PlantFiles: Lakeview Jasmine, Orange Jessamine, Chinese Box
Murraya paniculata 'Lakeview'

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Murraya (mer-RAY-yuh) (Info)
Species: paniculata (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Lakeview

Synonym:Murraya exotica
Synonym:Chalcas paniculata
Synonym:Chalcas exotica

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By Calalily

Thumbnail #6 of Murraya paniculata by IslandJim

By IslandJim
Thumbnail #7 of Murraya paniculata by IslandJim

Positive dixiebelle123 On Jul 24, 2013, dixiebelle123 from Wauchula, FL wrote:

Just to correct misinformation.

The orange jasmine is not 'banned' in Florida and does not carry citrus greening. Commercial growers in Florida who produce this plant must take some precautions to see that it does not act as a host plant for the citrus psyllid insect that may have a (as yet unproven) connection to the spread of citrus greening between citrus trees, with emphasis on the 'may' and 'as yet unproven'.

It is the insect that may possibly be a risk, and not the orange jasmine plant. Special growing requirements were put in place as a protective measure for the benefit of the commercial citrus industry in Florida.

If you purchase orange jasmine in Florida, just take a little extra care to purchase clean, pest free plants from a licensed and certified grower, and then relax and enjoy this wonderfully fragrant and versatile addition to any tropical or semi tropical landscape.

Negative WillieJoe69 On Oct 1, 2012, WillieJoe69 from Tampa, FL wrote:

I purchased two Lakeview Jasmine plants four years ago and my plants have never bloomed. Could I have been sold two male plants? I know some of the plants were in bloom when I made the purchase from the nursery.

WillieJoe69

Negative cyl1 On Oct 10, 2010, cyl1 from Englewood, FL wrote:

Lakeview Jasmine has been banned from sale in Forida becasue it carries Citrus Greening, a disease that affects citrus trees. No cure. If you want to keep your citrus healthy-BEWARE.

Positive imraine2u On Jun 7, 2010, imraine2u from Boca Raton, FL wrote:

I have 3 Lakeview Jasmines in my landscaping. 2 are growing as standard trees. Only have had them for 3 years but they are doing nicely. The other is in multi trunk style since I am using it to hang my smaller orchids on and as shade. Have had that one 5 years and moved it 3 times. I keep the lower area trimmed up and absolutely love the fragrance these guys give me.

I had a standard tree style many years ago when I lived in Illinois and kept it in indoors all year around. It was growing in a north doorway space with bright light. It bloomed for me all the time.

Positive wishnwell On May 28, 2009, wishnwell from Houston, TX wrote:

I tried buying this in the Houston area after it was recommended by another gardener. I was told by a nurseryman that they are no longer sold here because it was determined that some butterfly (swallowtail? can't remember) likes to lay eggs on the plant but that it's toxic to the baby butterflies. I managed to get some cuttings, but I don't know if I should feel guilty about using them. My small cuttings look like the photos here on DG although my leaves are more alternate than opposite as the leaves in these photos appear. I'd appreciate comments.

Positive flaflwrgrl On Mar 18, 2009, flaflwrgrl from North Central , FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I am a Fl. native of 52 years, east coast, southern region to southern central region. As far back as I can remember these have been used all over the area, mostly as hedges but sometimes in standard form. They are TOUGH. Once established will take much drought. Will take full sun to shade and still look terrific! The fragrance is "to die for"! They have not been as popular for about the last 12 years or so and have been at times difficult to find at nurseries, which is a shame.

Positive Chantell On Feb 9, 2009, Chantell from Middle of, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Received one of these last summer - what a wonderful, easy plant she's been....even over wintering well for me in the house. The fragrance of these blooms are easily one of my favorites!!

Positive florida_newbie On Apr 8, 2008, florida_newbie from Harold, FL wrote:

Bought a home last year that had a 5" tree form by the front door....absolutely love it! However, this winters freeze has apparently killed it. Sure don't want to loose it-and I'm new to North Florida growing conditions. Do these leaf out slowly in the spring (I hope!) The trunk is about 1-2 inch diameter, about 2 years old in a sheltered location and near a brick pillar. To date I've found only dry dead-appearing branches. The only other thing we lost were Mexican Heathers and they are resprouting fine...so I'm hopeful someone can advise me.

