PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Sweet 100'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Sweet 100

Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by frogsrus

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by frogsrus

By ssherrel1
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by ssherrel1

Positive lindypuddin On Mar 5, 2012, lindypuddin from stony mountain, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

this was the first tomato i grew, in my first garden. i was 16.
i had no idea it would grow over 6 feet tall, it fell over against the garage and had hundreds of tasty tomatos.
i caught the neighbors in the yard with a bowl going for them!
i had no idea what i was doing, but was rewarded by
that one plant, and it began my gardening of over 32 years !

Positive velvit138 On Mar 23, 2011, velvit138 from Waverly, TN wrote:

When I grew this tomato in green bay it simply amazed me with the number of tomatoes one plant can produce. Now I continue to grow it here in TN and even here it kicks all other cherry tomatoes butts! does well even in the middle of summer.

Positive JasonHicks On Mar 7, 2010, JasonHicks from Cocoa Beach, FL wrote:

I just put a new 8 inch transplant in the ground here in Cocoa Beach. We have had an unusually cold winter here. I can't imagine us getting any more frost threats. Especially in Cocoa Beach which is essentially a more tropical micro-climate compared to the surrounding inland areas. I'm hoping to be inundated with 100's of sweet little tomatoes. My parents have always grown sweet 100's and I know them to be huge producers. The flavor is superb; they are very sweet. The only downside are the tough skin and they like to sprawl.

Positive Caedi25 On Mar 5, 2010, Caedi25 from Kirkland, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Kept our "100" in a wine barrel planter on the southwest corner of our deck and it performed perfectly in our iffy Zone 8b summer. Heavy continuous yield of ultra sweet "vine candy", no pests or blight, no cracked skins. In fact, the only downside for these little gems might be their tough skins. On the other hand, perhaps that is why they are so pristine and have such a long shelf life.

Negative DAKOTA31400 On Mar 4, 2010, DAKOTA31400 from Saint Simons Island, GA wrote:

Must keep this plant dry or blight will have it for breakfast.
Better tasting than Sweet Million, but a nightmare to try and grow down here on the coast.

Positive pajaritomt On Jan 11, 2009, pajaritomt from Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have been growing Sweet 100 for years! It is one of my favorite Cherry Tomatoes and in my dry climate, I have no trouble with disease on it ( knock on wood). I just get so many tomatoes that I can barely pick them all and I love the sweet flavor.
Perhaps it is my extremely dry climate that helps them grow. They get most of their moisture through drip irrigation, not rain. Perhaps that protects them.

Negative stormygace On Jan 11, 2009, stormygace from kure beach, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

they were fast growers, Initially sweet & nicely balanced with tartness but hit with some sort of blight in July which withered the vines from the lower branches up - took about 10 days for them to be utterly yellowed & withered. The tomatoes turned wicked sour on the sick vines. The grape tomatoes suffered none of that & plugged right along. We preferred the Sweet 100s but the grape tomatoes stayed until the end of the summer so we made so & liked having them. Will not grow Sweet 100 here again.

Negative avjudge On Jul 28, 2008, avjudge from Somerville, MA wrote:

Apparently it's just me, but I did not like the flavor of these tomatoes. They're sweet - but too sweet - and no tomato taste as I like it. They grew fine, but I never repeated the experience. I got a 10-cent packet of "cherry" tomatoes at the drug store and liked their real-tomato flavor so well I planted from that packet every year until it was gone.

Positive lafko06 On Aug 14, 2006, lafko06 from Brimfield, MA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this tomato. It yields lots and lots of yummy cherry tomatoes. I have no experienced any cracking on this fruit. All have been shaped nicely with no problems and I will grow this again.

Positive admodeva On Nov 22, 2005, admodeva from Dutton, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

Our first year growing these and they turned out really good. They are good to eat straight off the vine. Alot do tend to fall and I noticed some cracking, but these plants were so productive all season we always had more than we could eat anyway.

Positive GardenMole On Aug 23, 2005, GardenMole from Denver, CO wrote:

This is my first year growing tomatos. I planted in the ground (in Colorado) in Mid May - 2 Early Girl, 2 Roma, and 2 Sweet 100's.

