PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Sweet Million'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Sweet Million

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by DAKOTA31400

By DAKOTA31400
Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by DAKOTA31400

Positive brandon05w On May 4, 2014, brandon05w from LEOMA, TN wrote:

I had 5 of these plants in my garden and couldn't keep up with them. It was absolutely insane how many little tomatoes I got that year! You will need to support this plant with something tall or it will take over a small garden.

Positive dorisv On Sep 7, 2013, dorisv from Oakland, CA wrote:

This was a vibrant and productive addition this year. Wonderful large cherry tomatoes that were sweet and full of true tomato flavor. It's been described as a red Sungold, but I would say that the taste is comparable but different enough to have both in your garden. The fruit size is slightly larger for Sweet Million too. I will definitely grow this again.

Positive crapsdealer On Aug 8, 2013, crapsdealer from Pilot Rock, OR wrote:

Last year my husband planted one in a fifteen inch pot to see if he had ripe tomatoes before I did; he did, by about ten days. This year I bought one plant, planted it in a 24" by 24" box with three other plants (Juliet, Yellow Plum, and Christmas Grape) and it was the first one ripe this year. The first tomato was picked and eaten July 16. It was very tasty, sweet, little acidity, and the skin was almost thin enough not to notice. Since it is sharing a container with three others, I do not expect a big yield, but it was the first to produce in 2012 and one of the last to die off, living through two frosts. I live at 2500' altitude and grow everything in containers.

Positive idealpeggy On Jun 17, 2013, idealpeggy from Lexington, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I ordered transplants of this little tomato after checking on the forums to ask everyone's favorite tomato. Due to the weather, I wasn't able to get them in the ground till mid-May. I picked my first ripe ones yesterday, June 16, and they are yummy!! They are everything everyone says they are! This one's a keeper!

Positive drthor On May 26, 2012, drthor from Irving, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

One of the first red tomatoes to ripen. About 1 red cherry, larger than Sweet 100 and much more sweet.
Definitely a must have.

Positive slumpond On Jul 20, 2011, slumpond from Stockett, MT (Zone 4a) wrote:

Have been growing Sweet Million since 87 great taste thin skins and always dependable.We make a salad of cut sm;s
with olive oil and fresh basil that is our favorite'

Positive evila_elf On Apr 3, 2011, evila_elf from Chehalis, WA wrote:

I have actually had good success growing this plant from seeds. I love the fact that they don't split and wanted to try to grow my own.

I've seen sites where the gather of any tomato seed is quite detailed...yet this one has been easy for me.

I just cut open the tomato, get a toothpick to navigate the seeds, and put them along the edges of a dixie cup (plastic works best). It doesn't matter if there is some pulp on the seeds. Line them up so they don't touch. Some will sink to the bottom of the container if there is too much pulp with them. Keep moving them up until they stay put.

Let them dry on the cup by a window for a week or two, then chip them off of the cup and into a little storage bag. I have done this three years in a row, and over half of my seeds sprout. After a week after planting (the next season), I have almost 20/50 sprouted, with a new one or two each day.

Positive Pfg On Dec 21, 2010, Pfg from (Pam) Warren, CT (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've grown Sweet Million successfully in the past in Southampton, NY, where they were my all-time favorites. This year I tried them in Kent, CT along with 4th of July (a winner, first to ripen, nice flavor) and Sweet Snack (not- late, not outstanding, and first to go in the fall). The lawn guy told me at the end of the season that he'd helped himself freely to Sweet Million all summer after sampling all three!!! And I was blaming the change in zones for lower yield!!!

Positive Raparee On Nov 18, 2010, Raparee from Garner, NC wrote:

This was my first year to plant a Sweet Million...and of course, it was one of the hottest on record. Other growers seemed to have tomatoes right and left, but our tomatoes kept growing, just not producing (and we tried everything). It wasn't until the heat broke and we started dropping temps at night that they really started going. It wasn't just the SMs affected, but also the Romas and Beefsteaks as well. I am going to try moving a plant into the greenhouse over the winter and see how it weathers. So far, we're still producing a lot and it's nearly Thanksgiving. I would recommend that a tarp be used on outdoor plants to help prevent them getting too cold at night if your area is starting to get a bit frosty. I don't know when they will finally get too cold. I planted them with basil and lemon balm and next to an agastache, so we would have a lot of friendly pollinators.

As a note: They LOVE, in a crazy-go-nuts sort of way, to have coffee grounds added to their soil. If you're not a coffee drinker (and even if you are), a lot of coffee shops will give you used grounds free of charge. They are a staple in my compost bin now.

Neutral MidnightCloner On Oct 20, 2010, MidnightCloner from Miami, FL wrote:

I read the reviews of this plant and thought it would work in the late summer heat of Miami. It did not. Night time temps in the low 80's and lots of humidity and rain killed the pollen. They started flowering in late August. I am now in October and have gotten maybe 1 tomato per plant. It is starting to cool down to low 70's at night and now the upper branches are starting to produce a little bit. I have a few more started for this winter. They predict they will give me a much better show.