Positive wondefulj On Sep 12, 2007, wondefulj from Loxahatchee, FL wrote:

I just bought 4 of these. My husbands job is selling them for a charity event for $5 each. When he brought them home I was so pleased. They are about 4 1/2- 5ft already. They are in bloom and very healthy from what I can see. I live is S. E Florida.

We have a large piece of property with a pond (the pond is in the back of the property quite far from the back of the house). I would love to plant them near the back porch but I am concerned that the roots will grow into the foundation of the house or that they will hit the roof of the house.

Positive nalin1 On Sep 14, 2006, nalin1 from New Delhi
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

Excellent plant as a hedge and topiary usage in New Delhi. Quite hardy, tolerating Delhi's summer heat (40 C+ or 100 F+), monsoon humidity and rain and ocassional temperature drops to freezing. Does equally well in full sun and semi-shade. Easy to propagate from cuttings, and is fairly fast growing. Its lovely uplifting citrus fragrance and its ease of maintenance make it a popular plant here.

Positive leeannab On Jan 14, 2006, leeannab from Oviedo, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I grew a row of about 25 as a privacy hedge. They were wonderful, beautiful with a gorgeous fragrance. They started as 3-gal pots and shot up to 7 feet within 2 years with lots of Black Kow. After the 2nd year, they were nicely drought-tolerant.

I loved them so much I'm trying to find a source near by my new home.

Positive rondaross On Nov 14, 2005, rondaross from Deer Park, TX wrote:

My husband and I have four of these trees/bushes in our backyard and we love them. Each one is about 5' 3" tall and we've only had them 2 years and we bought them fairly small. They put blooms out all year around and there's about a 3 to 4 weeks between each bloom time so we don't have to wait long. Interestingly enough, they all seem to bloom at the same time too. We've not had any troubles with them so far, and we just prune them a little bit since they are along a pathway.

Positive ravntorthe On Nov 3, 2005, ravntorthe from Elkins, WV wrote:

I purchased my Lakeview a few weeks ago, much against the advice of the gentleman who owned the greenhouse it came from. I was told that they were not good plants for keeping indoors (I live in a zone 5 area) and if you want to winter them over you ought to have a greenhouse. I decided to take a gamble and buy the plant (since he'd just trimmed up all his shrubs and refused to sell me any cuttings) and have found that mine is flourishing beyond expectation.

As the flowers have opened, I have been pretty diligent in hand-pollinating them and now there are a few green seed-capsules growing. I want to get as many plants started as possible so that I can give them to friends who can't afford the price ($50 during season, $25 off season) and I intend to do so both by cuttings and planting the seeds.

As a side note for those who are told they are terrible house plants: I'm not certain if this is the cause, but I heat my home with a woodstove and for the comfort of my plants and myself I keep large kettles of water on the stove for added humidity. The jasmine seems to be quite happy to be kept in a room above the room with the stove as it is very warm and in a sunny location.

Positive DawnRain On Mar 18, 2005, DawnRain from Bartow, FL wrote:

This is one of my favorite plants. I love the scent of orange blossoms and that is exactly the scent of these flowers. Yes, Wekiva1, you can prune it to almost any height and shape. It makes a beautiful hedge. The small oval leaves are normally a deep dark green and very dense. Occasionally it may yellow, but add chelated iron or manganese and it will green right up again. It blooms often year round and scents it area wonderfully. Not constant bloom, but in flushes. More bloom than leaf growth, so you really need prune only once or twice a year to keep the size and shape you want. Those blooms are in clusters that also look like small orange blossoms and they are followed by little red two seeded fruits. It will grow in sun or shade, indoors or out, not bothered by drought and can take flooding. This is about as perfect as a plant gets for the Florida garden.

Neutral wekiva1 On Mar 17, 2005, wekiva1 from Sanford, FL wrote:

I'd like to grow this as a low (3-4') bush in an area about 2' x 5' but I know it can grow tall.

Positive udigg On Oct 5, 2003, udigg from PH
Israel (Zone 10b) wrote:

A must for frargrant flowers lovers! Has a strong, pungent scent. Grow in a pot if your winters are too cold.

Los Angeles, California
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Sebastian, Florida
Tampa, Florida
Venice, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida (3 reports)
Winter Garden, Florida