PlantFiles: Chinese Wisteria
Wisteria sinensis

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Wisteria (wis-TEER-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: sinensis (sy-NEN-sis) (Info)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Violet/Lavender

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Thumbnail #1 of Wisteria sinensis by Kelli

Thumbnail #6 of Wisteria sinensis by Clare_CA

By palmbob
Thumbnail #7 of Wisteria sinensis by palmbob

Negative wynswid On Jun 14, 2011, wynswid from Garland, TX wrote:

My neighbor's kept invading my backyard and killed my plum tree. I'll never plant it.

Positive Intolerable On Aug 18, 2010, Intolerable from Anacortes, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have 3 Wisteria's in my backyard. I believe 2 are them same type, one different according to the blooms & leaves.
This year for the first time the two same type plants both gave me some extra blooms! Nothing like the first bloom of the season, but appreciated just as well.

Neutral PiBall On Aug 16, 2010, PiBall from Milford, NH wrote:

We now live in a home that was built in 1963, and I suspect the Wysteria in the backyard was planted at the time of construction. It is conveniently in the MIDDLE of the yard, in full sun and exposed to high winds. It has been pruned over the years to be a huge ball, rather than as a climber, and has an incredible trunk several inches in diameter. It is a Japanese variety, I believe, because it flowers BEFORE the leaves unfurl. This year it sent out several crawlers that I will cut back to the trunk this fall, after the leaf drop, when I can see better under it. It does, however, create a spectacular display in early spring! Fragrant and lovely, masses upon masses of hanging clusters of lilac/blue flowers. Fuzzy seed pods are of interest all summer into the winter. I put a shepard's hook by it with a bird feeder because the little birds love the massive "shrub" for cover, but alas, the pole is being swallowed by the vine. Overall, high maintenance but worth it. BTW: the leaves have been deep, rich green in spite of the New England drought this summer. No watering needed for this plant.

Negative GreenThumbMD09 On Jul 24, 2010, GreenThumbMD09 from Gaithersburg, MD wrote:

Our neighbors have this on their adjoining fence, and it's a real pest. Highly aggressive. Not surprising considering it's not native to North America. Stick with American Wisteria.

Negative garden4wildlife On Jul 20, 2010, garden4wildlife from Pinehurst, NC wrote:

If you are considering aquiring this plant, first check to see if it is invasive in your part of the country. There is much information about invasive species on the internet or from your native plant society. Much expense is incurred in attempts to remove it from roadsides, parks and other natural areas. It kills trees and all native undergrowth thus affecting the entire ecosystem. You may feel you can control it in your yard, but you don't see what happens in all the natural areas where the birds deposit its seeds.
There are native wisterias, frutescens and macrostachya, that are not invasive or such strong growers that they can kill large trees and are very attractive.

Positive SabraKhan On Jun 11, 2010, SabraKhan from Tiverton, RI (Zone 6b) wrote:

I bought my Wisteria sinensis vine at a local garden center. The particular cultivar was unspecified but I bought it because it already had a bloom on it and it was a very young plant in a small pot and smelled wonderful. My vine has the distinction of huge full blooms packed tightly on the vine before any sign of leaves are present. The leaves sprout only after the flowers are fading providing an unobstructed view of the numerous flowers.

Positive mswestover On Oct 2, 2009, mswestover from Yulee, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

When I purchased this property five years ago this plant had grown over everything it could reach. I trimmed it back to within 15 feet of the mother plant. I put some landscape timbers in the ground and cross hatched them with fishing pole bamboo in a circular shape, about 15 wide and 50 feet long and 8 feet high to form a little walkway under the flowers. Now the Wisteria has grown and intertwined with the bamboo and mostly supports itself. It is a show stopper in full bloom in March. You can walk under the flowers and watch the yellow bumble bees feasting for about a month before they fade. You have to keep on top of it by constantly trimming or it will grow, grow, grow everywhere you do not want it.

