Rose Pine, South African Acanthus, Jade Magic, Purple Shrimp Plant, Maracas Brazilian Fireworks
Justicia scheidweileri

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Justicia (jus-TEE-see-ah) (Info)
Species: scheidweileri (shide-wy-ler-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Amphiscopia pohliana
Synonym:Porphyrocoma lanceolata
Synonym:Porphyrocoma pohliana
Synonym:Orthotactus pohlianus

Partial to Full Shade

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Variegated

Veined

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Alameda, California

Sarasota, Florida

La Porte, Texas

Richmond, Virginia

On Mar 7, 2011, Victorine72 from Richmond, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

The beds in my zone 7 central VA garden are mostly shade. After exhausting the selection of shade garden plants available to me locally, I decided I would grow some specialty-type plants from seed last year. I bought a package of Brazilian fireworks seeds from one of my garden catalogs in hopes that the variegated foliage would add some contrast to my beds. The seeds were very slow to germinate (inside under a grow-light set up) but were surprisingly maintenance-free once developed. We had a brutal summer here last year, but my Brazilian fireworks plants seemed to tolerate the hugely variable conditions better than just about any other annual I planted. I have this year's crop under my grow-lights already, and I'm sure I will keep planting them for years to come.

On Mar 6, 2007, buttonsamy from San Rafael, CA wrote:

This is a fabulous plant! It looks great in tropical or shade gardens! I have a small patio surrounded by cinder blocks (ugly and somewhat prison-like) and I get little to no direct sun. This plant seems to be flourishing! I've planted purple and hot pink Impatiants around it as a border, which brings out the vibrant coloring of the "firework" blooms. Many of the plants have multiple blooms.

I also have some in the house. They seem to have adjusted nicely, and I plan on putting them in hanging baskets with some trailing vines in the summer.

I am hopeful that these plants WILL spread in my little garden. I just adore them! They stay small (8-12 inches tall) and are very easy to grow.

On Feb 28, 2006, Bluemoon33 from Saint Augustine, FL wrote:

I've had this plant in my yard for about 10 years. Bought it at a nursery in the area. It started slowly but then I noticed that I had new seedlings in the grass nearby. Since then it has migrated all over the area and I'd almost consider it invasive. I give it away to anyone who wants it!

On Sep 18, 2003, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I obtained a piece of this plant while working in Lake Wales, FL a few years ago and have been keeping it as a pot plant over the winters. If you leave the colorful bracts on the plant, you may get a lot of volunteer seedlings like I did. They seem to be the same as the parent plant. The plant likes some shade (dappled sun is ideal, or morning sun) and moist soil, but it seems to tolerate drying out without any noticeable effects. A common name is Karnival Plant.
Later note: Rose Pinecone is another common name for this plant (per MotherNature4 above). Found that there is a lot more information on the internet now about this plant than there was when I first got mine!

On Sep 17, 2003, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

A small plant was given to me by a lady from Jacksonville. She said it was easy to grow and always colorful. She was correct. I have had success in rooting cuttings. The flowers are purple but the bracts are maroon. The leaves are dark green with silver markings.

It is well worth growing.

A year later, several have sprung up from seed in pots of other plants. Transplanted them and they are doing fine. Hope they will bloom this spring.