Calamondin Orange, Panama Orange, Calamansi

Citrus mitis

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Citrus (SIT-rus) (Info)
Species: mitis (MIT-iss) (Info)
Synonym:X Citrofortunella mitis
Synonym:X Citrofortunella microcarpa
Synonym:Citrus madurensis

Edible Fruits and Nuts

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

By grafting

By air layering

Opelika, Alabama

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Kennedy, California

Mission, Texas

Salado, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

On Sep 6, 2015, amwisner from Clearwater, FL wrote:

Jwhdrk1, try bonsai techniques to properly cut the roots to keep healthy in a small pot and produce some flowers and fruit.

On May 5, 2015, Jwhdrk1 from Norcross, GA wrote:

I've had mine in a large pot for over 10 years. I'm sure it's root bound but putting it into anything larger isn't an option for me because I can barely manage to lift it now. I put it outside Spring thru Fall and in front of a sunny window I the Winter. It used to flower quite a bit but for some reason it seems to just be growing leaves the last three years. Any suggestions on how I can get it to start producing blossoms again?

On Jul 3, 2014, Aquias from North Fork, CA wrote:

I live in zone 9a and this plant does quite well. It takes the heat as well as the cold. Last winter we had a hard freeze that dipped into the teens, I only lost one branch. This is the dirst year that fruit has developed, so I am waiting to see how they will taste.

On Jun 1, 2014, MarilouPacia from San Fernando,Pampanga
Philippines wrote:

Here in the Philippines, calamansi, as we call it, is a staple on the dining table. We mix it with soy sauce to use as dip for grilled fish.., is our substitute for lemon in the kitchen..we also use it in the laundryroom...if u get rust on clothes just squeeze some juice on it then leave under the sun

On Jun 15, 2013, pastapicker from Columbus, OH wrote:

This is not an orange although it is often sold as one. Like all citrus, the fruit is slow to ripen. I usually find that it sets fruit twice each year. It does well overwintering indoors in Ohio, in front of a south window; my house is rather cool at night (~60F) which citrus does like. Don't overwater, the soil needs to be loose and well draining and allowed to become a bit dry between watering. Usually for me that means watering well, but just once per week, in the winter. The whole fruit makes really good marmalade as the peels are sweet like kumquats but the flesh is tart like lemon.

On Jan 9, 2013, Mlooska from Bushnell, FL wrote:

I have about 6 of these trees @ my place they have been here since I moved here >25 yrs ago. I never knew what they were until today. The trees are very large, loaded with fruit & my grand-kids love picking the fruit, they peel easy, chew them up a little while & they sometimes make juice from them (with sugar added of course). I don't care for them as they are very sour. I must have hundreds of fruit on all the trees. I thought they were just a wild orange ? There are also a lot of small trees (6" tall) growing around the larger ones. Maybe I should dig some up & pot them. I will start using them now that I have read various articles on their many uses.

On Nov 21, 2012, tmccullo from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

We have a 15' tree growing in our yard. I have no idea where we got it but do remember it was grown from seeds and I planted it maybe 5-6 years ago. It has been through two very cold winters were it got to a low of 21 degrees and 19 degrees and survived. This is the first year it has fruited and it is literally loaded with little round tiny orange looking fruit. The have a thin skin and smell kind of like a lime. The taste is like nothing I have ever tasted. Very tart but not as acidic as a lemon or lime.

On Sep 12, 2012, stephenp from Wirral, UK, Zone 9a
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

A pleasant plant, rather slow growing here, but the fruits are edible (if you can take the very tangy flavour).. the strange thing I found after eating Calamondin fruit, is that once you have some, you want more.. despite it's very tangy nature. It would be excellent juicing fruit.

My plant is in a pot, as there is no chance of it surviving outdoors over winter, I will over winter it in a frost free greenhouse.

On Aug 6, 2012, escot from Portalon
Costa Rica wrote:

We live in the tropical forest of Costa Rica and would like to advise that the monkeys love our calamondin fruits. They use it as an insecticide, rubbing it all over each other as well as eating it. We have a hard time keeping any fruit for ourselves.

On May 16, 2012, Katlian from Carson City, NV (Zone 6b) wrote:

Elkelrod, my little calamondin does this too. The vigorous shoot is growing from the root stock, which is usually from one of the thorny citrus species but hardier and more disease resistant than the calamondin's own roots. Just prune them off when you find them.

My little calamondin is doing well after almost a year in my house but I am constantly battling spider mites. Any suggestions?

On Jul 25, 2011, elkelrod from Country Club Estates, GA wrote:

I've just recently purchased a already has fruit, and I just noticed today that a branch about 12" long just above the soil line is not at all like the rest of the plant. The leaves are different in shape (no fruit on this branch) and there are long thorns on this same branch as well. Does anyone have an explanation for this?? Just doesn't seem normal to me!