Neutral purplesun On Apr 14, 2009, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

I grow Chinese Wisteria in Sofia, Bulgaria. It's a humble plant in terms of ornamentality, with sparse foliage, smallish flower clusters and rampant growth. It does not seed itself at all here.
I got my plant as a 10 cm twig at the beginning of spring. When I planted it, the soil around it almost came loose and there were hardly any roots, but despite that, it established very well.
My Chinese Wisteria flowered approximately 2 years after being put in the soil, which is highly unusual, I think. I don't know what caused this rapid maturation. A very easy plant, overall.

Neutral Strazil On Oct 2, 2008, Strazil from Seattle, WA wrote:

Originally bought this chinese wisteria (9 years ago) to climb and cover an unattractive but useful woodshed in the far corner of our backyard. Though I've heard they can grow quite large, this one gets a lot of shade from a very large cherry tree, so the size can easily be controlled if you are vigilant about new shoots. I don't get a profusion of blooms, but a decent amount each year. BUT if I had to choose again, I think I would have gone with Virginia Creeper, a much more attractive display throughout the seasons.

Positive tlmiller39 On Jun 24, 2008, tlmiller39 from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

We purchased my mother-in-law's home about 10 years ago, she planted wisteria to cover a hole from a dead tree about 20 years ago,

Wow...the bush is about 40 feet across and about 10 feet high, we have only pruned it once and has grown back plus... it is beautiful when/if it blooms. Wasn't sure what to do with it, husband wants to cut it down, i am against that, blooms are way to pretty.

Neutral blufour On May 1, 2008, blufour from Cantril, IA wrote:

I'm not sure I can say neutral is my experience with Wisteria. I tryed for years to grow different ones I bought. Finally I got one from Earl May here in Iowa and it survived. After probably 2 years it had enough growth to actually put on a couple or three blooms. I also, in the meantime, purchased a Wisteria tree which became established more quickly and bloomed I think the first year. Then I moved! Had to begin all over and so far I've had probably 3 Wisteria vines, lost the first 2, and looks like I'm losing the third one. What has happened each time is those late freezes or just a hard winter. If I could get them through a few winters in order to get good woody growth I think they'd be established enough to take the extreme cold. We live on a "bottom" ground area and we get frost and freezes when others don't. When I did get growth out of my Wisterias they gave me no trouble with spreading here in Zone 5 of Iowa.

Neutral macybee On Jun 30, 2007, macybee from Deer Park, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I shared in 2003 - No flowers just vine. Still no flowers just vine and other vines growing on it. Air potato, creeping dogwood, purple passion.
That works. I just trim it when it reaches out to grab something else.

Positive Lily_love On Mar 16, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

I've one of the Chinese Wisteria, planted one year on my old property. When I moved (the vine was probably 2 year-old), the taproot was deep that I needed a water lancer (spl.?) to help dug it out the ground. Good thing I did, for there were no wild growth has been sighted at the old stumping ground.

Since then, this once a toddler, now 6-7 year-old-vine being kept confined in a whiskey-barel is rewarding us with beautiful, prolific flower buds. (It's prunned into a small tree form), for the first time. In general, vigorous pruning, and use No nitrogen, or Potash, but strickly tripple Phosphate fertilizer to encourage blooming. It worked for me.

As far as help to identify which variety we have. Once can see when the various vines timing of blooms, and its unique habits.

1. Chinese varities, blosoms begins after the leaves unfurl. in the Spring, then sporadically when the weather cools down in the early Falls. Vigorous grower.

2. Japanese varities; blosoms BEFORE the leave erupted. Most frequently used in "Bonsai"? Vigorous grower.

3. American varities; Bloom well after the leave are out, in mid springs, and sporadically all through the growing seasons. Less vigorous grower.

Neutral frostweed On Dec 15, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Chinese Wisteria Wisteria sinensis is Naturalized in Texas and other States and is considered an invasive plant in Texas.

Neutral Junebug62 On Jun 25, 2006, Junebug62 from Swansea, SC wrote:

This vine has to be pruned not only on top but also at the roots, it will send feeder roots up to forty feet from the original roots. Treat this vine poorly, don't water alot put it in poor soil, will grow in sand, be aggressive about pruning both above and below ground and you will be rewarded with the beautiful blooms.

