Bush Allamanda
Allamanda schottii

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Allamanda (al-uh-MAN-da) (Info)
Species: schottii (SHOT-ee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Allamanda neriifolia

Punta Gorda, Florida

Riverview, Florida

Ruskin, Florida

Sebring, Florida

Tampa, Florida (2 reports)

Vero Beach, Florida

La Porte, Texas

Longview, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

On Nov 24, 2009, justhappy from Huntington Beach, CA wrote:

I planted a bush allamanda several weeks ago in full sun. It is growing but the leaves appear to be burnt on the tips. Is this something caused by the cooler temperatures in Huntington Beach in Southern California. It had beautiful yellow flowers on it when I bought it and hasn't produced much lately.

On Oct 29, 2009, mariondern from Marianna, FL wrote:

I have recently purchased this plant and have it on the partially shaded deck. It dropped many leaves when I replanted in a very large pot, but now it has many new leaves growing up the stalks. I planned to bring this inside in January and February (Zone 8) when the temps get below 25 degrees F. I'm wondering if this can be planted outside in the ground to winter over. I'm rooting some branches so I can experiment in case no one has informantion. Any appreciated.

On Oct 16, 2009, Stratt from Carlsbad, CA wrote:

I've had great success with these using Gardenia fertilizer since Allamanda don't tolerate alkaline soils.

On Jun 9, 2009, jungleboy_fl from Naples, FL wrote:

For those who're having troubles with caterpillars on any plants, I suggest using a very effective, low-cost organic treatment- Thuricide (Bacillus thuringensis kurstaki). Thuricide is a product containing a friendly bacterium, which upon ingestion by a caterpillar, slowly kills the pest over a couple days. It is safe for use on all plant material, including vegetables. I've found that it takes several applications to totally rid your plants of the pests, but it does work well.

Caterpillars can be very destructive, and as stated by other reviewers, can do a lot of damage quite quickly. The best way to avoid major damage, is to be vigilant, and check the underside of the foliage regularly. Allamanda is a wonderful addition to the garden, and as with most ornamentals, jus... read more

On May 7, 2007, bsharf from Palm Coast, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very pretty, frost killed it nearly to ground, but it came back busier than before.

On Aug 31, 2005, snagglebuddy from Riverview, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Our allamanda is only a year old and it is now taller than our sago palm. I can't believe how much it has grown. It is a beautiful specimen and have had no trouble with it.

On Jan 29, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Allamanda schottii is native to Brazil. Mine has grown very quickly and bloomed constantly until about November. The blooms are about 2 inches long and appear from spring until fall depending upon the temperatures of the locale in which it is planted. Although it will grow in light shade to full sun, it blooms more in full sun. Mine is growing in a large container and I moved it into my greenhouse for the winter. It is putting on a lot of new growth now at the end of January. To encourage fullness and thus more blooms, hand prune the side and top growth when the plant is not in bloom. If it needs a hard trimming, it should be done in the summer. For optimum growth and blooms, it should be fertilized in March, June, and October. If starting from seed, the seeds need to be nicked and soaked ... read more

On Mar 17, 2004, Melba_Ga from Commerce, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

this plant is growing well here. Does anyone know how to plant the seeds after you open the spiny pod? Do you soak before planting & ect? the pods off my plant have lots of seed inside!

On Feb 27, 2003, ranch45 from Interlachen, FL wrote:

I love this plant as much as I love the mandavilla, having both planted in front of my kitchen window. As with the mandavilla, I have a problem with those caterpillar-like worms, that destroy the plant late in the season. If you know of a cure, please post in comments. Thank You once again!