The Sweet 100's have taken over...
I get literally hundreds of the sweetest tomatos I could imagine every week, and judging by the flowering, will get many more. I noticed if I don't trim them once a week they tend to overgrow with long (up to 7 ft!) branches with little flowering. I have also had great luck cutting the tomoatos while still green, and letting them ripen indoors. This is soo much fun!

Positive treeeman On Aug 14, 2005, treeeman from Fairhaven, MA wrote:

Better than candy. I grow them in 5 gallon buckets and eat about ten a day when they turn red. I tie them to a 5 foot stick that is in the bucket and eat them after halloween. These are great.

Positive Kameha On Apr 25, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is probably the best producer of all my tomatoes. Very disease resistant as well. Very drought and heat tolerant too. This is the only tomato I can actually eat...the others make me gag. It's so sweet! You literally get hundreds of tomatoes each week! Too many to count!

Positive RStewart On Oct 6, 2003, RStewart from Carson City, NV wrote:

Our second-year planting of Weet 100s was superb. It was in ground that had a lot of horse manure, chopped alfalfa and ground wood chips added a year earlier.
Biggest problem with them is the bounty--we couldn't pick them all, and many fell into the lush growth when picking others.
We call them "candy," and graze on them in the garden, take baskets to friends who eat them at their desks. They also make a great salsa--the sweetness adds a flavor of its own.

Negative wbw121 On Jun 29, 2003, wbw121 wrote:

The leaves on my three sweet 100 plants are curling inward in NW Indiana. All my other tomato varieties are doing well. what am I doing wrong? Please help!! I don't want to lose them. I've fertilized twice in the last month with Miracle-Gro. Too much, maybe? Thanks

Positive SunshineSue On Jun 25, 2003, SunshineSue from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

For cracking, try consistant watering. Drought or not watering often enough or irregularily can cause cracking of fruit. Also amend the soil with store bought manure before planting & practise crop rotaion from year to year. Tomatoes grown for too many years in the same soil will deplete the soil of what is required by tomatoes. Same goes for many crops.

Neutral HomeGrown On Jun 24, 2003, HomeGrown from Midlothian, VA wrote:

Growing Sweet 100 in Richmond VA has been very successful as long as the weather cooperated. In good seasons I had hundreds of small fruit all season right up to frost. I used a large cage made of concrete reinforcing mesh (metal) and the one plant grew all over the 6' tall cage. Last year we had a drought and I had a lot of lost fruit due to cracking.
Extremely tasty fruit and heavy yield as long as the weather is cooperative.

Positive azadams On Jun 22, 2003, azadams from Phoenix, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have had success for 3 years with this tomato and I live in Arizona. Garden was back of house with early morning exposure until mid day, very hot during July and August. The first year was not a high yield but it was due to soil variations, pests and trampling by children. However, during winter it stayed and began producing in February. The second year, removed first plant and started another plant to other side of yard and was very high yield with over 8 dozen tomatoes. A very unusual thunder storm did pull down plants but tomatoes survived and produced even more. The plants, if drawn up to their complete height, were well over 10 feet tall. I used a product that I use on ALL my plants called Kellog's Amend. The third year (2003), I moved to another house and this year plants are slow to grow with large shade tree covering from mid morning to mid day. Exceptionally high yield and great for toddlers to help pick.

Neutral CountryDaddy On Apr 17, 2003, CountryDaddy from Wilmington, IL wrote:

The only drawback I experienced with Sweet 100 was the inordinate amount of fruit loss due to cracking, especially after rainfalls. Otherwise, the taste and productivity were both good.

Positive graffixalley On Apr 13, 2003, graffixalley from Laurelville, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have planted Sweet 100 in the past with good results but most fruits were simply cherry sized. Last year, with late frost, floods and then drought, this variety produced great tasting golfball or bigger sized tomatoes right up to our first killing frost, which was late also, keeping step with the weird season in general (south-central Ohio).
I staked them quite late, after a major flood knocked all my plants over (at least the ones that were not completely washed away!) and it was a mess untangling the vines. I used MiracleGro (I don't work for them!) with the sprayer attachment about 4 times during the growing season, and had to water heavily late in the summer.
Even with variations in weather, the taste was consistently good all through the season. Green tomatoes performed well in pickling, both by themselves and in garden mix, staying firm and crunchy even after heat processing.
**Update: I also saw a good bit of cracking after heavy rain, but that didn't happen much last year where I live!

Birmingham, Alabama