Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Voodoo'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Voodoo
Additional cultivar information:(aka AROmiclea, PP6121)
Hybridized by Christensen
Registered or introduced: 1984

Class:

Hybrid Tea

Orange and orange blend (ob)

Bloom Shape:

Bush

Patent expired

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Joliet, Montana

Sparks, Nevada

La Luz, New Mexico

On Jun 4, 2010, hanah from Lopez Island, WA wrote:

I picked-up this plant at the farm center - we were getting potasium for our water softner and some dog food and I was looking around the very small "garden center" and found this lonely rose, one small bud, beautiful color, so I bought it and planted it just outside the entry to the veggie garden, alongside the kiwi vines. Well, in this pacific northwest maritime climate (I am in the San Juan Islands) it worried me because it got black spot and as a Master Gardnerer I had incorrectly told clients with black spot, get rid of it, it's dying. Well I was so wrong, when I spotted it on my baby voodoo I picked the leaves off and destroy them, I knew where it had come from but I decided to cure it.

I babied it, cut it way back in the winter, cleaned all the ground around it and ... read more

On Apr 11, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 6121 has expired

On Aug 31, 2008, windyfreezethaw wrote:

Voodoo is happy in the shade of a pine in a somewhat protected area of my yard in Northern Nevada, z6a . With no extra winter protection it kept green leaves over winter this year. Nevada sun/ wind fades out blooms in a couple days but plenty of flowers. A little powdery mildew easily controlled.

On May 17, 2007, cactuspatch from Alamogordo, NM (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this rose. It grows very tall in my garden, much taller than the listed 48 inches. I prune it hard in January and try and keep it pruned to stay lower all summer but it can get to 6 feet tall if I take a trip! LOL! Then I need a ladder to cut it back a bit.

We had a rare hard freeze that killed the tree that used to shade this rose and the rose didn't do as well in 2011. I think it needs some shade in climates with good light like here in NM.

On Nov 13, 2003, noxiousweed from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

We decided this past year we wouldn't buy any new roses that didn't have strong fragrance. This rose has a sweet fragrance. In its first year with us, it's produced numerous perfect blooms and doubled its size. It's avoided health problems, which we've had a few of in our rose garden. A beauty!

On Sep 30, 2003, IwaTat62 from Seattle, WA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I grow this rose in the Pacific Northwest, on the north side of a hill right in front of my house so it lives in partial shade. It has a lovely citrusy fragrance, and attractive peachy to coral blooms.

On Mar 14, 2003, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This rose is very fragrant. I call it a fruity fragrance. It is a year-round bloomer in my climate (USDA zone 10 of inland California) whan I don't prune it heavily. Heavy pruning is necessary every other year because the bush is a vigorous grower. Somewhat prone to mildew.