Thaumaturgist
Thumbnail #7 of Jasminum sambac by Thaumaturgist

Positive citygrower On Oct 24, 2011, citygrower from New York, NY wrote:

I've been growing this plant on a southern windowsill in Manhattan for three and a half years. My apartment is bone dry and I only have direct light for a part of the day, plus have slightly tinted glass, but this plant still flowers for me on and off all year. This past year it began having trouble with leaves yellowing a bit so I've repotted and will wait and see how it does. I agree that the flowers don't give off strong enough fragrance to scent a room, but they do smell wonderful from nearby and the flowers are really beautiful. Especially here in NYC a thrill to have a blooming little tree on my windowsill!

Positive RayFromPA On Apr 19, 2011, RayFromPA from Fleetwood, PA wrote:

I bought one of these about 6 months ago as a windowsill plant. It was doing fine for a while, but then the leaves started turning yellow and brown, even with 4 - 5 hours of morning Winter sun. I did some research and made some changes. First, since they like humidity, I set it on a deep plastic tray filled with gravel, and always keep that gravel wet. The water evaporation provides humidity for the plant, and it actually flowered for the first time right after I did this. Then I switched to distilled water. Finally, I started using a Rhododendron fertilizer once a month with a tbsp of vinegar per gallon of water. It all seems to have worked because the leaves are now deep green and it's sending out new shoots and buds everywhere.

I've read to use Miracid since they like acidity, but I tried what I had and so far it's worked. I also read African Violet fertilizer is good for them as well, but when I used that it didn't seem to make a difference.

Positive brngroba On Nov 11, 2010, brngroba from Coastal Texas, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

Purchased 3 plants at Lowe's account fragrance. Left in pots on patio 1st year then planted 2 by garage with morning sun and 1 in the open with little protection from sun until late afternoon. All 3 survived this past summer well plus snow last winter with only a cover thrown directly over them. This summer they sent out branches radiating over the ground. Am trying to train to grow on fence and trellis without much luck. The branches on ground have a mind of their own and may cut those. This summer, fewer blooms, less fragrance. But all 3 are healthy and beautiful. At one year in ground they're about 30" across and 25-30" tall. The one with more sun is fuller. All look more like 'mounding' shrubs than climbers at this time. But whatever they turn out to be, the gulf coast is great for this plant.

Positive Darmananda On Jun 14, 2010, Darmananda from New Iberia, LA wrote:

I am keeping mine indoors right next to a glass wall where it gets bright defused sunlight plus the heat from the sun. I also keep the ceiling fan on low all day long for air circulation, only turning it off at night. I mail ordered mine, planted in a cool pot, and it started showing new growth within a week, so I know it is happy. There's only one thing though, and no one has yet mentioned this anywhere as far as I know. The buds open at dusk and the flowers fall off late morning/early afternoon the next day, which makes mine nocturnal flowers. Is it normal? I'm not against nocturnal flowers, I just think it is odd that no one has mentioned it about it having its buds opening at dusk, not dawn. Thank you.

Positive Dodsky On Oct 1, 2008, Dodsky from Smiths Grove, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grow this jasmine as a houseplant from late fall through early spring, and then move it outside to a mostly sunny location where it gets some protection from the sun during the hottest part of the afternoon. It's a vigorous grower and has very pretty, glossy foliage. The white flowers are abundant and smell wonderful but are not so pungent that they are (in my opinion) overpowering. As a houseplant it is a bit on the messy side due to leaf drop in mid to late winter, but the occasional flushes of blooms it puts out offset its messinesss.

I have found Maid of Orleans is prone to spider mites when indoors so I usually have to rinse it off every 3-4 weeks, or if the mites get out of control I may have to spray the plant with a rotenone/pyrethrin insecticide.

I strongly suggest you DO NOT spray this plant with oil-based sprays (such as Ultrafine light dormant oil, canola-based insecticidal sprays, sesame oil based sprays, etc.). I have tried several types of oil-based insecticides/light dormant oils in my attempts to keep the mites in check. The oil-based sprays may help control the mites for a while but they severely damage the leaf and stem tissues causing defoliation and branch die-back.

Neutral princeali123456 On May 4, 2008, princeali123456 from Boyds, MD wrote:

I bought a potted Asiatic Jasmine about 5 years ago. Always kept it indoors and never took it outside. It grew and flowered like crazy for 3 years!! I love the smell of the flowers. It flowers year around but much more in the summer. A couple of years ago I got too greedy and added some of those plant food sticks (Possibly the wrong kind) hoping to get more flowers! I got the opposite effect. It had not flowered much since. Still grows GREAT and looks very HEALTHY but very minimal flowering. I transferred to a bigger pot and shook off most of the old soil last summer but to no avail. Still grows very well but now flowering! Can someone help me??

Thank you!

You can e-mail me at amohamed64@verizon.net

Positive Lily_love On May 20, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

A friend of mine said that this vine is the official flower of the Philippine. I've this vine growing in pots, and overwintered indoors. Beautiful fragrant. Easy care.

Positive Dinu On May 10, 2007, Dinu from Mysore
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

We love to grow this as a shrub or as a climber needing support all the way. Though it blooms for a short period once or twice in the year profusely, it is worth growing one in the garden. Its fragrance is something lovely. "Mysore Mallige"(for this Jasmine) is a typical name that goes around for its special fragrance. Ladies adorn a small chain of them behind their head for decoration - also it is known to ward of lices! The smell fills the room. Not for nothing it is known to have romantic links. It is also used in worship to God.

