Chestnut Vine, Lizard Vine
Tetrastigma voinierianum

Family: Vitaceae (vee-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tetrastigma (tet-ruh-STIG-muh) (Info)
Species: voinierianum

Sarasota, Florida

Hollywood, South Carolina

Humble, Texas

On Apr 9, 2015, cyrusiris from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

I agree with all every one has said. I will add that it prefers a higher humidity such as in a plant room as opposed to a typical living room setup. Definitely don't put it near an air vent or dry heat source otherwise the leaves get brown edges, curl, get chlorotic and eventually drop. It also doesn't root well during the cooler months so either trim it back while it's warm or bring it inside and wait until Spring. It is a monster, give it room to sprawl or train it up as best you can to something other than the wall, children and family pets, haha.

On Oct 22, 2013, GilliganGirl from San Diego, CA wrote:

This vine grows aggressively well in coastal San Diego. It can be a thug if not controlled. You should remember to cut all the tendrils off the stems of other plants, or else it will strangle them. It's best to cut them back in early Fall and to prune them as needed throughout the year.

I got a particularly nice variety with orange hairs all over the growing tips at the Dry Garden in Berkeley CA, then imported it to San Diego. It's well worth growing if you don't mind the maintenance. If you don't cut it back, be warned that it will eventually eat your house:)

On Dec 14, 2011, YSFinHollywoodS from Hollywood, SC wrote:

I've had two hanging baskets of Chestnut Vine on the porch all summer and it has been lovely. Hope it lives through the cold weather so it can look beautiful again next summer.

On Feb 4, 2011, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

My experience with Chestnut Vine is that it makes an awesomely durable houseplant, especially if you wipe the dust off the shiny upper surfaces of the leaflets every couple of months. Only once in several months do I manage to provide the right conditions to support new growth. New stems only grow out 2-5 nodes before the growing tip falls off, but the remaining new leaves fill out handsomely.

On Aug 30, 2008, xaia from Kitchener

I just recently purchased my first Tetrastigma voinierianum at my local nursery! I am so stoked to see it grow like crazy. The staff member at the nursery was so enthralled that I was buying it because she herself has one! She was so incredibley helpful, even telling me that the tiny specks on the fuzzy underside of the leaflets were not insects but in fact sand crystals that the plant makes! From what she told me, every time that I water it I should feed it with a high nitrogen fertilizer at the same time. I'm to keep it on the dry side, and in intermittent light. What I love the most about it is its size and appealing characteristics. The perfect plant! Thank you for all the help Heather!!

On May 26, 2007, Hoppingcrow from Mt. Rainier, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Otherwise known as the "Man-Eating Plant" in this household, my Tetrastigma is quite happy being pinched back to a manageable four-foot height. It has a tendency to drop its new growth when the soil is allowed to become slightly too dry, but this has not been a problem since I prefer to keep it pruned. I have been able to start slips from softwood cuttings, although it's somewhat tricky.

Friends refer to the plant as a "presence" in my living room!

On May 31, 2004, greyyhawkk from Seattle, WA wrote:

ive come up with several names for my specimen due to its size and its apparent ability to move: Audrey III (little shop of horror's "feed me Seymour!"), seymore, "IT" (not a reference to steven kings novel), and... Tetragrammaton; refers to the four hebrew letters usually transliterated as YHWH or JHVH, used as a biblical proper name for GOD (-: i took it from a bright, hot, dry, under watered, undernourished environment to a medium-low light, relatively cool (55-75 f), medium-high humidity environment (indoors-seattle, i let it dry out between waterings), and use an organic 4-4-4. also used some Superthrive vitamin/hormone to help the transition. there was some leaf drop, but it quickly came back with new growth: new leaves on an ever-elongating branch that can move a foot or two in one... read more