Bow Tie Vine, Costa Rican Butterfly Vine, Purple Wings
Dalechampia dioscoreifolia

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dalechampia (dal-ay-SHOM-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: dioscoreifolia (di-oh-SKOR-ee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Blooms all year

Canoga Park, California

Chino Hills, California

Encinitas, California

Fallbrook, California (2 reports)

Huntington Beach, California

Vero Beach, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

Pepeekeo, Hawaii

Hominy, Oklahoma

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Edinburg, Texas

Galveston, Texas

Humble, Texas

San Felipe, Texas

On Apr 15, 2014, lesliev from San Diego, CA wrote:

This is a beautiful plant but can get kind of out of control. I'm also highly allergic to the vine, within seconds of touching it I'll have hives. I'm not usually allergic to plants so keep that in mind if you're thinking about planting this vine.

On Mar 31, 2013, TexasPuddyPrint from Edinburg, TX wrote:

I purchased a couple of these two years ago. The one receiving more sun is doing quite well. It blooms several times a year but this is the first year it has seeds! I havent tried to plant any yet though.

Am growing this vine as it is supposed to be the larval host for butterflies of the Cracker family. We get the Gray and Guatemalan species here.

On Jul 19, 2011, hoosierquilt from Vista, CA wrote:

Very interesting vine. The purple "flowers" are actually specialized bracts. This vine will do much better with adequate water. Is not drought tolerant. Will look much more robust with ample water, and will bloom more prolifically and blooms will be more intensely colored with lots of water. Likes a combo of sun and shade. My vine is deciduous if the temps really drop, dropping its leaves in the winter. Has recovered from temps in the high 20's. Is in the Euphorbiaceae family, so the sap may irritate the skin, and all parts of this plant are poisonous.

On Oct 3, 2010, luciemom from Chino Hills, CA wrote:

We just brought this home today from Lowe's and I was holding onto it to keep it from falling over, and by the time we got home, my arm was itchy and sore. Anyone else have an allergic reaction to it? I love it and don't care, but was pretty surprised!

On May 29, 2010, katiegeorge7 from Rancho Cordova, CA wrote:

I just bought 2 of these vines at Lowe's, 95670. They were in 3 gallon containers with a little trellis. I came here to find out more about them.

On Jun 28, 2006, pforrester from Fallbrook, CA wrote:

I saw this plant growing at my neighbor's house and took cuttings from it. It is beautiful and the tiny flower is very complex and unusual. It looks like there are three little red hearts a brown round part topped by a circle looking a bit like an eye and then several yellow projections I can't remember their shape, probably stamens. The purple bracts are showy but the flower needs to be seen up close to appreciate it.

On May 19, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

The flowers are not nearly as showy as the two surrounding fuchsia-purple bracts that measure 2-3 inches wide and long with serrated margins and prominent veins. These "flowers", looking like purple butterflies appear nearly year round with peak bloom from summer through fall. Plant in full sun to medium shade and water moderately. Blooms less and is less vigorous when kept dry.

On May 13, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a new plant to us with a most unusual flower. It is one of the few things that will bloom in the shade.

Edit: After growing it for a while, it will flower much better with moderate sunshine. It is not a lover of full shade. Needs irrigation, too.

On Aug 11, 2003, Terry1972 wrote:

I have been looking for the name of this vine since I have found it growing in Los Angeles at the Getty Musuem.