Neutral SusieQ_TX On Mar 24, 2007, SusieQ_TX from Harlingen, TX wrote:

I don't think it is as fragrant or as pretty as my Confederate Jasmine. The leaves don't stay as nice or have that glossy look. It has thick stems and that makes it harder to thread thru the lattice. Also, in the hottest sunniest places, it is not thriving. I think this far south, it needs partial shade. I'm just a few miles north of the lady from South Padre. I planted 8 plants and one died from the heat, and after 2 years, one is still struggling. The others have at least some protection from the sun and have taken off. One has climbed 10 feet.

Positive BayAreaTropics On Feb 19, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I agree that this plant is far hardier than the rating.Mine took a week of freezing nights (more or less) this year.It never defoliated. This will be its second summer in ground and i think it is true they take a while to establish.Mine looks better now in late winter then it did last spring-its now got a strong root system.
And they dont need a hot summer climate to bloom.Mine bloomed the most brilliant white flowers i have ever seen. Fertilizing is required..I'm still working out whats best. From what i can tell,in the bay area there is no worry that it will become a rampant vine. Try it.
The Philippines national flower.

Positive TXMel On Aug 31, 2006, TXMel from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

Living in north Texas, I was surprised that this plant has come back. I planted it 5 years ago as a 1 gallon plant, and it struggled, but came back late each spring. Last year it did much better, but this year is the best yet. The plant is over 3 ft tall, I do not prune it, nor give it excess water. It seems to have adapted to its spot. I collect fallen flowers each evening and float them in a bowl of water, letting the aroma fill the room! I am happy to get another one and try my luck indoor!

Positive ohandy On Jul 28, 2006, ohandy from North Little Rock, AR wrote:

Overwintered 3 plants in my greenhouse last year with the thermostat set on 40 degrees. They all pulled through just fine! The one that I have in an elevated urn on the shady area of my patio has put out 3 trailing vines, about 5 feet long. Each of the vines are flowering nicely. I have discovered that using a balanced fertilizer on a regular basis greatly enhances the success of this plant. I also have white vinca periwinkle and variegated white and pink coleus in the urn with the jasmine. Makes a beautiful display. I will try to grow the jasmine as a house plant this winter. I like the idea of decorating my house with it's wonderful scent!
cstark, north little rock, arkansas

Positive knolan On May 29, 2006, knolan from Sugar Land, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Planted (two plants) 4 years ago in my front yard and it only received morning sun. Transplanted to the back with afternoon sun, pruned severely and they are now full, tall 5' and about 4' in circumference. Full of bloooms. Drought tolerant. A good plant for someone who doesn't have a lot of time to care for their plants. I plan to place a trellis behind them and allow to vine. I've always cust the branches that were wayward and it has made a beautiful shrub but I'd like to see how well it will vine.

Neutral eakinney On May 4, 2006, eakinney from Charlotte, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I planted my jasmine last spring and it looked great all summer and fall, healthy green leaves and lots of blooms. At some point this winter (which was warmer than normal in the Southern Piedmont of NC) it turned completely brown. I waited, hoping for a sign of life, but nothing. My husband cut off the dead twigs 6 weeks ago and I pronounced it dead. This evening I noticed green growth popping up where the bush had been. Perhaps a resurrection is in progress??

Neutral KGrimes On Apr 20, 2006, KGrimes from Thomasboro, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

Smells WONDERFUL! Seems somewhat sensitive to light or heat changes. Yellowed and dropped leaves when moved outside this spring.

Positive Calalily On Mar 26, 2006, Calalily from Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant is much hardier than indicated above. It survived 26*F and didn't lose its leaves. The plant gets huge and blooms off and on all year round here. It can be pruned into a shrub or grown as a vine.
Where the vines touch the ground, they will root.

Positive zville123 On Mar 20, 2006, zville123 from Zanesville, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Extremely easy house plant. Mine is upright, not vining. Flowers are fragrant, although one does not perfume a room for me... as only one flower has opened at a time so far. It has had a consistant supply of buds over the winter. Beautiful green foliage. This will be my first summer to place it outside. I'm hoping it blooms better with more sun and humidity :~)

Positive PurplePansies On Sep 5, 2004, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is VERY EASY to grow as A HOUSEPLANT....... Flowers profusely in the summer if put outdoors and intermittently year round...... takes one flower to perfume a room....... delightful....... vining growth...... can be grown in a pot with a trellis......

Neutral Monocromatico On Apr 7, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

It seems to be fairly easily propagated by cuttings. I saw a short plant obtained this way bearing new flowers already.

Positive montanarose On Aug 13, 2003, montanarose from Saint Peters, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

Blooms year-round. Not cold hardy so transferred indoors in the middle of October. Extremely fragrant and very low maintenance.

Grenoble,
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Brea, California
Hayward, California
Hemet, California
La Jolla, California
Laguna Beach, California
Los Angeles, California (2 reports)
Mountain View, California
Wahiawa, Hawaii
Thomasboro, Illinois
Gonzales, Louisiana
Kenner, Louisiana
New Iberia, Louisiana (2 reports)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Crowley, Texas
Galveston, Texas
Harlingen, Texas
Los Fresnos, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Spring Branch, Texas