PlantFiles: Corkscrew Rush, Twisted Arrows
Juncus effusus f. spiralis

Family: Juncaceae
Genus: Juncus (JUN-kus) (Info)
Species: effusus f. spiralis
Additional cultivar information: (aka Spiralis)

Synonym:Juncus effusus
Synonym:Juncus filiformis

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo
Ponds and Aquatics

Inconspicuous/none

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

By MotherNature4

Thumbnail #6 of Juncus effusus f. spiralis by Dacooolest

By jnana
Thumbnail #7 of Juncus effusus f. spiralis by jnana

Positive tamphree On Feb 13, 2014, tamphree from Northlake, SC wrote:

i purchased this plant 8 years ago, also with no care instrucions included. After unsuccessfully trying to grow this plant in my pot w/holes in full shade, I decided to plant it in the ground w/full sun-partial shade. Unfortunately the plant seemed to just die. Fast forward 8 years to a very unusually rainy summer in 2013. I was pulling weeds from my garden when i noticed a very small clump of curly green stuff. Continued to deweed and found literally 1000's of tiny curly clumps. Every-other-day for a month i was repotting curly juncus'. Since technology had advanced so much i decided to google about the curly plant. This is where i learned the name of & how to care for that mysteriously beautiful plant I knew nothing about in 2005.

Positive andrea25sw On Mar 2, 2013, andrea25sw from New Braunfels, TX wrote:

I was at Lowe's today and purchased 6 potted corkscrew rush plants, but the stems were straight. I asked someone there if they would curl to create the corkscrew and he said yes, although I'm not sure I believe him now...Can someone tell me if the stems are straight for part of their growth?? I always assumed new growth would also be curled.

Positive Daves_sister On Jul 16, 2012, Daves_sister from Galway
Ireland wrote:

someone above said they killed theirs. Don't throw it out just yet. Mine has come back from the brink a few times due to neglect (no water at all for weeks during a hard frost). It looked dead for a few months, but I left it under a leaking gutter and it eventually started to revive. This is a very forgiving plant!
Also a tiny seeling started to grow in a bare crack in the pavement nearby, so I would imagine that growing from seed would be super easy.
I had no label for mine either. I figured out it likes water, sun and slightly acid soil... But a pond plant? I'm going out to plunge it into a bucket of water right now. thanks for sharing!

Positive rebekb On Jan 28, 2012, rebekb from Foxborough, MA wrote:

I bought this at a local nursery. It said full sunlight, but it was such a neat plant I thought I'd try it in my sun-challenged apartment. Initially it died back quite a bit, even though it is in my sunniest window. I've worked harder since to make sure it is boggy, and I added a dayspot grow light to compensate for the lack of light in the winter. The grow light is on a few hours in the late afternoon, about six inches from the plant - and it loves it. It's exploded in growth since getting that extra "hit" of light.

Positive Gabrielle On Jul 14, 2011, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Nice for a variation in texture in the garden. Definitely interesting. Blooms in May-June in my garden, but they are insignificant.

Neutral mjillhjp On Apr 4, 2011, mjillhjp from Houston, TX wrote:

Hi ya'll. This is a first for me. I was in Bentonville, AR. two weeks ago, when I first saw this plant. I almost bought it for my daughter's garden. Since returning to Houston, I purchased several at Houston Plant and Garden just yesterday. I'm grateful for the posts shared here, since I did not have a clue as to the care of this plant. The tag is not helpful. Looking for a lovely, fun and conversation evoking experience. My grandkids are moving to New Orleans. Thinking they can have fun with a plant of their own.

Neutral tree_ee On Nov 21, 2010, tree_ee from Brenham, TX wrote:

I, too, bought mine (on impulse) at Lowes. The care instructions--specifically for Juncus effusus 'Spiralis'--say "Water usage: Low, once established."

I'd never have bought them if I'd known they're pond plants, since I try to avoid the water-hogs. They sure _look_ like succulents . . .

Positive tasson On Sep 5, 2010, tasson from New Kensington, PA wrote:

I didn't know this was a pond plant and put it in my shade garden. I watered it a few times after I planted it but stopped once it looked like it was established. It got through winter with a lot of deep snow and has done well again this summer - even 'blooming' with insignificant flowers. I just recently found out it is a pond plant and since I have a pond I am going to move it. This will be a good test since it is near fall and will have to survive the shock of moving and the test of winter in the pond. If it doesn't make it I will definitely get another as I really like the look of this. The corkscrews make it a real eyecatcher.