Neutral xwabbit On May 4, 2006, xwabbit from West Orange, NJ wrote:

It has been exciting trying to ID all the stuff that are sprouting up and peeking about. It's my first spring at his house and most discoveries have been happy surprises.

I had no clue what was the mass of branches and stems, which runs around the entire width of the lot of my house (68), and up on trees about 20ft tall when I moved in here last October. When they finally started to show their true colors a week ago, I spent a lot of time crawling around, doing impossible Yoga maneuvers and trying to trace back to where the monstrosity is rooted.

It has spiraled up a few of my neighbor's 20ft trees and on top of my Lilac, crushed and killed a few of what look like remains of smaller shrubs, and the killer tendrils are all around my Lilac branches.

Had I known that I already own this plant and will be spending a good season or two exterminating it, I wouldn't have bought another 3 of these from eBay ...

Good thing I planted them in a container. I will train these and braid them into a tree, while I pray for the monster vines to go bye-bye in a different part of my yard.

Negative gooley On Mar 23, 2006, gooley from Hawthorne, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I'm told that there is a similar vine, a relative (same genus, different species) that is less vigorous and native to the US. As I write, the Chinese wisterias are in bloom here, all along the old railroad cut and in various disturbed areas: it's the spring equinox more or less. They're pretty. They're ubiquitous. They're impractical to get rid of. They're crowding out a mess of native species. Just don't plant them. I see from the reviews that few people will agree with me.

Positive WUVIE On Mar 19, 2006, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

All too often people admire the blooms, plant Wisteria and then regret having done so.

Homework, you must do your homework!

If you simply take the time to learn what you are planting, how it behaves and what to expect, the Wisteria can not be topped for a gorgeous and very bold statement in the garden. I repeat, in the garden. Not next to a house.

Not for couch potatoes, the Wisteria will need pruning and a bit of cleanup to keep it looking it's best. We have Wisteria in several colors and quite frankly, I'm not giving mine up any time soon.

Stunning!

The multitude of seeds can be shared with friends, and the pods make great kindling for the fireplace.

Negative MotherNature4 On Feb 13, 2006, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I do not grow this plant. Though it is beautiful when blooming, this is an extremely invasive plant. It will uproot the foundation of your house or completely smother a tree. My recommendation is to not plant it.

Positive TBGDN On Feb 12, 2006, TBGDN from Macy, IN wrote:

I've always admired the characteristics of this plant. But, I am quick to point out it is not for the 'faint of heart', or those who don't like a lot of pruning. This plant is pruned to about 7-8' and has a main trunk of about 1.5" diameter. I try to keep it at minimum height to encourage bloom and keep lateral growth under control. It first bloomed for me in spring 2005 after severe pruning and copious feedings of Triple Super Phosphate. I give it a positive rating because of its beautiful clusters of lavender blue flowers, and I like the foliage after bloom.

Positive rondaross On Nov 14, 2005, rondaross from Deer Park, TX wrote:

My husband and I have a Purple Wisteria trained up a poll in our backyard. We keep it trimmed along the trunk up to about midway the height of the vine (13') and it puts out tons of flowers around March-April with no fail. It does receive full sun with the exception of early morning due to a neighbors Pecan tree. But we've had no troubles and really after the blooms are gone, we do a drastic trim on branches and new trailers and keep it short during the rest of the year. It fills out quickly with leaves once the blooms drop. We do get occassional blooms throughout the year because of our constant trimming back.

Positive RRRupert123 On Jul 9, 2005, RRRupert123 from Solon, IA wrote:

I LOVE THIS PLANT!!! it is so beautiful. and i think it is kind of neat how it makes so many runners and takes over things. atleast it isn't like kudzu!
I have a chinese wisteria tree, purple, and 2 chinese wisteria vines, i think. i got them in south carolina. they grow wild every where down there! i think when they set out seed pods it's cool too, cuz they hang there and it's almost as pretty as the flowers.
I'm trying to layer them into pots, I--__--__- ( tried to do a picture of the vine) w/ a vine off of the side, down into the ground, up and then down again into the ground and then up again. if anyone has had luck layering them like this, tell me.

