PlantFiles: Japanese Wisteria
Wisteria floribunda

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Wisteria (wis-TEER-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: floribunda (flor-ih-BUN-duh) (Info)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Violet/Lavender

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By Clare_CA

Thumbnail #6 of Wisteria floribunda by philomel

By diggo1
Thumbnail #7 of Wisteria floribunda by diggo1

Positive lehua_mc On Nov 7, 2009, lehua_mc from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have both Chinese and Japanese wisteria, one each on either side of a round arbor. Vigorous yes, scary no. If you ever get the itch to wield your loppers, instead of attacking some other defenseless foundation shrub, go get your aggression out on these two. I'm stringing and binding mine in sculptural ways about the arbor, a worthwhile hobby. In fall they turn a gradient of pale green to clear yellow before falling, with very little brown stuff to sully it.

Positive crazy4brugs On Sep 2, 2007, crazy4brugs from Kansasville, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have grown this plant for the last 5 years and each year its more beautiful, It flowers in late May and then off and on over the summer. Yes I see where it can be invasive but it only needs a little pruning, and it's well worth the time it takes. If I had the room I'd grow another one.

Neutral frostweed On Dec 15, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Japanese Wisteria Wisteria floribunda is Naturalized in Texas and other States and is considered an invasive plant in Texas.

Neutral top2042 On Dec 30, 2005, top2042 from Mulberry, FL wrote:

I DO NOT KNOW THE AGE OF MY WISTERIA,IT WAS ALREADY PLANTED WHEN I BOUGHT MY HOUSE 13 YEARS AGO.IT CLIMBS UP A BLOCK WALL BY MY PATIO AND I PRUNE IT BACK .IT REALLY IS VERY LITTLE WORK FOR THE FLOWERS I ENJOY.

Positive GFT On Aug 19, 2005, GFT from Biloxi, MS wrote:

Although it sometimes pruned to resemble a shrub, Wisteria is a vine. The mature vine can be well over three or four inches thick and has a very thick, wood-like "bark;" the leaves are not showy but are attractive; the flowers bloom in spring in grape-like clusters, are very showy, and have a wonderful scent. It is easy to establish, easy to maintain and control, and very hardy.

A couple of warnings. Once established, Wisteria is virtually impossible to get rid of, so you should consider it a permanent planting. It is also REMARKABLY invasive. Pruning is easy enough--just break off unwanted vines by hand--but it must be done frequently; if not the vine will run out of control with tremendous speed. Be aware that vines can also run unnoticed at ground level and then pop up again in the most unlikely places.

Pruning Wisteria to create a shrub-like effect is time consuming and, I find, usually produces so-so results at best. I would recommend that you plant it on a very strong trellis or an unsightly hurricane fence or garden wall. In the deep south you also often see it planted near trees; the vine runs into the tree and the blossoms produce a spectacular effect. Do not, however, plant it on a wall of your house. The vine is very strong and can easily rip off shingles and siding.

Positive Hase1 On Apr 22, 2005, Hase1 from Denton, TX wrote:

When I bought my plant I made sure it had blossoms, don't know if that was important, but it has bloomed every spring. I let it grow over an arbor and many pictures have been taken standing under it. Very pleasant fragrance. Mine doesn't require any specific soil or watering, it's heat and cold resistant.
The wisteria is invasive in East Texas, climbers up to 40-50 ft covering the trees alongside the road, very beautiful in spring.

Positive ma1ka2yla On May 27, 2004, ma1ka2yla from Waynesville, OH wrote:

I bought it as a tree form of about 2 years old at a nursery and planted it be the corner, front of my house, with plenty of space from the house, of course. It's been three years since I planted it and it hasn't bloomed yet. I understand it may take a few more years. I did put bone meal on the ground under it last year, but was told not to fertilize it because it would not bloom. My daughter pruned it without my knowledge, and it put on about 6 limbs to each one she cut off!, which, of course made it really full. It is very pretty as a weeping standard without the flowers, but I look forward to its blooming! Can anyone tell me how to successfully prune it and when?!

Positive dtouchst On May 9, 2004, dtouchst from Chatham, VA wrote:

When I purchased the plant, the lady in front of me said.
That stuff pulled down my fence. I planted it anyway, I did not think it was doing very good until I notice it was climbing a tree. It will take over, I suggest cutting it back to keep it under control. Or you can give it something to grow on ( trelles ) or just let it go. I think for the appearance and smell it is worth the chance of it getting out of hand. Plant some!!!

Positive aegeri On Apr 1, 2004, aegeri from Guadalajara
Mexico wrote:

We have more than twenty beautiful Wisterias in the little town of Tapalpa, Mxico, in the mountains, above 2100 meters (6000ft.) the sea level.The winter here is mild -7C but summer is hot +32C. They perform excelent all the time. I found in a gardeners book years ago that Wisterias love Phosphorous and it is a real true!.We feed them every month with 3/4 of a can (of coke) filled with DAP (18 46 00) and they are grateful to us with their wonderful flowers (never bloom an the same time, by the way) and the shine of their leaves.

Negative PowPow On Mar 24, 2004, PowPow from Columbia, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I do no recall exactly when my mother planted this monster in their back yard, it has been many years back. This vine is now very "jungle" like. The base going around certain trees is several inches (3 or 4) in diameter and the "thing" just keeps on invading. I have seen it put out long (12' to 15') shoots along the ground in a spring and early summer. Please be careful when you select the vine for planting. It is beautiful in full bloom but may require a lot of space for spreading.

Positive vfenning On Mar 23, 2004, vfenning wrote:

I planted my Wysteria five years ago. She was slow in blooming but the last two years, she has produced a beautiful crown of sweet smelling flowers. My Wysteria is so showy, people walking by out house have to stop to smell the flowers because she is so fragrant. I have been extremely happy with my plant and I call her a "she" because she is so beautiful...I uploaded a current picture of her blooming now...She makes a wonderful addition to our fence too...

Positive tsynakow On Feb 15, 2004, tsynakow wrote:

I planted this "tree" two years ago. I fell in love w/it from a catalog. It was growing very full but not taller. I was confused, but after inspecting when I would mow around it I found that it had shoots growing under the grass. I counted about twenty! So, I went online to investigate. It needs to be pruned (the shoots) to grow like a tree or it will just spreads like a vine along the ground. I am very excited to see it this summer when it grows the most. You also must stake for a few years or it will bend over. I placed it in the backyard at focal point of the dinning room picture windows. I would like to know when it gets its flowers.

Headland, Alabama