Positive allgr8dogs On Aug 25, 2009, allgr8dogs from Phoenix, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

I float mine in my pond by using styrofoam rings that hold the upper 3" of the pot out of water. I have one in my classroom in an African Violet pot (just set the plant pot in the upper part of the African Violet pot with water). My students' really enjoy the unique look of this plant, and I also enjoy it in my pond.

Neutral vossner On Jul 16, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I was told by an owner of nursery specializing in aquatic plants that the crown cannot be below water b/c it will rot. I didn't know that tidbit at the time and mine died.

Positive greenjulia On Dec 26, 2008, greenjulia from Birmingham, AL wrote:

I bought 2 of these plants in the summer at a local Lowe's - they were on clearance for $1 each (gallon pots) since they had been allowed to dry out and were looking pretty bad. I keep them very wet and trimmed off all of the dead foliage and now both plants are thriving. I am considering placing the plastic pot in a more decorative container without drainage holes to keep the soil more moist.

Positive Sharlamatlock On Jan 11, 2008, Sharlamatlock from St. Louis, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I potted this plant in potting soil, then filled the bottom of a seperate container with rocks and covered the rocks with water. I submerged the bottom part of the plant into the water, only about 1/3 of the way though. I divided the original plant once, gave half away, and divided the second half again. I have one half (pictured) in the front yard in full sun most of the day and it seems to love it. I have the other half on my back patio with bright, indirect morning sun and afternoon shade. Both plants are thriving. Also, the roots grow like mad. It needs to be trimmed or repotted pretty often. It is one of my favorites.

Positive GeorgiaJo On Jul 23, 2006, GeorgiaJo from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

We have it in a floating "island" in our little goldfish pond. It has grown so vigorously (fish-fertilizer and submerged roots) that we have had to trim the roots several times. Now even that isn't enough (after maybe 5 months of growth) and I have to divide it. Will try to plant some in a boggy area or a bog-pot and see if it does as well out of the water as it does in.

Positive bekron On May 11, 2006, bekron from Crowley, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have had this plant for a few months and have it in a large pot in full sun, the pot does not drain and I water it every day and it is very happy! I do not know yet how it will do in the HOT Texas summer. If it starts to show signs of damage I will create some sort of a bog for it. But as for now it is getting greener and larger and thicker at the bottom.

Positive RonniePitman On Apr 27, 2006, RonniePitman wrote:

My corkscrew rush struggled along for months, yellowish and unhealthy looking. I learned that it likes lots of water, so I watered it more, to little effect. Finally I put it in a plastic nursery pot with no drainage, put some gravel on top of the soil, and submerged that pot in a larger pot of water. The water level is just above the gravel and now the plant is starting to look green and vigorous.

Positive WUVIE On Apr 15, 2006, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

A newbie to the Corkscrew myself, I learned just
in time to provide more water for my new plant before
it was too late. I swear, the corkscrews were trying
to form the letters "N E E D W A T E R".

Once I began keeping it wet or in water, it
thrived. I just love this little cutie!

Neutral JaxFlaGardener On Dec 24, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I was fascinated by this plant when I saw it for the first time in a local nursery that tends to carry some unusual plants. I had to have one! and brought it home and put it in my garden. Unfortunately, the plant did not come with any care instructions and it died, probably because I didn't provide enough water. I have a slim hope that there might be some life left in the rootstock that will regenerate some growth.

If I come by one of these plants again, I'll keep it in a pot and keep it wet (based on what I've read in the comments above). It is a real conversation piece and very attractive, I think.

Jeremy

Positive CatskillKarma On Jun 12, 2004, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

Not sure this is the cultivar--mine came from an informal sale without a label, but it is growing vigorously outdoors in a container without a drainage hole and overwintered successfully in a heavily mulched plastic pot. It was very cold last winter--several nights went below -20F. Contrary to the description above, it is currently flowering--small brown inflorescences up and down the stem. Very entertaining plant. Curly, vigorous, and charming.

Positive Terry On Mar 1, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Plant in the shallow end of your pond, or on a shelf - it should be only 1-6" deep in the water.

Smiths, Alabama
West Kill, New York
Cleveland, Ohio
Dayton, Ohio
Westerville, Ohio
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (2 reports)
Spring Grove, Pennsylvania
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
Greenville, South Carolina
Greenwood, South Carolina
Colleyville, Texas
Crowley, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
New Braunfels, Texas