Neutral theresamendoza On Jun 14, 2005, theresamendoza from Hesperia, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted my chinese wisteria three years ago and no blooms so far.
This year has been cooler than normal so maybe that has something
to do with it. I'm in zone 8a, high desert. I have seen maybe 3 wisterias blooming in our tri-cities communty. It is a rare plant here.

Positive teatimer On Jun 12, 2005, teatimer from Lavrica
Slovenia (Zone 7a) wrote:

Ours has started blooming in its second year. We prune it quite severely. To avoid being strangled we take good care not to fall asleep next to it.

Neutral PlantmanPatric On Apr 26, 2005, PlantmanPatric from Statesville, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Chinese Wisteria grows in North Carolina with the same rambunctiousness and voracity that kudzu does, but at least Wisteria is pretty and smells good.

I have recently purchased a tree wisteria. It has only been in the ground about a month, but I have my first leaves budding out. I have a cousin that has a wisteria vine that her grandmother trained into tree form. This one is over 100 years old. She has to constantly trim and train it to keep it looking like an ornamental tree, but it is beautiful this time of year.

Here's to hoping I can repost into a positive later on.

Negative jacqofhearts On Apr 22, 2005, jacqofhearts wrote:

Nasty plant. It's great in the open outdoors and on telephone lines (those things need all the sprucing up nature can give them!) but not in my garden! Geez I've got at least two weeks worth of cutting, digging and wheezing to even get the darn thing under control. Whoever lived here before me must have given up! Can't blame 'em though! Those runners they send out are tricky. Just when you think you've won a battle - lo and behold you trip over another runner! Wish me luck! And to think, I almost felt guilty for wanting to kill it!

jacqofhearts

Positive tiffcrum On Mar 16, 2005, tiffcrum from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

I planted two Wisteria Sinesis about 3 years ago over an arbor. They are filling in quite nicely but are not overpowering whatsoever. I am in zone 5 and the cold seems to keep the Wisteria from being so invasive. The blooms are gorgeous and very fragrant. This is my absolute favorite plant. I prune it several times a year. I have heard that the more distress you cause to the plant helps it flower more.

Neutral DDYE On Oct 28, 2004, DDYE from Mer Rouge, LA (Zone 8a) wrote:

it will take over the world. I go about 5 feet from the main plant and chop with an ax to keep it from going everywhere. I like the carolina wisteria that is not invasive but it is hard to find and the only way that we have been able to propagate is by laying down a vine and covering with dirt for 6 mos or so.
all of my friends want a piece of it and so far I haven't been able to supply all of them with a cutting. The flowers are a very dark purple and smell so sweet, it blooms twice a year. mine is 6 or 7 years old and has never put out a runner.

Positive lmelling On Oct 27, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Yes, this is an invasive little critter, but when it blooms, it's absolutely beautiful. I started 2 here back in 1997 that were supposed to be about 4 years old. I waited and waited for them to bloom - nothing! But boy, did they grow! I had one planted next to my house and made a trellis for it, but I couldn't keep it contained. After 5 years with no blooms, and it growing like wildfire, I decided to move it to an area where it could grow along our fence and not get in the way. Well...the main trunk died! But meanwhile, back where I had taken it out volunteers were coming up everywhere! I dug and transplanted several of these to the fence and they have now taken off - but I keep finding more volunteers that have now grown around both corners of the house - will this thing ever stop? I keep cutting and digging and they keep coming!!! If it weren't so funny, I'd be really mad.

Meanwhile - the second wisteria still wasn't blooming either. I have it growing on a 3 sided lattice trellis that surrounds our propane tank to hide it. It has now filled all three sides and we have to continually cut back on top and inside the screen so the guy can fill the tank. In 2001, in frustration that it didn't bloom I read up on how to make it bloom...the answer - PHOSPORUS!

