Wild Garlic, Drummond's Onion, Drummond Wild Onion, Prairie Onion

Allium drummondii

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: drummondii (drum-AWN-dee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Allium helleri
Synonym:Allium nuttallii

Pale Pink

Fuchsia (Red-Purple)

This plant is resistant to deer

From bulbils

Garland, Texas

Hondo, Texas

Lipan, Texas

Pottsboro, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)

Santo, Texas

Taylor, Texas

On Jul 8, 2013, StillPlaysWDirt from (Becky), Lipan, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant grows wild on my property and has survived drought and being mowed over without any change in performance. Not very interesting of a plant compared to the things I've intentionally cultivated here, but it blooms with no attention whatsoever and is a cute little flower so I guess I'll keep it around. I collected a lot of seed from it for the first time this year and intend to scatter it around the yard in places that could use a little cheering up :)

On May 6, 2011, patkman from Blanco, TX wrote:

I don't grow wild garlic, but it occurs as a volunteer under my fig tree on the afternoon sun side, and has done so for many years. I water it about once a month if the weather is really dry. I have also ignored watering it and it does quite well on it's own.
I'm in downtown Blanco. I have also seen it growing wild in yards in Wimberley.

A question: How do I prepare it for table use?

On Apr 12, 2008, jojoringer from Joey in Conroe, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant grow along shady edges of my yard. Unfortunately one of these edges is where I decided to put perennial bed. It keeps popping up even through heavy mulch. It's not a terrible eyesore so I guess I will learn to coexist with it. It does make mowing the grass more fragrant.

On Apr 17, 2007, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Wild Garlic, Drummond's Onion, Drummond Wild Onion, Prairie Onion (Allium drummondii) is the most widely distributed wild onion species in Texas growing natively in various soils and vegetative areas. The 3/4 inch wide blooms have tepals not petals, appear on a slender flower stem, are clustered in an umbel. They produce shiny black seeds. An asexual form produces tiny bulbets at the tips of the flower stalks. This species may be distinguished from Allium canadense by examining the underground bulbs. The outer covering of Allium drummondii bulbs are papery; wheras, Allium canadense bulbs have a criss-cross fiber-type coating surrounding them. Both smell oniony and both types of bulbs are edible. Just do not confuse them with crow-poison, false garlic (Nothoscordum bivalve) which neither sm... read more

On Aug 12, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Native to Texas, New Mexico, western Nebraska, and northeastern Mexico; priaries and hillsides in limestone areas.This is one of the showier native species for garden cultivation, with loose umbels of starry flowers in white, pink, and rarely in wine-red. The small bulbs increase by division requiring full sun, good drainage, and average precipitation during the summer when they are dormant. I grow them in a clay pot as part of my native bulb collection.