Ruby Ball, Moon Cactus 'Hibotan'

Gymnocalycium mihanovichii

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gymnocalycium (jim-no-kal-LISS-ee-um) (Info)
Species: mihanovichii (me-han-oh-VIK-ee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Hibotan
Synonym:Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var. friedrichii
Synonym:Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var. hibotan

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By grafting

Alden, New York

Spring, Texas

Quilcene, Washington

On Aug 21, 2012, avaperry from Fort Collins, CO wrote:

My flower fell off about a year ago,but the plant it is still growing strong, it now has long looking arms with brown stems. What do I do, will it grow a flower ever again, can I grow more from the attachments, if so how can I do this.

On Mar 10, 2012, n0greenthumb from Pomona, CA wrote:

just got this cute plant, I got one hot pink, one pink, one yellow, 3 reds and 3 sort of maroon color-very other-worldly looking. Will be closely monitoring them. And for Ronster 1266-the plant staff assisted me but the description/care guide did mention adult size, water/sun requirements, etc. I find these guides really helpful. Failing that, or if given a plant as a gift, will look it up online. They are easily found even when using description only. As for the person asking why the little guys aren't getting bigger-they never will. A small plant and-best of all-they really like indoor living! dogsRbetter

On Dec 15, 2008, ronster1266 from Montrose, MI wrote:

I got this plant about three years ago from kmart. it was in a verry tiney pot and i transplanted it but it has not gotten any bigger, does anyone know why?

On May 11, 2008, sylvainyang from Edmond, OK wrote:

This cactus has a very eye catching, exotic look. reasonable price, easy care, easy too find as well. You could find them from most of the Lowe's Home Depot. A spoon siz tall Gymnocalycium Mihanovichii is only $5 at Lowes. Water it only the soil is compleatly dry or it will kill the plant. I personlly like to pick up the small suckers, that will make the main glob grow faster.

On Oct 30, 2005, cactus_lover from FSD
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

A novelty cactus that always be grown on graft,as it contains no food-making chlorophyll.Never let it become too cold.

On Mar 22, 2003, Chamma from Tennille, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

unusual cactus. The top of this cactus is not a fruit or flower but rather the gymnocalcymium. It does not contain chlorophyll and survives only by being grafted to a robust stock plact such as hylocereus.