HOW TO MAKE IT BLOOM:
In late fall, dig a shallow trench around the main trunk, pour superphosphate along the trench, shovel over and water thoroughly. Next spring (unless late frost kills the buds), you should have beautiful blossoms! It worked for me and it bloomed well the first year, and less so in 2002. The blooms were killed off by late frost in 2003 and I didn't have any blossoms this year, so this fall I'm going to do the phosphorus again.

Positive pokerboy On Sep 17, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

A very vigorous climber producing pretty blue or white flowers in Spring. Wisteria is deciduous. Mine, after 20 years of growth has a huge base and spreads rapidly. Good for a pergola or patio that needs to have winter sun and summer shade. Exteremly vigorous. pokerboy.

Positive conniecola On Jul 15, 2004, conniecola from Lincoln, NE wrote:

I LOVE this plant! Mine is fairly new(3 years old). It had beautiful purple clusters last year, but this year nothing yet. I heard that you can train it to be a tree or a vine. I am trying to train it by having it go along the length of my wooden fence. Are you supposed to prune it in the fall? and how far down do I cut it back? I think we have one on our chain length fence also. It was here when we moved in. My husband has tried to get rid of it, but can't. It is twining through the fence, but this summer, I saw these totally beautiful purple clusters that smelled wonderful, and told him not to get rid of it. I love to look at the older more established ones when they are in full bloom!

Positive Khyssa On Jul 14, 2004, Khyssa from Inverness, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Established wisteria vines do tend to be extremely invasive but to me the blooms and their fragrance make them worth the trouble of maintaining them. I have my wisteria growing along a 4 ft high chain link fence where it is competeing with honesuckle vines. When containing the vines I find the best way is to heavily trim it back several times a year after it blooms in the spring. If the plant won't bloom try putting used coffee grounds, tea bags, and banana peels around the vines base. I found that this really boasts the plants overall health and will work with a wide range of plants. Also, in my experience wisteria seems to grow best in acidic soil, particularly around large pine trees. If you try to grow wisteria from seed you will have to wait years before it will bloom. Propagation from cuttings or by air rooting is probably best.

Positive uofagirl On May 18, 2004, uofagirl from Orrville, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Have a 10+ old wisteria chinensis w/o flowers in part sun already, but bought this blooming 4 year old baby and put it in full sun in hopes to continue its flowers next season.

Positive AliceinCT On May 14, 2004, AliceinCT from Northfield, CT wrote:

This is not a plant for sissies. We bought our "Alba" (white) tree wisteria (basically a regular one trained to stand on it's own) from WFF in 1999. We live in Litchfield, CT (zone 5).

It took 3 years for the tree to bloom - 2002 and the next day a hail storm destroyed all the flowers. Last year nothing - now this spring we have 30 buds! I read that a harsh pruning of wisterias can "encourage some leaf buds to change to flower buds"

So now I'm on a mission to figure this out. I'll prune the tendrils throughout the summer and maybe even do a root pruning. Then in the fall, a hard pruning back to 5-6 buds on each 6" stub. If I'm right and it's all in the pruning - we should have blooms again next year.

Positive greenthumbscott On Mar 13, 2004, greenthumbscott wrote:

The wait is worth it. I live in central Pennsylvania (not quite sure what zone it is.) I planted a Chinese wisteria 9 years ago and it took 7 years to bloom. The first year it only had a few flowers but last year was magnificent. The entire plant was nothing but clusters of blue-purple flowers. Neighbors would stop and comment on it and let me know that in a slight breeze, they could smell it several houses away.

The base is now about 5" in diameter and I have it growing on a 6' privacy fence on the side of my yard in full sun.I want to trim it but after seeing it bloom last year, I'm afraid I'll inhibit its flowering.

Negative HarryNJ On Mar 1, 2004, HarryNJ from Neptune, NJ (Zone 7b) wrote:

2'' is nothing, I've seen the stems reach 4-5" in diameter growing in trees. I've also seen these same vines crush a garage when a storm brought the vines tumbling down. Along with greenbriar, Hall's honeysuckle, and multiflora rose probably the most obnoxious plant I can think of. They are nice when in bloom, but don't even do that consistently, putting on a great dispaly some years and not flowering at all others. I wouldn't recommend planting this unless you have the time and energy to devote to keeping it under control. I've been battling it for years here. It even seems to throw out runnerlike like vines from the base of its trunk that travel over the soil surface (until they hit something they can grow up and smother) and can reach 30-40 feet in a single year.

