Japanese Maple
Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'

Family: Sapindaceae (sap-in-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Acer (AY-ser) (Info)
Species: palmatum (pahl-MAY-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Bloodgood
» View all varieties of Japanese Maples

Group:

Palmatum (deeply divided leaves)

Provides winter interest

Fremont, California

Garberville, California

Lakewood, California

Lincoln, California

Los Angeles, California (2 reports)

Greenwich, Connecticut

Stamford, Connecticut

Bear, Delaware

Tallahassee, Florida

Atlanta, Georgia

Augusta, Georgia

Canton, Georgia

Conyers, Georgia (2 reports)

Covington, Georgia

Appleton, Wisconsin

Cambridge, Wisconsin

Franklin, Wisconsin

Merrimac, Wisconsin

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (2 reports)

Port Edwards, Wisconsin

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

On Apr 20, 2015, slknight424 from Eskridge, KS wrote:

It is April 20th here in zone 5b and our Bloodgood Maple is showing no sign of leafing out...I planted it carefully last spring as per instructions and it did well all summer and fall. Before the first frost I put a tomato cage over it and put in straw to protect it and keep rabbits from chewing on it. I removed the straw last week. The limbs are supple and seem to be alive. Does it leaf out late compared to other shrubs, trees or maples?

On Apr 11, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

In commerce, many different clones are sold under this name. It seems that some sellers believe that 'Bloodgood' is a catchall name for all seed-grown red-leafed A. palmatum.

The real 'Bloodgood' is one of the hardiest of Japanese maples and retains its deep red color all through the summer.

On Oct 4, 2014, RevWhitebeard from Riverhead, NY wrote:

This is a nascent star of my difficult back yard. The soil is sandy (in some places it's playing-in-the-beach sandy), the location is at the edge of the sprinkler range in dappled sunlight for about 6 hours of the day, and deer regularly dine with abandon in the area. Two years in, the tree, now 3.5 feet tall, has shown good development (about 7" growth per year) and continues to look promising. I planted it in a space widely supplemented by compost and provide a layer of mulch around it year round. To date, the only shortcoming I see is its lack of winter interest.

On Jul 15, 2014, JV145 from Greenwich, CT wrote:

I am not a gardener, nor a photographer for that matter (I posted two pictures of the Japanese Maple). I believe this tree has had a significant role in modifying the things that bring me enjoyment. It began with a logical curiosity as to how the limbs seem to defy physics, then the awe of the simple beauty and magnificence of the tree itself. One can get lost in there. And I do. Since adopting the tree, which came with the property, I have watched it come to life through Spring and Summer. I find myself spending an hour a day tending to rose bushes, the garden, flowers, trees and pesty weeds. Never in a million years did this die hard hockey player think this activity would bring such rewarding feelings. I know for a fact that the Maple was the inspiration that started it all. And a me... read more

On Nov 14, 2013, Mr_Monopoly from North Olmsted, OH wrote:

I have a Weeping variety of this tree. It came with the house when we moved and it is absolutely stunning during the growing season. In my opinion, it does best not by itself, but as a taller plant to be put behind smaller shrubs who's colors would contrast and compliment the wonderful red foliage of this lovely plant.

On Jul 27, 2010, DeDe602 from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ wrote:

We've planted the Acer Palmatum Bloodgood Japanese Maple in June 2006. In the spring it blooms to a beautiful crimson-red color. By July of each year, all the leaves turn to green and stay that color. The leaves all look very healthy but a few of them are dried and curling.

Could anyone tell me if this is normal for this tree to do that?

Or advise if we need to do something, to keep that crimson color. Our nursery advised to use Tree Tone fertilizer in March and again in mid-October.

On Dec 6, 2009, Lakeside3 from Jacksonville, NC wrote:

I purchased two "Bloodgood' maples about fifteen yrs ago; both were purchased at the same size; but one suffered from a blite and it's growth was stunt; I've managed to nurse back to god health after yrs of careful pruning; I have posted some spring and fall 2009 photos.

On May 11, 2009, swmbo64 from Franklin, WI wrote:

I'm in zone 5a. Planted last August on the North side of my house in a somewhat protected area from wind. Gets direct morning sun, about 3-4 hours per day. Well drained location, average soil. When I purchased from nursery, the tips of the leaves were a little browned. I was concerned at the time as the nursery gave no guarantees on Japanese maples. But it was the only Bloodgood cultivar left and that is what I wanted so I took a chance. The leaves have come in beautifully this Spring. So far, so good!

On Apr 13, 2009, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

Don't plant Japanese maples in dry, alkaline soils, or in exposed locations! A combination of the three proved nearly fateful to my Japanese maple that is still recovering after losing its handsome form and being transplanted to a completely different, much better climate.

On Jun 20, 2008, grampapa from Wheatfield, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I am in zone 6a. The tree was planted by the landscaper when we first built our house in 2002. Other than a little trimming every year, we have done nothing to it and it is just beautiful. And we have terrible clay soil. New spring growth is a burst of bright red in the sun. Then it settles down to the great burgundy of the rest of the tree. Highly recommended.

On Dec 28, 2006, otis from Morrison, TN wrote:

I grow 'Bloodgood' Japanese maples from cuttings. They are beautiful trees. I propagate hundreds of these each year. They need the morning sun and afternoon shade. Japanese maples need well drained soil.

On May 24, 2006, jjpsr1 from Woodstock, GA wrote:

This is the second bloodgood I have planted. The first one was on sale with no guarantee. Only the bottom 1/2 had leaves.

I removed that one, and purchased about a 7' tall, healthy, beautiful tree. This one was absolutely beautiful! About 2 weeks later , it is developing leaves that are turning brown and some leaves have whitish spots on them.
Some of the leaves in middle of tree are turning green, and look healthy,

Any ideas? Anyone!! I don't want to lose this beautiful specimen. Jim

On Apr 7, 2005, GardenKonig from Bronx, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

In August 2002 I purchased two of these lovely trees in Chinatown for $30! They were small specimens (a little over 12" tall) when I got them. They're around three feet tall now and budding.

I'm training them to grow upright and tall as opposed to short and bushy.

They're special trees and a great addition for any garden.

On Apr 27, 2004, charlena4 from Vass, NC wrote:

I think that is the most beautiful Japanese Maple I've seen in a long time. I love this tree. How does it thrive so well in such a small jar? It is definitely a conversation piece and adds excitement to any garden.

On Apr 1, 2004, tired wrote:

I have a Bloodgood Japanese Maple that has over 100 seedlings sprouting around it, and I would like to save them.

On Jun 11, 2003, cher_the_garden wrote:

My Japanese Maple looks beautiful by my zen garden,and adds drama to my waterfall pond.I live in Ontario Canada (zone6b) with great success!