Flanders Poppy 'Ladybird'

Papaver commutatum

Family: Papaveraceae (pa-pav-er-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Papaver (puh-PAY-ver) (Info)
Species: commutatum (kom-yoo-TAH-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Ladybird
Synonym:Papaver rhoeas var. commutatum

Not Applicable

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Anchor Point, Alaska

Palmer, Alaska

Castro Valley, California

Fairfield, California

Livermore, California

Oakland, California

Richmond, California

San Anselmo, California

San Jose, California (2 reports)

Carmel, Indiana

Marshalltown, Iowa

Chester, Vermont

On Jul 2, 2013, polarpatty from Palmer, AK wrote:

I received a few of these beauties from a friend who happens to be the wife of a veggie farmer. She SWORE she wasn't messing with annuals this year (they have a large produce stand) but she decided to plant these in a wheelbarrow in from of their store to attract the attention of passersby.

I planted mine under a blue spruce on the sunny side of the trunk (cosmos on the shadier side.) The brilliant red against the silvery needles of the tree is stunning. These lovely ladies are proud and beautiful!

We live in south central Alaska, zone 4-5, about 45 miles northeast of Anchorage. Long days in short summers!

On Apr 28, 2010, otter47 from Livermore, CA wrote:

"Ladybird" is my favorite among the annual poppies. It blooms more profusely and over a longer period than the others, and the plants are more compact and stocky. It always gathers attention.

On Apr 26, 2010, mrs_colla from Marin, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I bought mine from Annie's Annuals, and this plant is a super easy winner!!! I love the colour, and the sheer mass of the flowers and buds is amazing!

On Feb 5, 2008, milkbonehappy from Chester, VT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I planted a "wildflower seed mix" one year, and this poppy came up in that spot in my garden the following year. I believe that, like many poppies, the seeds need to overwinter in order to germinate, which is why they did not grow the season I planted the mix. The one plant grew into a huge, gorgeous poppy plant with dozens of blooms over a period of several weeks. The single plant was probably about 2 feet high and wide and quite bushy and profusely blooming with attractive foliage. The blooms only last a day but new ones follow in rapid succession. The buds are lovely, fuzzy, drooping pods prior to bursting open to reveal the slowly unfolding, tissue-paper-like blooms. It is fascinating to catch a bloom just after it emerges from the pod, you can actually watch as the flower slowly ... read more

On Jan 2, 2008, JimIowa from Marshalltown, IA wrote:

Kids love these little poppies. Water from below because they will turn to mush if the leaves stay wet for too long. Becareful when thinning them out, they don't like the dirt disturbed around their roots.

On May 18, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've just purchased mine, I can't wait to see the flowers, so far it's looking good! I love bright flowers that are showy.

On Jul 29, 2003, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This poppy sends up 2 dozen or more lovely little flowers that look just like ladybugs. Kids love them! From a 4" pot will start to flower within a month and keep going for about 3-4 weeks. Each bloom will only last a couple of days, but more are always coming up. An exceptional annual.