PlantFiles: Corkscrew Rush
Juncus decipiens 'Curly Wurly'

Family: Juncaceae
Genus: Juncus (JUN-kus) (Info)
Species: decipiens (de-SIP-ee-enz) (Info)
Cultivar: Curly Wurly

Synonym:Juncus effusus var. decipiens

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo
Ponds and Aquatics

By revclaus
Thumbnail #1 of Juncus decipiens by revclaus

Positive m3lis5a On Dec 12, 2010, m3lis5a from Euless, TX wrote:

I've been keeping this plant for over three years now. I use non-terracotta pots that are over 12 inches and window boxes. I've been able to winter it over outside without a problem. The August heat does hit it hard but I like the shiny, bright green contrasting with the brown curls late in the season and it has come back each following spring. It's fun and a nice visual treat between bedding flowers.

I use neem cake in my potting soil at around 6%, I feed once a month with an algae based fertilizer and don't let the soil go completely dry. This year, I'm going to plant it along the garage wall as I've noticed the yard getting a little soggy there. I love this plant for areas with minor drainage issues! I haven't used it in a pond but might when the water feature is added this summer.

I originally bought this at a home improvement store off of the ground cover table. I think it was $4. From that little pot, I've had around a dozen 12in.-18in. full, 10 inch wide plants. So far, I've found it to be resistant to insects. (I only started adding neem in the past twelve months.) It grows like crazy and I usually divide it in the early spring and get it started with fertilizer and neem mixed in.

Positive greyma On May 30, 2008, greyma from Mukwonago, WI wrote:

got it from the local garden store cuz it's so interesting. the people on duty that day didn't know what it was or how to take care of it, it was a late season left over and all tags were gone. had it in a partial sun spot last fall and it did well and over wintered ( tough winter) well. found out it could go in water and put it in my container water garden this spring, but not sure it likes it there better, only a couple weeks now, we'll see.

Positive smeisha On Jun 22, 2007, smeisha from New Britain, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I starting using this plant in my window boxes. It provides height and an extremely interesting background for the all the flowers. I brought it inside last year and it weathered over fine. Pretty versatile for an "aquatic" plant

Negative dorisb777 On Aug 18, 2004, dorisb777 from Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have no idea what I do to kill this desirable plant. I've had two die on me so far; they were in my pond submerged to pot top. Planted them in the clay based water plant soil in preforated pots and put in shady spots.
They croak in no time. pH? Fish? Everything else is doing well. (almost!) Any ideas? Thanks, dorisb777

Positive lupinelover On Jun 22, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have 'Curly Wurly' (corkscrew rush). Too cool! Grows potted in a water garden, partially shaded by other plants. I can see how it could be invasive in tropical climates, but wonderful plant confined.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama