Chilean Potato Vine, Chilean Potato Tree
Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin'

Genus: Solanum (so-LAN-num) (Info)
Species: crispum (KRISP-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Glasnevin

Partial to Full Shade

Violet/Lavender

Provides winter interest

This plant is resistant to deer

Wilmer, Alabama

Port Townsend, Washington

Sequim, Washington

Shelton, Washington

On Jul 11, 2015, Highmtn from Cliff Dweller, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

OMG... we have named this plant Seymour (from Little Shop of Horrors). It was small not that long ago, and now it's insane. The down side is it's just way too "wild child-ish" for where I planted it. The upside? The vigorous and generous parade of blooms make it's unruly nature well worth while. When I first met this plant it was trained on a large trellis. It's not a vine. .it's a bush. A very large, sprawling bush. I break all the pruning rules and give it an aggressive trim when I can't get my car out of the garage anymore. I love the bush but regret not planting it in a different place. Judging by the size of it's trunk(s) now.. I'll never be able to relocate it.

On May 20, 2009, edgeplot from Seattle, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've grown this plant in my zone 8b Seattle garden for four years and it's doing great. It's covered in blooms from May to October and keeps its leaves year round. The stems are a little brittle and it benefits from growing on a support or through other plants. It's a vigorous grower but responds quickly to heavy pruning with a flush of new growth and blooms. It survived a week of heavy snow and several cold snaps down to 15F this winter and even retained its leaves. A great addition to the garden.

On Jul 7, 2006, bratbird from Chilliwack BC

I work in Ladner, BC and we have a beautiful Chilean just down the road from our office. This plant seems to be doing very well, although it is only about 2.5m tall and 3m wide. We're in Zone 7b, so don't despair if you live below Zone 9a!

On Apr 28, 2006, fluffygrue from Manchester
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

Very impressed with this plant - only purchased it a year ago, and it's tripled in size and covered in flowerbuds at the moment. We grow it in dry acidic clay against a sunny wall, and it's thriving. Lovely thing.

On Jul 16, 2003, sphillips wrote:

I purchased a Chilean Potato Vine from our local garden centre approximately 3 years ago. I planted it alongside a 200 year old outbuilding on our farm here in West Wales, facing South East.

The soil at the foot of the wall was quite poor. The plant did fairly well. In the second year I applied a pile of used 'potting compost' (i.e. that had been in various containers the previous summer) to the surface. The plant really took hold and thrived.

We pruned it this spring, and this summer it has gone 'bolistic'!! It has always had a good cover of lovely flowers every summer right through to Autumn (Fall).

What amazes me is the size it is growing to. It has outgrown the height of the single storey building we planted it against! The spread is ... read more