PlantFiles: Sacred Jasmine, Asian Jasmine, Asiatic Jasmine, Pikake, Bungi, Melati
Jasminum sambac

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Jasminum (JAZ-mih-num) (Info)
Species: sambac (SAM-bak) (Info)

By simple layering

Thumbnail #6 of Jasminum sambac by Kim_M

By Dinu
Thumbnail #7 of Jasminum sambac by Dinu

Positive Promiseem On Jul 8, 2012, Promiseem from Quinby, SC wrote:

I truly like Jasmine Sambac,that's why i decided to grow my first Jasminum Sambac infront my porch facing SE,but because of the recent storm a week ago my Jasmine was slightly damage from the storm plus the heatwave,but am still very confident that this baby will still comeback.to relief my sadness,i decided to purchase another gallon of Jasmine from Lola's garden from Florida.right now i keep this plant from my other
room close to the window facing the same direction and try to avoid to stress the plants from heatwave and insects.although i seen some white spots that grow under the leaf,so i applied some remedy by cleaning the leaf with alcohol and water.sometimes i applied neem oil.i just avoid the strong light or high temperature that may burn the leaf from neem oil.so far i'm very happy and will pray that this will give me a lot of joy.

Positive william0509 On Jul 6, 2010, william0509 from Piscataway, NJ wrote:

Jasmine and Michelia are the most well-known fragrant plants in Southern China. I have 3 different cultivars of arabian jasmine. All of them are doing very well in the mid-summer, the Grand Duke of Tuscany opens its first flower under the extreme heat (105 F) with powerful fragrance. The single-flowered (Maid of Orleans) and doubled-flowered Jasmine make wonderful scented tea in China. It blooms with crape myrtles, roses, rose of sharon and hardy mums in my garden.

Negative thgardeningfool On Aug 26, 2009, thgardeningfool from Orlando, FL wrote:

I bought this plant, Pubescens Jasmine (Jasminum Multiflorum) & another, not pictured here, called Arabian Jasmine (Jasminum Sambac) last year at Lowes. Both are sweet looking plants and they bring brightness to our cooler weather months when not much else is blooming.

But, I had to dig both out for different reasons at the end of the year...and boy oh boy, did they ever come back with a vengeance!

I don't know about this plant's habit in other parts of the country, but here in Central Florida they are extremely aggressive. Let me say this again: EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE. I find myself pulling seedlings growing 8 feet from where there original plant was.

Worse part is that, although both are pretty and are low maintenance (yeah, um, just like weeds) their fragrance is not even worth the trouble. They actually smell a bit on the funky side to me.

Positive khabbab On Jul 13, 2009, khabbab from lahore
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

This plant is evergreen in lahore pakistan. It blooms all year except winter months. blooms heavily in rainy season. I needs partial sun and a bit more moisture like other jasmines. I have one in soil bed while other in clay pot. I fertilize both with rotten cow manure in rainy season. And i can count 50+ blooms same time on a small plant. Fragrance is very strong and reached at least few yards. Here we have two variants of this plant. One has light green ovate leaves which is Pakistani variety, has smaller blooms. While Indian variety called mogra has round dark green leaves, with lot more blooms bigger and more fragrant.

Positive Bairie On Jun 22, 2008, Bairie from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

Very adaptible; makes a good houseplant;grows in shade, sun and anything in between, but changing from one to the other needs to be done slowly; flowers can be used to flavor tea and other foods such as rice; beautiful scent.

Positive h94403 On May 5, 2008, h94403 from boyse, ID wrote:

I plan to cover a steep rocky hill with fragrant jasmine. Local nursery suggests Asian Jasmine; sold in 1 galon containers that would grow about 4 feet in each direction and at most two feet tall.

I like the suggestion but the description of Asian Jasmine on this site indicates 6-8' height. I don't have botanical name for the asian jasmine nursery suggested. Are there many variants? Which would be low height close to the ground?

Many thanks

Neutral mattadeus On Jan 14, 2006, mattadeus from London
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

The photo by Dinu is the clone known as 'Thai Beauty'

Positive MN_Darren On Sep 4, 2004, MN_Darren from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

What a wonderful plant. In St Paul, MN it's not possible to leave her outdoors for the winter, but I do haul her outside from May through September. In cold weather she's pretty happy in a South window. Mine blooms frequently--I would guess about 3 flushes during the warm weather outdoors and another 2-3 indoors during the cold weather. My only plant is now over ten years old in a 14" ceramic pot with good drainage. I root prune it every two years. The only important factor for cultivation that I notice is that a root bound, mature Jasmine Sambac needs a LOT of water, but cannot stand in water. Frequent watering is essential. When I put her outdoors, I raise the pot up and use no saucer beneath. I let it drain right out to the deck floor. Indoors, I am careful to never leave her standing in water. However, I do water water about 4-7 times a week. Yes, that's 4-7 times per week. She gets a lot of fertilizer too. If she dries out, she loses leaves and can get bug infested. I see that she's always happier in our humid summers than in our arid winters of nearly constant forced air furnace operation. However, with a bit of spring time pruning and about two weeks on the deck in a sunny location, she is soon lush and setting new blooms. Imagine plucking fresh jasmine flowers in January for a cup of hot tea while looking out a window at 15" of snow in -10F.

Propagation by cuttings is possible, but slow. I am thinking about trying rooting hormone next time.

Positive nanciromero On Mar 24, 2004, nanciromero from Po - Brasil
wrote:

This flower has a really delicious smell and can be used to prepare jasmin tea.

Positive mukhopus On Feb 15, 2004, mukhopus from roxbydowns
Australia wrote:

It is a very common flower in India.
It is known as "Beli".
Flower available in different sizes.
They are all white and all have sweet smell.

Neutral apprentice On Jul 27, 2003, apprentice from Pismo Beach, CA wrote:

I ordered four "baby" plants through a mail order catalog almost 1 1/2 years ago. I seemed to struggle with disease/mites on the leaves, which almost decimated the entire 4. So I made some homemade fungicide/pesticide (obtained from the web), and sprayed the leaves thoroughly. The plants survived the onslaught, but the leaves took on a sticky appearance & feeling, so I took 2 of the 4 plants outside--to get full sun, as was cited in this website. Disaster--I lost one plant, so I moved the remaining plant (still in its terracotta pot) to a semi-shaded area. Voila! the surviving plant flourished, producing healthier green leaves, and no sign of those troublesome mites! Haven't gotten any blossoms yet, although the vine is approx. 2 ft. tall...

Brea, California