PlantFiles: Bee Balm, Beebalm, Bergamot, Firecracker Plant, Horsemint, Mountain Mint, Oswego Tea
Monarda didyma 'Raspberry Wine'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Monarda (mo-NAR-da) (Info)
Species: didyma (DID-ee-muh) (Info)
Cultivar: Raspberry Wine

Thumbnail #6 of Monarda didyma by efbiosis

By chicochi3
Thumbnail #7 of Monarda didyma by chicochi3

Neutral yooperexpat On Jun 10, 2014, yooperexpat from Louisville, KY wrote:

I love bee balm, got the plant this year as a carried over quart perennial, good root system, very small growth. Planted in new bed (newspaper mulched grass. 6 hours sun, clay but with a lot of gravel in it). It's 3 feet high, 2 feet around and just starting to bloom. The foliage is great but so far I don't like the color. Kind of dull to my taste, guess I am still a big fan of RED bee balm. Got a hunch it's going to spread quickly so will move it back by the compost pile where it can go crazy and replace with a red.

Neutral yooperexpat On Jun 10, 2014, yooperexpat from Louisville, KY wrote:

Neutral wakingdream On May 8, 2013, wakingdream from Allentown, PA wrote:

I must keep this perennial in a sunken pot to control its tendency to run rampant in my rich soil. For years, its blossoms were marred by a small white worm that ate the blossoms from the inside out. I had no flowers despite trying hard to hand pick the pests once they showed themselves. I nearly gave up. Lately I have been pinching out the tips of each stalk early in the season, delaying flowering and thereby circumventing the appearance of the pests and achieving flowers a bit later than usual. I like the color and the fragrance, but it's not an easy plant.

Positive HamptonsGardener On Jul 4, 2011, HamptonsGardener from East Hampton, NY wrote:

The blooms look good this year due to all the rain.Definitely does best in a moist, sunny site. Make sure to mix with other perennials so something carries the planting after the Monardas fade out. I planted among cone flowers, butterfly bush and daylilies.

Jeff (hamptonsgarden.blogspot.com)

Neutral BUFFY690 On Jun 4, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I fell in love love love with this plant at work, I don't even have to bend down to appreciate this awesome bloom...LOL...I am adding it into my full sun area tomorrow in hope that it will just do its thang and reward me with awesome flowers and return power.

Positive themikeman On Jul 1, 2010, themikeman from Concord, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Raspberry wine beebalm is without a doubt the most beautiful beebalm plant ive ever had. it is not the hardiest variety as the first two years i had it,.. it was quite sickly..however it spreads more than any other variety i have including jacob's cline, and it's the most beautiful rose wine color i have in my garden, resembling my rose cleome and stare fire phlox in color..the only complaint i have is that they have become soo tall a couple have fallen over and have spread so fast after just 3 years that im gonna have to transplant a few already!! ..most beautiful monarda hands down!! mike.

Positive shortydingus On Jun 13, 2010, shortydingus from Tallahassee, FL wrote:

I planted this 3 years ago in my zone 8b garden and it has finally adapted to this area and opened the first flower after a solid week of ninety-plus degree days. It is in full sun and absolutely stunning. I give it no supplemental care.

Positive annakins On Nov 3, 2009, annakins from Aberdeen, SD wrote:

Absolutely love this plant. Mine gets alot of double heads on it. I pinch back the front half for longer bloom time, but really don't need to do this as it blooms for quite a while. Does get a little powdery mildew even though says resistant. Still worth growing.

Positive Ordelia On Jul 31, 2006, Ordelia from Banner Elk, NC (Zone 6a) wrote:

Say what you want about powdery mildew resistance, but Monarda Raspberry Wine grows in full sun with beautiful results, even if it is a little defoliated. A little neem oil will eliminate the powdery mildew, if applied regularly.

Negative kizilod On Jul 12, 2006, kizilod from Uxbridge, MA wrote:

This variety of Bee Balm is supposed to be resistant to powdery mildew, but my 'Raspberry Wine' (which I planted last fall) developed some today. However, it might be my fault. I think I have it planted in a bit too much shade and I haven't kept the soil constantly moist (which is supposed to discourage powdery mildew in Monarda). I'll move it this fall if I can find a more suitable space in my garden.

Positive smiln32 On Nov 9, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This gorgeous monarda is a clump-forming perennial that has raspberry flowers with dark green aromatic foliage. The leaves of Monarda can be used for teas and in salads. Butterflies and hummingbirds are attracted to them, too.

Raspberry Wine can reach a height of 36"and has a spread of 24-36. It blooms from July to August. It prefers partial sun.

Cullman, Alabama
Portsmouth, Virginia
Stafford, Virginia
Grandview, Washington
Ridgefield, Washington
Seattle, Washington (2 reports)
Wheeling, West Virginia