Negative jesup On Feb 25, 2004, jesup from Malvern, PA (Zone 7a) wrote:

While it's pretty when/if it blooms....

It's very invasive! At the house I bought it's taken over most of the sunny slope (45 deg.) below house. It's strangling azaleas, dogwoods, firebushes. One magnolia tree (6-8" trunk) had this twining up it with a 2" vine that was at least 1/2-3/4" embedded into the trunk. There are hundreds and hundreds of vines everywhere, criss-crossing, twining around each other, etc. Probably covers at least 1/2-3/4 acre.

I'm fighting to try to at least limit the spread and damage to the shrubs and trees. I have no illusions that I'll ever be able to fully control it and plant the slope the way I'd like.

Positive crazyplantlover On Feb 23, 2004, crazyplantlover from Pineville, MO wrote:

I just bought 2 rooted stems from Walmart and am looking forward to getting em to grow i plan on planting them along side a 60-70 yr old all oak chicken barn does anyone live in zone 6 not sure if its A or B i live in Missouri on the Mo Ark line the soil around the barn is fairly rich and is a combonation of soil and 60-70 yr old chicken manure , hay, and grass clippings ,any extra informatipon about the plant would be greatly appreciated

Positive Greenknee On Nov 24, 2003, Greenknee from Chantilly, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have 3 wisterias, and have had the same problems with getting them to bloom. They are very strong growers, and generally need to be pruned very hard to induce blossoming in plants less than 10 years old. I suggest letting them grow to get a little size then begin cutting back all side shoots to only 3 to 5 buds where you want flowers, otherwise cut back to main stem(s).

If planted in rich soil (a mistake!) you may also have to root prune to induce stress, as they bloom best when stressed, as by pruning, etc. Those on display, as on the National Mall in DC, have trunks 6" to 8" in dia, and are pruned ruthlessly at leat twice a year, August and agin in February. Likewise the fabulous collection at Dumbarton Oaks, as well as those at Filoli, in CA.

Neutral emfarley On Nov 23, 2003, emfarley from Houston, TX wrote:

I have now owned 3 wisterias(don't know which varieties)and the 2 previous ones have bloomed the 1st year planted. Now I have had one planted for 4 years - not a single bloom , but unbelievable foliage. Have been told some take as long as 9 years to produce. I'm too OLD to wait.

Positive nipajo On Oct 11, 2003, nipajo from Dallas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted mine in front of the garage and now it's runners all over the place. In the alley, on the patio, growing on my neighbors trees. Mine blooms in the spring and then sporadicaly for the rest of the season. I live in the zone 8 area. It has gone through several trellises, cement blocks and through the garage. But it is one of the first bloomers of the spring and the smell is spectacular.

Positive seniorgotit On Oct 10, 2003, seniorgotit from North Charleston, SC wrote:

I have trained and cut mine to be a small bush. I was given a cutting already rooted and it bloomed that year. My cousin planted seed and in two years it has not bloomed, so if I wanted another one, I sure wouldn't want to wait on the seed plant to bloom.

Neutral koimiss On Jun 30, 2003, koimiss from Allegan, MI wrote:

I am in Zone 5. I can't remember which Wisteria I have, and I certainly can't tell from the flowers because it isn't blooming!

It is a nice size vine, though only about 12 ft tall right now. I have one on either side of an arbor 9ft tall and 4 ft across. I am beginning to have nightmares about what will happen back there when this thing really takes off. I have only had it two years. I haven't pruned it much yet, and I understand it isn't quite as fast growing in our zone. I sure would like to see it flower though. The ones where I bought it from bloomed the first year and every year since. I am holding my opinion to neutral for now!