On Dec 11, 2009, cookiew44 from Opelika, AL wrote:

My mom & I were on the way home from Fla. and we stopped for gas before we got out of the state. We were looking for lotto tickets when i spotted the little package of calamondin orange tree. I thought i would try to grow it just to see if i could. Well, I think that was about 7 years ago. I didn't know what to do with it. So, I put it in a new pot and it started growing-slowly. My bathroom window has alot of light, & so does my kitchen window, so i moved it from window to window. It has had lots of little oranges on it. Today it is about 21 " high and 2 ft. wide.
I have given my friend a little orange & now she is so excited it is coming up from seeds.
I am thankful I found Dave's Garden and more info on these calamondin oranges and recipes. My little tree is... read more

On Sep 21, 2009, davecito from Carrboro, NC wrote:

My calamondin is about 15 months old, in a container, so I can keep it inside through a North Carolina winter. Most of the growth I've gotten has been in the spring and fall - warm days, but cool (not cold) nights. A stretch of very hot afternoons brought growth to a near standstill during the peak of summer; when temps fell into the 70s and 80s, I got an almost immediate flush of new growth. Very lush foliage - it's a very handsome, shrubby plant.

On Dec 18, 2008, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

These delicious little fruits make a marmalade to die for.

On Dec 11, 2008, lucyjon from Brookfield, IL wrote:

I first purchased this as a small potted plant 10 years ago. It was flowering and fruiting when I bought it, even though it was only 12 inches high. It is now three and a half feet high, in a 16 inch pot, and covered with about 50 fruits and just as many blossoms. I use any regular potting soil, even putting all leaves and rotted fruit back into the pot. I feed only twice a year. I drag the pot outdoors for three seasons a year, finding that it can shrug off a slight frost. In the winter, it sits near an East window, getting no direct sunlight at all and does just fine. It seems to blossom most in the fall, right after I bring the pot indoors, and all fruit that has been hanging green for months quickly ripens indoors. Last winter I had a bout of aphids which were quickly eaten by a ladybu... read more

On Sep 1, 2008, KiMFDiM from Alden, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I am so thrilled that I can grow oranges in New York! I purchased this three years ago at a gift shop on my drive home from Tampa. I really didnt think that I would have luck with it, but thought it was worth the eight bucks to try!

The first year, it stayed small and didn't blossom at all. The second year, it grew a little in height and blossomed, but the tiny baby fruits all fell off. The third year, it grew slightly, blossomed and the fruits actually stayed. Maybe not alot (I believe I had 7). The fruits took forever to ripen. I ended up making pompadour's with them (pushing whole cloves through the skin and drying them out) and giving them for Xmas presents to family and friends. I was too afraid to try eating one not believing it would be very sweet having been g... read more

On Jan 6, 2007, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Given room to grow in a good sized pot in the
southern side of our home, this little tree has been
an absolutely wonderful and problem free pleasure
to grow.

As I type this, it is absolutely covered in blossoms;
which in case you didn't know, emit a scent worthy
of comparison to the finest perfume. It is simply

While the oranges themselves are rather tart, we find
it a treat to harvest the little fruits and squeeze them
into our iced tea.

Bring it indoors during winter and you'll be pleased to
see the fruits coming quickly.

Love it!

On Mar 5, 2005, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Fruit tree rare in cultivation, from Asia and the Philippines. Looks like tangerine, but more acid tasting (reportedly). Peels easily and has thin, deep orange skin.

On Sep 2, 2004, TamsTrees from Clewiston, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

We sell a lot of citrus all over, especially in the north. Calamondin (and kumquat) is one of our most popular. When someone orders a lime tree I try and steer them towards calamondin because they are excellent to use in place of limes. I use it on seafood, drinks and even martinis. They grow wonderfully in containers and hold the fruit a very long time. This past spring, well into May there were orange fruits on many of the trees. No doubt the bloom scent is awesome and I even moved one into the bathroom.

AS for soil… It’s hard for someone in a northern rural town to find a large selection of soil mixes. Many are using Miracle Gro’s Cactus mix with good results.

We pull back on the water some in the winter even on container citrus. It makes the fruit sweeter... read more

On Jun 9, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Positive: Nice little orange tree. When it flowers, the whole tree is covered with little fragrant white flowers which are replaced by oranges later.

Negative: It outgrows the pot quickly though and will need to be repotted or the plant will tilt over. Also, the oranges take a long time to ripen.

On Feb 9, 2004, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Calamondin is the result of a rare natural cross between 2 (two) closely related genera, the CITRUS and the FORTUNELLA. And it carries the characteristics of both the parents.

The Fortunella parent, Kumquat, lends a dense shrubby habitat, small leaves and a hardy constitution, whereas the Citrus reticulata, Mandarin Orange, lends thorns, tasty fruit and ease of peeling. So the Calamondin has small, easy to peel fruit with acid flavor.

Calamondin grows well in truly tropical areas through to those with very occasional mild frosts. With its upright habit, dark glossy foliage and multitude of small brightly colored fruits the Calamondin makes a fine ornamental and is well suited to growing in containers.

On Aug 17, 2003, xyris from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

My favorite citrus fruit! Of course, I like them tart! Calamondins are very easy to grow in central Florida, and fruit abundantly most of the year. The fruits can be used just like you would limes or key limes. The calamondin is actually an intergeneric hybrid between the tangerine and the kumquat, but really tastes and smells more like a key lime with tangerine essence. Substitute (peel and all) for part of the lime in margaritas, use to marinade or baste grilled chicken and pork.

My trees have been in the ground two years and are 12 feet tall, and produce hundreds of fruit already.