Species Tulip
Tulipa turkestanica

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tulipa (TOO-li-pa) (Info)
Species: turkestanica (tur-kay-STAN-ee-kuh) (Info)

Division:

Division 15 - Species

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Blue-Green

Garberville, California

Hebron, Kentucky

Royal Oak, Michigan

Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)

Kansas City, Missouri

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

New Lisbon, Wisconsin

On Apr 10, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

These have naturalized and increased for me, here in Boston Z6a. We get too much summer rainfall here for most tulips to grow well long-term, but these do well. (Tulips require a dry summer rest, and summer irrigation can make them rot.)

All tulips are prime fodder for deer, voles, and other critters.

On Nov 16, 2013, MaryArneson from Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

I've planted a lot of species tulips over the years, but these have been the most vigorous. In a partly shaded, slightly raised patch of ground they have multiplied and spread. On a sunny day, they carpet the ground in the spring with cheery 6-pointed stars. They aren't babied at all, don't receive much supplemental water, and have no extra protection from our Minnesota winters. The only negative is that they close up and disappear whenever the sun isn't out.

On Apr 2, 2011, changeorelse from Kansas City, MO wrote:

I grew up vegetable gardening, but with a new house this year I though I would try to revamp our dilapidated flowerbed with some tulips. I bought the turkestanicas online, and they are beautiful! We had three inches of snow last week (the last week of March, which is late even here), but they pulled through and reappeared stronger than before. My neighbor inquired this afternoon to see if they were real!

I planted them as a border for the rest of my cube and double tulips, but the others are still foliage as of April 1st. I put them in with my standard manure/soil mix and topped them with Milorganite organic low-nitrogen fertilizer when shoots appeared.

I regret planting them in semi-shady spot, because they close their blooms early every evening. My husband ... read more

On May 27, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

The flowers strongly resembles Tulipa tarpa.Tulipa turkestanica have more triangle - like petals and carries tehir flowers on longer stalks - the flowers is smaller than Tulipa tarpa. For me this species blooms a bit later than Tulipa tarpa by a week to three but this year 2008 they bloom the same as Tulipa tarpa and Tulipa humilis depending on location - there are hot and cold spots often in the same yard. I would consider this species as tough as Tulipa tarpa - sold somewhat less than Tulipa tarpa in the plant trade but more often than some other species tulips like T. saxatilis.

On Dec 16, 2004, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

An excellent species tulip that appears to be fairly easy to grow. I got my bulbs in 2001 and they appear to be slowly increasing. The key to success is to allow them to stay fairly dry in summer. The plants are about 8-12" but narrow in habit allowing them to be used in the rock garden. Each stem produces 2-6 star-like cramy-white flowers with a yellow centre.

On Mar 26, 2003, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenes
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a charming small tulip which enjoys free draining soil in a position where the bulb will get a summer baking.