Negative purplehbee On Jun 30, 2003, purplehbee from Deer Park, TX wrote:

My plant bloomed for a couple of years and has not bloomed again, but the vine keeps on growing and growing. Its in full sun. I want some beautiful flowers!!

Positive Stonebec On Apr 20, 2003, Stonebec from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I am not sure if I have the Japanese or Chinese wisteria. I understand it has something to do with whether it coils to the right or left. I braided 5 main stems together to form a tree-like structure with mine but it still needs a trellis to grow on because it is fast! Mine has it's first bloom before it gets any leaves, about early March here in Fort Worth. It goes through about 5 bloom cycles a year. We trim it when it reaches the peak of the roof of the house. Our trellis is over the air conditioning unit and it really does keep our electric bill down. I love the smell and don't bother the bees. We planted one of our wisterias next to our pine tree last winter and it has started up it. It will look so marvelous with blooms hanging from the pine. We are constantly catching it sending tendrils across the driveway. Very easy to break. Flowers do not hold their scent if cut and brought in the house - darn it! I love it, faults and all.

Neutral PHurt On Mar 30, 2003, PHurt wrote:

I purchased a house about three years ago that had this tree in a corner of my back deck (about 15 ft away from the house). This entire area was was covered only with 2X2 strips spaced about 8 inches apart and this tree tangled around these strips of wood. It was winter when I bought the house but I began getting information on this tree because I was really excited about having it.

As soon as it started warming up, I noticed the blooms, then the beautiful grape-life clusters. This lasted no more than a week. Then as it continued to get warmer, bees were everywhere! It was so bad, you could not go around it sometimes. It is so invasive, that it is gets around the siding on my house, it will grow under it and pull it off.

I usually have to cut it back at least every 30 days or it covers up a sky light and begins growing into the siding at the other end of my deck. I am constantly nailing back down the wooden strips it grows around. This tree is simply unbelievable. It is definately a high-maintenance tree because of the pruning. The blooms do not last anytime at all and the bees are a nightmare (I forgot to say anything about all the birds that love it too.)

So why do I keep this tree? It is very amusing to me. I never know where it will grow next. At one time, I thought my neighbor had one also. IT WAS MINE! She never said anything and until the first time I pruned it, I did had no idea. It had grown over and through the fence and started making its way to her house. It also amazes me how much they grow in the wintertime. Even when they are all brown, the stems will begin creeping toward my skylight.

As far as my overall experience with this tree, I am not sure. You can definately see some negatives but it really is entertaining and beautiful at the same time. I'll let other readers be the judge, based on my experiences.

Positive Kelli On Mar 19, 2003, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

In my area, Chinese Wisteria blooms from late winter to mid spring. Overall my experience with it has been positive, but it is a vigorous plant that needs to be kept under control. One of my pictures shows the plant along the edge of the roof and it is planted in the back of the house, giving it a length of probably 50 feet. We have to keep it out of the shutters or it would pull them apart. The plant will self-sow. The seed pods are interesting. I like how they feel. If I didn't know the name of the plant, I would call it velvet bean. The seeds ripen in the fall. One half of the seed pod pops off and the seeds are flung for many feet in all directions. This is audible. The flowers are slightly fragrant, making this a plant for the senses of sight, hearing, touch, and smell.

Haleyville, Alabama
Hesperia, California
Lakewood, California
Oakhurst, California
Phelan, California
San Diego, California (2 reports)
Northfield, Connecticut
Wilmington, Delaware
Inverness, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Vero Beach, Florida
Yulee, Florida
Columbus, Georgia
Hinesville, Georgia
Winterville, Georgia
Sandpoint, Idaho
Thomasboro, Illinois
Avon, Indiana
Indianapolis, Indiana (2 reports)
Macy, Indiana
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Bonneau, South Carolina
North Augusta, South Carolina
Pelion, South Carolina
Summerville, South Carolina (2 reports)
Swansea, South Carolina
Oliver Springs, Tennessee
Pocahontas, Tennessee
Baytown, Texas
Center, Texas
Deer Park, Texas (3 reports)
Desoto, Texas