Tomato 'Taxi'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Taxi
Additional cultivar information:(aka Yellow Taxi)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Scio, Oregon

King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

Liberty Hill, Texas

On Jul 31, 2011, flamontagne from Trois-Rivieres, QC wrote:

I picked my first taxi yesterday and was a bit disappointed. Not as flavorful as I would have hoped. The color is beautiful though. Very deep and shiny yellow... like a lemon!

The plants are weak and frail compared to the other varieties in my garden and the productivity is average.

I won't replant this variety next year. Too many good varieties out there and not enough space in the garden.

On Aug 3, 2009, BR_in_VA from Brandy Station, VA wrote:

My Yellow Taxi plant was extremely flimsy. Even with it caged, it was too weak to support the tomatoes. I have several different tomato plants but this one was the only one with strength issues. I did have a few turn early but the flavor was very bland. Sun scalding became an issue once the season turned hot. I much prefer the Lemon Boy and will not plant the Yellow Taxi again.

On Jul 8, 2009, BillSamuel from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

The plant sets fruit very early. I had a number of tomatoes on the vine in May. But that did not equate to an early harvest. The first tomatoes grew to full size, and then stopped maturing. They haven't changed in size and color for weeks. The plant looks very healthy and continues to set fruit. But other varieties that set fruit much later have caught up and passed the Taxi. It does not appear to be an early producer, although it sets fruit very early.

On Jun 5, 2009, thriftygking from Maumelle, AR wrote:

This is an incredible plant! It is thriving well in the wide ranging Arkansas weather. It sets it fruit very early. Mine has about thirty blooms right now as well as 8 developing fruits. The Taxi is a determinate so you get a lot of tomato in the same relative time period, which is nice when your making salsa or sauce. This is my third year gardening but this is the second year i planted a taxi. Its a good early tomato because it set fruit so early, only 60days baby! A great tomato for salads and salsa. Its vibrant color and smooth texture have helped make the taxi a fixture in my garden.

On Feb 2, 2009, reload1 from Mapleton, ND wrote:

Bright yellow mid-sized fruit.Somewhat odd shapes.Grew well for me and since it is open polinated,I kept some seed to try again this coming year.

On Aug 26, 2008, ByndeweedBeth from scio, oregon, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

Grows well here in the Willamette Valley. I actually like the mild taste.

On Sep 1, 2006, jackrabbit from Portland, OR wrote:

Grows well in Portland. Very early producer (4th of July) but with a muted flavor. Good in soups and herbed tomato salads.

On Mar 21, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Very early. Compact plants that work well in containers. Kind of bland.

On Jan 13, 2005, cottonpicker from Audubon, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Taxi is bland tasting. I prefer Lemon Boy for yellow tomatoes.

On Apr 13, 2003, oppy from Cambridge, MA wrote:

Okay for short seasons.

On Oct 2, 2002, Pala from Olympia, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Taxi is early and full flavored, an excellent choice for the Pacific Northwest. Friends and family tried it and it was definitely a hit. Everyone was asking for that "little yellow tomato." It doesn't have the content of the nutritious lycopene, which is found in high levels in red varieties. However, Taxi is still worth growing for contrast and earliness. It's a welcome relief from store-bought tomatoes, at the very least.

On Aug 2, 2002, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Very early here in West KY,Taxi has uniform,unblemished fruit.It just has a bland taste when compared with other OP varieties. I know that yellow tomatoes have a higher sugar content than their red cousins,but the sugars tend to wash out when tasted.

It makes a great early tomato,and being determinate,most fruit ripen at about the same time.I just would rather wait a week or two and let my first tomato explode with flavor.Probably a nice tomato for cool short seasons though.