Clove Currant, Buffalo Currant, Yellow-flowered Currant, Golden Currant, Missouri Currant
Ribes odoratum

Family: Grossulariaceae
Genus: Ribes (RYE-bees) (Info)
Species: odoratum (oh-dor-AY-tum) (Info)
Synonym:Ribes aureum var. villosum

Midland, Texas

Spokane, Washington

Washtucna, Washington

On May 6, 2015, janelp_lee from Toronto, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

Love its bright fragrant flowers in spring, edible fruit in summer and nice red fall colour! So easy to grow from cuttings.

On Aug 15, 2014, klinc1234 from Little Rock, AR (Zone 7b) wrote:

I planted two clove currants last spring and they are now about 4 feet tall. Mine made a small amount of fruit this spring - and the flavor was good, but surprising - something like SweeTarts (the candy).
Both my plants have gone through a bit of an ugly period in late summer the last two years. Even in part shade with good air circulation, plenty of water, and a mild summer this year - the humidity and heat seems to be a tough combination for them. On the bright side they've had beautiful fall foliage and are quite attractive spring and fall.

On Aug 7, 2014, DavidLMo from St Joseph, MO wrote:

Awesome clove scent which can be smelled 30 feet away. Cute yellow flower. Fairly easily grown from seed in NW MO zone 5b.

On Mar 20, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

The federal ban on importing Ribes plants into the US may have been lifted, but fourteen (14!) states (mostly in the northeast and upper midwest) still have varying restrictions on planting various Ribes.

This species is an alternate host to white pine blister rust, a serious problem for a major timber crop in the east. Some Ribes species and some Ribes cultivars of susceptible species are resistant to the disease.

Before planting this in the east and upper midwest, consult your state's Department of Natural Resources to find out whether planting this is legal.

On Aug 21, 2012, Carolla from Washtucna, WA wrote:

I bought a couple of these a few years back. This year they have borne fruit, which ripened to a lovely rich sweet flavor. They are not only pretty, they are my favorite currant flavor to date!

I live in Zone 5, but it is hot, dry (we keep our currants watered), windy, very cold and windy in the winter. I usually stick with zone 4 and tougher plants. My Clove Scented Currants are thriving.

On May 23, 2011, ripleydoodle from Eckerman, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I first came in contact with this plant at my nephew's house. I smelled it from across the yard and followed my nose. The scent is truly amazing. My nephew's was planted outside his window, though, and he said it got overwhelming when the bush was in full bloom.

I had to have one of my own, so I bought one from a mail order nursery last spring. It was about 4" tall. I sat it in the shade until I could plant it...and promptly forgot about it. This spring I re-discovered it, and thought it was a goner. It had been tipped over at some point and half the soil was gone out of the pot. I sat it with my other containers hoping against hope that it was alive. It is! It's blooming now, May 23, (at about 5" tall) and smells just as delicious as I remember.

I ... read more

On May 24, 2010, lmacdesigns from Alamosa, CO wrote:

I had no idea what was popping up under my Elm tree. Now it has spread to at least five, the oldest at two feet high. This year, I noticed it has popped up under my Birches about 15-20 feet away. I have no idea where it came from. At first I thought it was some kind of columbine as the leaves are similar when they are young. I decided to let them grow to see what would happen. I kinda liked the green shrub growing near the tree and behind my columbines. This year, the oldest plant bloomed a yellow flower that was very sweet. The flower had a clove smell. I went to the Internet to find the name, finally very curious. At first I thought it was a kind of gooseberry but the leaves weren't right. It was this website that answered all my questions! It must be a clove currant. I am excited to see... read more

On May 7, 2009, macklb from Fairfield, CA wrote:

The blossoms have a wonderful perfume, but I like the taste of the berries even better. They turn black before they are ripe, so leave them a week or two and you have a delicious treat in store.

On Sep 25, 2006, Magpye from NW Qtr, AR (Zone 6a) wrote:

The fragrant yellow flowers have top blue-green leaves that turn yellow in the fall.
This adaptable plant is good in sun or shade and is hardy in Zones 4 to 6 and sometimes 7.
Avoid using this plant near white pines, since it is an alternate host of the deadly disease .. white pine blister rust.

On Jul 1, 2003, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grow this wonderful clove-scented plant in Southeast Missouri, where it's fragrance drifts across the yard in early spring. It has never set any fruit for some reason.
It has suckered into a large thicket that I contain by mowing. The plant I have came from my husband's grandmother's house near Mingo National Wildlife Area and she told me it sprouted from a dropped bird seed. It is one of my all-time favorite plants for fragrance. I had to keep it watered when I first transplanted it back in 1988, but I never need to water it anymore, no matter how dry it gets here in August. It is growing on the northern exposure of a wooded area, and does not sucker back into the shade, only out toward the sun. I have no insect or disease problems with it at all.

On May 17, 2003, gonedutch from Fairport, NY wrote:

The ribes species was banned from import to the US for many decades because it was linked to causing pest infestations to indigenous firs and pines. Now that the ban has been lifted we can again enjoy the currant and gooseberry fruits for jams and wines, or for just eating off the bush. Watch out for those barbs! Suggestion: use a fork to harvest small currants.

And if you like the wonderful fragrance of the Clove Currant you'll love its delicious bronze gooseberry fruit.

On Apr 13, 2003, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenes
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant scents the air around it for quite a distance over a fairly long flowering season in the spring. It is a little untidy in habit, but responds well to trimming.
It has the added bonus of attractive autumn leaf colour.
It grows away well once established in my heavy clay soil in Kent UK

On Mar 19, 2003, CanadaGoose from Oakville, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

Very early flowering shrub, light yellow flowers with intense perfume. Makes an effective hedging plant.