PlantFiles: Bee Balm, Beebalm, Bergamot, Firecracker Plant, Horsemint, Mountain Mint, Oswego Tea
Monarda didyma 'Jacob Cline'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Monarda (mo-NAR-da) (Info)
Species: didyma (DID-ee-muh) (Info)
Cultivar: Jacob Cline
Additional cultivar information: (aka Jacob Kline)

Herbs

Thumbnail #6 of Monarda didyma by soulflier

By Meredith79
Thumbnail #7 of Monarda didyma by Meredith79

Positive jv123 On Mar 14, 2014, jv123 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This particular bee balm has been evergreen for me here in zone 8b. I remove the larger stems after they stop looking so good around December, but the little seedlings never die during the winter. They look like a neat ground cover until about the first of March, when they start getting tall again. This plant is one of the more prolific reseeders I've ever seen. It's ok though, because they look so good.

Positive Kitte On Jul 17, 2011, Kitte from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Have this growing in a giant planter in SF. Manages to flower despite getting hardly any light (dappled shade under a bunch of trees). It is a bit lanky tho. I just cut it back a lot after flowering.

Spreads quite a bit... I can see why you'd want to grow this in a contained area.

Hummers seem to prefer the salvias over this.

Positive rntx22 On Sep 13, 2010, rntx22 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is my first year to grow this plant & I love it! I have it planted in a large hanging basket in front of the window so we can enjoy all the hummers that are obsessed with the red flowers. This is by far their favorite plant in the yard. Lots of blooms that last a long time.

Positive JayinMN On Jul 25, 2010, JayinMN from Hibbing, MN wrote:

Grows well in Zone 3a and the hummingbirds love it. I haven't had any problems with mildew and it seems to be pretty care free.

Negative Clary On Jul 12, 2010, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

A soft "country red" that fades noticeably as the flowers age.

Seemed rangy and weedy-looking and prone to wilt.

Positive themikeman On Jul 1, 2010, themikeman from Concord, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

the healthiest and fastest growing and spreading beebalm I have in my garden..very beautiful and probably best all around beebalm, however my very favorite color one and favorite beebalm in my opinion is still the raspberry wine, but it's not as healthy or prolific as the Jacob's Cline, but i still feel is my most favorite, Jacob's Cline is healthier and my second favorite after the raspberry wine. mike

Positive stormyla On May 14, 2008, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have this planted in both full sun as well as in full shade. It does well in both situations. Very dependable each year.

Positive Meredith79 On Oct 21, 2007, Meredith79 from Southeastern, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

My plants are in Part Shade, during the longest days of summer they get shade during mid afternoon. Then dappled light until sundown. My plants reached over 5 feet, I know this because I am only five feet and some were taller than me! I have sandy soil, and when the weather is dry so is my soil, so I use a soaker hose on these because they are very prone to powdery mildew. Mine start to get it as their bloom starts to slow down, they become very unnattractive, but when I can't stand them anymore, I just cut them right down to the ground and by late summer they have nice new foliage about a foot or so tall. Too bad my growing season is not long enough for them to rebloom, after such a haircut, but warmer areas might. I moved them to the middle and rear of my garden so the bare spots would not be noticed as much. These are worth having despite of ther powdery mildew, trust me! Everyone that sees them in my yard asks for some. The hummingbirds ignore everything else when these are in bloom. Just try to plant them in soil that does not dry out and if it does water with a soaker hose at their base for at least 4 hours and whatever you do, don't get water on there leaves! I have tried gathering seeds from these and red ones that are supposed to be the species and I have had no luck! I don't know if it is the birds or the little beetles that fall out of the dried flower heads but something must be eating them unless they just don't set seed. My other Monarda (pink and purple) have plenty of seed in them. They spread quickly though so you can always divide and transplant for more plants. I've heard some people say they are invasive, I don't think this is true. They spread but isn't that a good thing when a flower is so beautiful and beneficial to wildlife. I like the way they spread and fill in around my other perennials. It creates some beautiful combinations.

Positive LBCline On Jun 27, 2006, LBCline from Minnewaukan, ND wrote:

I had to add this flower to my garden as it shares my son's name (Jacob Cline). I was hoping it would grow in North Dakota and it is! It is just about ready to bloom. Jacob plans to show at 4-H Achievement Days.

Positive GeorgiaJo On Jun 15, 2006, GeorgiaJo from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I dig up clumps frequently to plant in other areas and give to friends. It does need some sun (my original patch had real problems until I moved the plants to a more sunny area).
But part sun/shade will work. The hummers really love it and the large red flowers are a knockout.

Positive pineapplesage On May 1, 2006, pineapplesage from Pewaukee, WI wrote:

This plant was the first that brought hummingbirds to my yard. Came back and spread quite a bit in my zone 5 garden. I did cut it back after blooming as it becomes quite unattractive.

Positive penpen On Mar 8, 2006, penpen from North Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

The only drawback to this plant is it doesn't bloom all summer but while it is in bloom it is probably the first one my hummers visit when they come into my yard each day. They absolutley love it and so do I.

Neutral CBernard On Oct 22, 2004, CBernard from Perris, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I just planted one of these only the nursery spelled it Jacob Kline. Has anyone in So California had success with this plant? All the websites I find on the Internet come from the East Coast. I live in Perris, California. Thanks, Chuck

Positive Vivify On Aug 12, 2004, Vivify from Marysville, WA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Attracts hummingbirds that have a light peacock color.

Positive herbman75 On Apr 14, 2004, herbman75 from Cornelia, GA wrote:

This plant is a member of the mint family, and will move readily throughout the garden. The variety 'Jacob Cline' is mildew resistant. Easy to propagate from cuttings. Occurs in the wild in partly shaded, low lying, moist areas. Makes a surprisingly long-lasting cut flower.

Positive Magazinewriter On Jun 29, 2003, Magazinewriter from Bloomfield Hills, MI wrote:

This plant looks great when paired with a tall yellow heliopsis (false sunflower). Other people have had problems with mildew; I have not.
I have given away many pots of bee balm to my friends, since it spreads profusely. Mine is in about two-thirds sun and one-third shade, and it grows straight up, about four feet tall.
People who plant it in more shady areas are getting blooms. However, in shade, the plant does not grow as straight or as tall.

Positive monsky On Jun 28, 2003, monsky from Lincoln, NE wrote:

I have enjoyed this plant for ten years. It is easy to grow and does well with part sun. My plants grew extremely tall this year and are blooming profusely now in June. When deadheaded, they sometimes come back and bloom again but not as strong. They are a bright addition in any garden. They can became invasive if they have a large area to take over, but easily managed.

Huntsville, Alabama
Wayland, Massachusetts
Westborough, Massachusetts
Winchester, Massachusetts
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Detroit, Michigan (2 reports)
Royal Oak, Michigan
Cathan, Washington
Concrete, Washington
East Port Orchard, Washington
Renton, Washington
Vancouver, Washington (2 reports)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin