PlantFiles: Chestnut Vine, Lizard Vine
Tetrastigma voinierianum

Family: Vitaceae (vee-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tetrastigma (tet-ruh-STIG-muh) (Info)
Species: voinierianum

Thumbnail #6 of Tetrastigma voinierianum by kniphofia

By palmbob
Thumbnail #7 of Tetrastigma voinierianum by palmbob

Positive GilliganGirl On Oct 22, 2013, GilliganGirl from San Diego, CA wrote:

This vine grows aggressively well in coastal San Diego. It can be a thug if not controlled. You should remember to cut all the tendrils off the stems of other plants, or else it will strangle them. It's best to cut them back in early Fall and to prune them as needed throughout the year.

I got a particularly nice variety with orange hairs all over the growing tips at the Dry Garden in Berkeley CA, then imported it to San Diego. It's well worth growing if you don't mind the maintenance. If you don't cut it back, be warned that it will eventually eat your house:)

Positive YSFinHollywoodS On Dec 14, 2011, YSFinHollywoodS from Hollywood, SC wrote:

I've had two hanging baskets of Chestnut Vine on the porch all summer and it has been lovely. Hope it lives through the cold weather so it can look beautiful again next summer.

Positive JonthanJ On Feb 4, 2011, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

My experience with Chestnut Vine is that it makes an awesomely durable houseplant, especially if you wipe the dust off the shiny upper surfaces of the leaflets every couple of months. Only once in several months do I manage to provide the right conditions to support new growth. New stems only grow out 2-5 nodes before the growing tip falls off, but the remaining new leaves fill out handsomely.

Positive xaia On Aug 30, 2008, xaia from Kitchener

I just recently purchased my first Tetrastigma voinierianum at my local nursery! I am so stoked to see it grow like crazy. The staff member at the nursery was so enthralled that I was buying it because she herself has one! She was so incredibley helpful, even telling me that the tiny specks on the fuzzy underside of the leaflets were not insects but in fact sand crystals that the plant makes! From what she told me, every time that I water it I should feed it with a high nitrogen fertilizer at the same time. I'm to keep it on the dry side, and in intermittent light. What I love the most about it is its size and appealing characteristics. The perfect plant! Thank you for all the help Heather!!

Positive Hoppingcrow On May 26, 2007, Hoppingcrow from Mt. Rainier, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Otherwise known as the "Man-Eating Plant" in this household, my Tetrastigma is quite happy being pinched back to a manageable four-foot height. It has a tendency to drop its new growth when the soil is allowed to become slightly too dry, but this has not been a problem since I prefer to keep it pruned. I have been able to start slips from softwood cuttings, although it's somewhat tricky.

Friends refer to the plant as a "presence" in my living room!

Positive greyyhawkk On May 31, 2004, greyyhawkk from Seattle, WA wrote:

ive come up with several names for my specimen due to its size and its apparent ability to move: Audrey III (little shop of horror's "feed me Seymour!"), seymore, "IT" (not a reference to steven kings novel), and... Tetragrammaton; refers to the four hebrew letters usually transliterated as YHWH or JHVH, used as a biblical proper name for GOD (-: i took it from a bright, hot, dry, under watered, undernourished environment to a medium-low light, relatively cool (55-75 f), medium-high humidity environment (indoors-seattle, i let it dry out between waterings), and use an organic 4-4-4. also used some Superthrive vitamin/hormone to help the transition. there was some leaf drop, but it quickly came back with new growth: new leaves on an ever-elongating branch that can move a foot or two in one day for light or to reach something to kindly envelop. ive removed it from dried curly willow, a tv, and a piece of wall art --and i love it!! trains easily: just needs attention and a pet name.

6-10-05 time to repot... its currently planted in coco fiber and its original pot from the store. i would like something that would breakdown and work with a organic fertilizer, but this thing doesnt seem to like wet feet. a mixture maybe... anyone know whats worked well for them and there tetrastigma?

Berkeley, California