Positive DAKOTA31400 On Mar 4, 2010, DAKOTA31400 from Saint Simons Island, GA wrote:

By the time this cultivar stops producing, you'll be tired of eating tomatoes. Container friendly, needs to be pruned.

Positive stealthbear On Aug 2, 2009, stealthbear from Victoria, KS wrote:

I have grown these for the past 4 or 5 years. They are fairly difficult to germinate from seeds, even with a temperature controlled heat mat. This is a prolific plant that produces thousands (maybe millions??) of wonderfully tasty tomatoes. I have seven varieties of tomatoes planted this year and all of them, except the sweet million, have been affected badly by alternaria fungal blight. I have Juliet, Sun Gold and a small Roma cherry-type tomato plants as well as a few salsa and meaty-type larger tomato plants. All of them have significant blight damage. The sweet million plant has just a few leaves that have been affected--it seems to have a pretty good resistance to this fungus.

Positive dianne99 On Jul 30, 2009, dianne99 from Brookville, KS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I didn't think I liked cherry tomatoes, but these are really sweet, the skin is thin and yummy, and they are super easy and prolific. They taste more like a really good slicer. Mine is in my best organic soil and is over 6 feet high in late July. Will grow again.

Positive DonShirer On Aug 31, 2008, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Produced better than average tasting cherry tomatoes from July through September. I had one plant in the sun and one in a fairly well shaded spot and they both had good crops of 1 to 1.5 inch fruit in clusters of 6-8.

Positive SLO_Garden On Jun 17, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I planted a Sweet Million for the first time about four years ago, and it has produced at least one volunteer every year since. So, I grow it every year whether I like it or not (LOL). It is sweet and very productive. I have a hard time keeping up with all of the tomatoes (but if I let them rot on the ground I just get more volunteers!). They are a good cherry to snack on while you are gardening and kids love them.

Positive lemon_tree On Dec 16, 2006, lemon_tree from Santa Rosa, CA wrote:

This is the most prolific cherry tomato I've ever seen and one of the most delicious I've grown. I've had my whole neighborhood eating these tomatoes. And, here in the SF Bay Area, I had fruit until the frosts kicked in around Thanksgiving. Can't wait to grow this again next year.

Positive EAPierce On Sep 24, 2006, EAPierce from Idaho Falls, ID (Zone 5a) wrote:

This marvellous plant lives up to its name, that's for sure. One plant will produce ridiculous amounts of bright red, marble-sized sweet bites, enough to keep you snacking as you garden, snacking some more afterwards, plucking more for your harvest basket, fretting over the dozen or so that dropped as soon as you handled the plant, giving bunches away, and then finally hoping that the local wildlife will make use of what you can't (and it does!).

Excellent disease resistance, virtually no cracking. I didn't fertilize my Sweet Million plant and it wasn't even in full sun, and yet it was an outstanding specimen. It's a long vine but not too difficult to manage, and holds up nicely all the little tomatoes it bears. Pop one into your mouth and you'll experience a crisp, juicy burst of sweetness with little acid to speak of.

I preferred Sweet Baby Girl for flavor,and SWB's productivity is darned good, but Sweet Million is certainly nothing to sneeze at, and a great choice for those who only have room for one cherry tomato plant, like a sweet flavor and want to invest their efforts in a plant that isn't fussy or unreliable.

Positive jwr6404 On Feb 18, 2006, jwr6404 from University Place, WA wrote:

It's a keeper. Very sweet and tasty. Only problem was the one plant produced a million more tomato's than we needed. Will plant it in a smaller container this year to limit the production and plant size.

Positive Ripley7700 On Dec 19, 2005, Ripley7700 from Tomball, TX wrote:

This little tomato is a star! This was my first year for growing tomatoes, and this plant out-performed all other varieties that I grew, hybrids and heirlooms. This plant tolerated and peformed in extreme heat (95+ in September) and kept up with production until the first freeze (production increasing as it cooled down). I also grew Sun Sugar, but the Sweet Million were much sweeter and pleasing (to me), and the plant was much more productive. In an added bonus for my yard, at least, this plant peformed well in fairly shady conditions which didn't favor many of the other tomato varieties that I tried. It also thrived in a container, even though the vine eventually grew to be over 6 feet tall. I think this is a pretty fail-safe tomato for beginners and will definitely be on my tomato list for spring planting.

Positive tmm99 On Aug 18, 2005, tmm99 from Sunnyvale, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Very very sweet and very very productive. The plants grew over 6ft and the amount of tomatoes that grew on them were amazing. I did Sweet 100 last year, but Sweet Million is much more productive, vigourous and the tomato flavors are even better than Sweet 100, in my opinion.

Positive CountryDaddy On Apr 17, 2003, CountryDaddy from Wilmington, IL wrote:

I live in the northern Illinois area. I have grown Sweet Million tomatoes every year for what must be 15 years now. I experimented first with Sweet 100, Supersweet 100 and Sweet Chelsea, but found that Sweet Million was sweeter, more crack-resistant and more productive.

Positive CanadaGoose On Mar 20, 2003, CanadaGoose from Oakville, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

Profilic, very sweet fruit.

Mountain View, California