Neem Tree
Azadirachta indica

Family: Meliaceae (me-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Azadirachta (ay-zad-ih-RAK-tuh) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Cream/Tan

Scarify seed before sowing

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Grenoble,

Seffner, Florida

Winter Haven, Florida

On Jan 10, 2014, elaine_in_spain from santa pola
Spain wrote:

I planted 5 seeds on my south facing balcony in potting compost after scarifying the seeds, and after 25 days one seed germinated. In the first 10 weeks it was growing fine, and the tap root was pushing it's way out of the drainage holes in the pot, so I repotted it then brought it inside as the autumn winds were getting up. I put it in a south facing window were it's leaves promptly turned yellow and all fell off! I left it alone, only giving it a half cup of water every 10 days or so (when the earth felt really dry) and noticed just yesterday that it is sprouting new leaves! (8 weeks after losing them all!)
Has this happened to anyone else? I think maybe it was too much stress repotting AND bringing inside all in the same week. But it is looking healthy again now. I'm looking forw... read more

On Sep 21, 2012, DesertRose_50 from Peel, AR (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have raised this tree since it was a baby.
It is now 10 years old. And i am now in the process of collecting the seeds for starting new ones. I use the plastic netting that they sell in grocery stores for oranges, for holding the seeds while they mature so the bats or birds do not take the seeds.
It has a beautiful scent that reminds me of the orange trees in Fla. Heavenly scent!
I grow it here in AR. on my porch when temps are nice.
It is almost time to bring it back in for overwinter here, if the temps get any lower. It likes the south sun in winter here.
I make natural soaps and tea from it so far.
I have baby neems that have just sprouted from my viable seeds.
I LOVE this tree!

On Jul 23, 2012, Omoloya from Hamilton Township, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have a neem seedling that I have not overwatered, potted with a *bit* of Plant-Tone, had been sheltered from excessive sun (but now is in full morning sun) and is looking rather frail. Not dead. Not dying. Just frail.

Please help!

On Aug 19, 2011, juku from York Point, NS (Zone 5a) wrote:

My 6' tall neem tree is in a container, which I kept outdoor in the back patio during the summer. I was curious to find out whether neem would repel mosquitoes as some has claimed.

My findings after a number of times I was outside doing BBQ or watering plants in the last 2 months:
- within 6' radius, there are virtually no mosquitoes.
- within 14' radius, there are significantly less of them buzzing around, in comparision to other years.

I hope these findings confirmed that neem does make a different, not because of other factors. Given the threat of west Nile virus spreading via mosquitoes, I'd love to have dozens of the neem trees to guard the yards, in that case.
I enjoyed my neem tree in any case, mistaken miracle or not.

On Aug 9, 2010, DDFaye from Cedar Creek, TX wrote:

Hello there!

I just wanted to share a little of my experience with the neem tree that I have been advocating, researching and promoting for almost two decades in the USA and Africa, as well as India where the laudable Neem Foundation organization contributes significantly to this cause through their World Neem Conferences events.

I am from Senegal, West Africa (residing in Texas) where recent US project reported in 2003 a Senegal national park of 18-20 million adult neem trees. Also in 1992, USAID funded an international ad-hoc panel to investigate neem worldwide with a stunning finding of the Senegal neem quality superiority in azadirachtnin content (9mg/gram of Neem Seed Kernel; NSK). Check out the book: "Neem. A Tree For Solving Global Problems" (page 3... read more

On Jun 28, 2007, Magpye from NW Qtr, AR (Zone 6a) wrote:

Other common names are: margosa tree, Indian lilac, and balnimb and is in the same plant family as mahogany .. and is . Among other things, its wood is used for timber, its bark for fibre and its seeds for fuel.

Neem trees are planted to provide shade and prevent soil erosion. Its wood can be used as a substitute for true mahogany, because it is heavy and similarly red in colour. Neem trees provide a very durable lumber .. so, is excellent for making carts, agricultural tools, bridges and for boat building.

Neem is also a good plant used for making poles because it will re-sprout after it is cut, and is thus easily pollarded or coppiced.

The bark of the Neem tree, is rough and its color can be pale to greyish-black. The tree produces a useful ... read more